BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > For people who have owned the OG M2 & an S55

11-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #111
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Hmm. I drive mine all year round except when there is snow on the ground (a few days a year). Drove it today to the grocery store.
That’s awesome Dan

I drive an electric appliance for my daily lol

I’m doing brakes all around on my M2 while I have some time over the holidays
      12-07-2023, 10:52 PM   #112
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timchump View Post
Hi,

I’ve been an OG M2 owner for about 4 years.
I was and still am in love with it, by far the best car I’ve ever owned.
It looks stunning, goes like stink, and sounds incredible.

Today I “upgraded” to a M2 competition by part exchanging my OG M2 and a fistful of dollars at a BMW dealership
My decision to upgrade was off the back of many reviews, stating the competition is the better car, the one to have…
Chris Harris and many other critics…

And to be honest I massively regret my decision

I’m gutted if I could go back in time and swap back I would but I’m legally the new owner of the M2 Competition.
realistically I think I’ll have to sell up and buy back an OG

It’s the sound, the OG M2 sounds incredible, for me going from the OG to the Comp. Is like going from a V10 to an electric car, yes I’m going very fast in the M2 comp but because the sound is so muted I’m not enjoying it nearly as much as I did in the OG M2.
Sorry I don’t want to upset anybody I know the S55 is an incredible engine, maybe I will learn to love it, but the N55 in the OG just sounds soo soo good.

Is there anybody out there who feels the same?

And is it possible to remedy the sound of the S55 to be good as the N55?

I’ve heard good things about the active autoworke exhausts.
But I guess I’m weary I could spend a load of money “trying” to make the S55 sound better, but it will never sound like the N55
And whether I’m just better off putting it down to experience and going back to the OG M2
I appreciate the s55 is technically better and highly tuneable
But realistically I don’t think there are many people who have driven the OG M2 and can say it’s slow.
Is there away to SIGNIFICANTLY improve the sound of the S55?
Please only reply if you’ve genuinely owned the OGM2 and an S55 in any form
My mother-in-law has an M2C. I drive it often enough and it kept me from needing to go out a purchase an M2 for myself for the longest time... I LOVED the OG when it came out, almost bought one each year for years in a row but ended up with other cars and projects instead.
I recently picked up a 2017 "performance" edition. I can't get past the sound of the M2C... it's always been the deal breaker for me!
M2 sounds SOOOOO much better!!!
      12-07-2023, 10:59 PM   #113
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey View Post
maybe my car is a wierd one...but my clutch, gas, break is on the SAME side as my steering wheel
      12-08-2023, 02:25 AM   #114
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
I had an OG M2 for 4 years, lci model so one of the later ones. Ran stage 2 and some decent handling mods, I was actually considering selling up and trying something else but had made up my mind to keep. That was until some dude in a truck decided to rear end and make the decision for me!

So after the unfortunate event I felt the natural progression was to go for the M2 comp, when I test drove the comp to me it felt a better setup car out the box. Not sure why as they share parts between OG / comp and my previous car also had the carbon brace fitted. But steering feel in comp just felt good standard.

Interior wise was virtually same plus couple extra buttons for M1/M2 modes. If you’re coming from stock OG seats I reckon comps will be a bit more supportive on sides but if you have electric ones seems like they don’t go as low? I had retrofitted M4C seats in my OG and I’m certain they went lower.

No doubt the N55 does sound great especially paired with a sport cat, or aftermarket exhaust system. Many times I would get compliments on how the OG car sounded. When I got the comp I was a bit underwhelmed with noise, but being a UK car we have to have OPFs fitted. Have since had an AA single mid fitted and the difference is quite remarkable, with valves closed you can potter about barely louder than stock. But with the valves open it really does sing now, and I may be a minority here but I actually do think the S55 sounds good, it’s just different than N55 but I wouldn’t say it’s an offensive sound.

Have since started transferring all the mods over to the comp, coilovers, camber plates etc so time will tell if I build same kind of relationship with the car (only had comp since sept) but I feel like it’s gonna be a keeper!
Appreciate 0