BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Scammed by Mode Carbon

12-02-2023, 06:52 AM   #1
BlueberryM3
Supreme Leader
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Scammed by Mode Carbon

Hey guys, I originally posted this on the e9x forums, but wanted to share this here as well to spread the word.

I wanted to share my recent horrible experience with Mode Carbon.

On July 24th, I ordered a Mode Carbon front lip for my e92 m3 through Extreme Power House, but I soon canceled my order as I decided to go with RW Carbon. The next day, Sam Akdemir, the “marketing director” of Mode Carbon, directly reached out to me and said he would give me his distributor discount if I continued with the purchase.

I was hesitant to proceed since he said that he only accepts Zelle, but since the email address that I was sending money to on Zelle was the official Mode Carbon company email––and I’ve bought parts from him years ago for my F82 M4 without issues––I decided to proceed.

Boy, was that a mistake.

After the 4-6 week lead time that he told me initially, I’ve been either ignored or lied to that my front lip is finished. He even sometimes messages me switching back and forth saying that it’s finished and it’s still in production. At one point, he even called me an a**hole for calling him out.

Here's a Google photos link containing screenshots of the conversation: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wrn9bhM7QfFqRFHz8

I’ve also tried reaching out to their “customer service” by calling the number on their site. Spoiler alert: It’s out of service. After researching a bit more on the internet (and finding several other posts where people ran into these issues with Mode Carbon), I found out that the business has been dissolved, but they still continue to take orders that they won't fulfill.

I know that Mode Carbon was once a respectable company in the car community, so I’m bewildered as to how they got this bad over the past few years. My theory is that either A) Sam has gone crazy and decided to start serially scamming people or B) They sold the business to someone else who is now scamming people.

I really hope this saves someone else from making the same mistake I did. Lesson learned is never wire money to ANY company on the internet.
Appreciate 9
DanG10660.50
chris7197334.00
Hankdoll135.50
shaneguags1192.50
      12-02-2023, 09:07 AM   #2
rogeroger
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235i, 2002

Thanks for sharing your experience and watching out for the rest of us. Ive seen similar reviews from others on this M2 forum. Bottom line, don’t order from Mode.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2023, 02:14 PM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I saw them selling AliExpress exhaust tips for 50 times the cost and thought, yeah, not doing business with them.
Appreciate 4
chris7197334.00
shaneguags1192.50
      12-02-2023, 05:08 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

If true, bizarre actions from a company that’s probably about ready to go under. I mean, begging for a Zelle payment to save one sale? That’s desperation.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-02-2023, 11:24 PM   #5
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Back in 2018 I bought their rear spoiler for my M2 and the first one was so badly warped I had to reach out and have it RMA'd, which Mode was very responsive and sent another one immediately. The replacement had a burr that wouldn't let it sit flush, I had to grind it off but otherwise it's been a solid piece. The Mode Carbon rep asked me if I would make a post here with pics of the replacement spoiler, which I thought was super weird but fair game.

I've been hearing increasingly worse things about this company over the last few years, sad to see how things have progressed.
      12-03-2023, 11:19 AM   #6
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

so many people have had issues with them, there was a few threads either last year or this year about it. The problem was that mode was a sponsor of bimmerpost and think some of it was getting buried. I think they have now cut ties. Iw as trying to find something about a mode lip (its getting sold in the marketplace, I would never buy new from mode and the post about it by mode is now deleted so I think they have deleted a lot of stuff here, maybe because had people complaining I would assume).

But yeah terrible company, sad that they keep scamming with little punishment.

But also a lesson for future buyers, never ever ever ever ever pay zelle or friends and family or anything like that unless you personally know the person (and even then, make sure its them and their account did not get hacked)
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2023, 07:25 PM   #7
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, VW GTI 3.6, Infiniti G25x

once they ask for zelle its a red flag
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 07:39 PM   #8
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Sam’s account shows banned. Hopefully BimmerPost has shaken off these crooks for good.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 12:07 AM   #9
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Sam’s account shows banned. Hopefully BimmerPost has shaken off these crooks for good.
They’ve been banned and unbanned many times. Bimmerpost is complacent in the continuous scams and shady practices of mode carbon
Appreciate 0