BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > F87 M2 Competition - Oil in Turbo

08-01-2023, 12:22 PM   #1
TreeBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition & F30 335i

F87 M2 Competition - Oil in Turbo

Good Morning/Afternoon,

I will make this as detailed but as quick as possible for anyone willing to give some thoughts/opinions.

I have an M2 Competition with an extensive list of modifications done to the car. I have added a smaller list of mods below for only the parts that may be relevant.

-Pure Turbos Stage 2+
-VRSF Catless Downpipes
-Active Autowerks Equal Length Midpipe
-EU5 injectors
-RK Autowerks S55 Crank Hub (irrelevant, but for those who are wondering lol)
-Eventuri Intakes and Charge Pipes
-Garret Motion Top Mount Cooler
-oil cooler upgraded, heat exchanger upgraded, etc.

So I had a bad ots tune on my car that was configured incorrectly which is assumed to have caused my stage 2 plus rear turbo failure the 1st time. This was only the rear turbo, the front was fine. So I did the whole process shipping it to Pure Turbos, them not opening the box for 3 weeks just for them to send me a turbo the same day I called. Was happy to get that over with and the car was fine after installing that turbo.

Before getting on the road again I tuned custom with F80 Paul and THEN got on the road. The M2 was performing amazingly for maybe a month.

I then got an oil change and decided to move away from the GTS trans-tune to stage 3 XHP. About 2-3 days after that, my exhaust was smoking white. I drove another 2-3 days then brought the car to the shop. We found oil in the rear turbo again... with the front intact.

I see Pure Turbos is a great company and manufacturer but it seems if this is on them, I have very, very, extremely bad luck...

Sent the turbo to Pure Turbos once again and they have not even opened the box in the 2 weeks it has been after a recent phone call today.

This is an interesting situation that makes it seem like there is an underlining issue, or the 2nd rear turbo was defective somehow.

Please leave thoughts, opinions, and solutions to help a fellow BMW enthusiast out! If there is any confusion or anything that requires more explanation, please let me know.
Attached Images

Last edited by TreeBimmer; 08-06-2023 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: edit for pictures
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 06:50 AM   #2
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

I doubt you got 2 bad turbos in a row, and while I have no idea what your problem is, I don't think its the turbo itself
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 12:51 PM   #3
TreeBimmer
United_States
Rep

Yeah I would doubt that too but we are guessing the first time was due to the OTS tune filled out wrong that caused it the first time. its possible something else made it happen the second time. i wonder what can cause oil keep getting in the turbo. Unless both times were caused by something from the M2 itself

also an update from Pure, their VSR Balancing Machine is broken. All their orders are on hold until they can get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 03:10 AM   #4
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBimmer View Post
Yeah I would doubt that too but we are guessing the first time was due to the OTS tune filled out wrong that caused it the first time. its possible something else made it happen the second time. i wonder what can cause oil keep getting in the turbo. Unless both times were caused by something from the M2 itself

also an update from Pure, their VSR Balancing Machine is broken. All their orders are on hold until they can get it fixed.
Keep us updated on the car. Have you tried taking it to an indy to get it checked out?

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 03:13 AM   #5
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
Keep us updated on the car. Have you tried taking it to an indy to get it checked out?
Also, maybe there’s an oil leak somewhere near the turbos that’s causing the issue? Or maybe your feed lines are bad? I’m not too knowledgeable in the area so this may be a shot in the dark

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 12:43 PM   #6
TreeBimmer
United_States
Rep

Hey there Turnsignalslol! I will 100% keep updating this post, even after I get the car back on the road.

So currently my car is sitting at my trusted shop. Long story short, the owner is an amazing dude and has helped revive my 335i from death multiple times. They looked at the feed lines and everything checks out fine as well as my oil itself being clear from any fragments.

I myself don't know much at all regarding this situation and haven't really been able to find much information on it except one previous forum saying the BMW dealership was saying oil on the turbo itself was normal... weird.

The M2c has been sitting on the lift for weeks now and nothing has been found other than the initial oil in the turbo. I did talk to PureTurbos last Thursday about their balancing machine and I don't really know how that works but hopefully whatever that machine does helps prevent this in the future. I suppose if it does happen again, there is an underlining issue within the car itself that we have not been able to diagnose.

Lastly, Pure does not know when the machine will get fixed, hopefully, this week. If so, when we get the car down from the lift I am going to send a log to F80 Paul just to see if there is anything within the tune that looks off. I guess that is just to cancel out any suspicions even though this doesn't really come across as a tuner, I don't think.

I added my shop to this thread incase any ideas come along.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 12:49 PM   #7
TreeBimmer
United_States
Rep

Another reason I am not opposed to the defective or wrong turbo theory is that there is an AMG in the shop that has the same situation as me and Pure sent them the turbo back exactly how they sent it to them.

I really hope it is not an identical situation.

I attached images into the original message at the top of this thread.

Last edited by TreeBimmer; 08-06-2023 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: edited for spell checks lol*
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 09:05 AM   #8
TreeBimmer
United_States
Rep

Quick Update; some good news, PureTurbos unexpectedly shipped out the Rear Stage 2+ Turbo, and arrived at the shop today.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 03:00 PM   #9
TreeBimmer
United_States
Rep

Update: I got the M2c back on the road yesterday and drives great. PureTurbos actually send me another turbo and so far so good. I will make sure to keep updating if any issues come up.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 08:26 AM   #10
TreeBimmer
United_States
Rep

12 days since last update

The M2c has been running great and has had no problems. Hopefully, this situation has passed.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      09-14-2023, 08:42 PM   #11
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, VW GTI 3.6, Infiniti G25x

did the logs show anything?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 12:53 AM   #12
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Any updates?

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 12:06 PM   #13
TreeBimmer
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the delay...

Could say everything with the M2c has been great ever since Pure Turbos sent another stage 2+ rear turbo.

No issues since the installation. It is all still speculation and it may be unlikely but it seems it was a faulty pure turbo. To note; the car's mod setup has not changed throughout the entirety of the turbo issues.

The only thing is this. Obviously, you know when the car does not sound the same or does not drive the same. That being said, I do not have any burbles in my tune. Not really against burbles, just not too fun to go around town with those on as it gets annoying for me. I did enable them on one boring Sunday afternoon pretty recently and I noticed the car's exhaust and shifting felt and sounded sluggish in a way. I ended up reverting back to no burbles and never had that again.

I do have catless downpipes, resonated equal length midpipe from Active Autowerks, as well as m perforance back box, so the sound is pretty easy to tell if not the same as every other day.

Again, all speculation but maybe even the burbles caused this issue, in some 1 in a 1000 chance.

This may all be me being paranoid with the turbo issues lol. Everything is fine now. Going to be waiting some longer before I do any more modifications (probably interior lighting).
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 12:07 PM   #14
TreeBimmer
United_States
Rep

nope, nothing unusual since getting back on the road.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2023, 03:51 AM   #15
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I'm just curious. Is everything still running good?

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0