BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Any one else notice a slight metallic noise with power at low RPMs

02-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #1
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Any one else notice a slight metallic noise with power at low RPMs

I think it could be simply intake noise, but it has more of a metallic noise than I'm used to with intake noise. I notice it around town when gently accelerating from 1500 RPM or so and only for a brief second. This is with the windows down as well, so it's not extremely noticeable.

Just wondering if others have noticed it, or if it may be some kind of issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I haven't noticed anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

It just sounds like a DI engine to me. Nothing unusual. Fairly standard loud injectors and mechanical HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
dsforman13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
I think it could be simply intake noise, but it has more of a metallic noise than I'm used to with intake noise. I notice it around town when gently accelerating from 1500 RPM or so and only for a brief second. This is with the windows down as well, so it's not extremely noticeable.

haven't noticed it. if its a grinding type of noise i have no idea. If its more of a ticking noise its probably the Injectors. Again, i haven't noticed on this car but my previous car Merc C63S i heard it all the time especially with the windows down. Gotta Fuel that V8. Even this car is Thirsty.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #5
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsforman13 View Post
Quote:

haven't noticed it. if its a grinding type of noise i have no idea. If its more of a ticking noise its probably the Injectors. Again, i haven't noticed on this car but my previous car Merc C63S i heard it all the time especially with the windows down. Gotta Fuel that V8. Even this car is Thirsty.
It's more of a grinding but ever so slight, definitely not a ticking. Could just be turbo spooling? Again it's very specific to low RPM and a short 1/4 to mid throttle push and goes away after 2K RPM or so.

I don't have the ceramic brakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #6
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

It isn't in the drivetrain? Definetaly from under the hood?
      02-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #7
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
rattling exhaust valves?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I think I'm just being paranoid. It's definitely there, but may just be the intake and exhaust giving out noise at the same time. Really only hear it with the windows down and noise bouncing off of buildings in town.

Maybe it's a slight exhaust valve rattle. I do keep it in Sport+ all the time. But then I would think it wouldn't go away at higher revs.

I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned about.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
I think I'm just being paranoid. It's definitely there, but may just be the intake and exhaust giving out noise at the same time. Really only hear it with the windows down and noise bouncing off of buildings in town.

Maybe it's a slight exhaust valve rattle. I do keep it in Sport+ all the time. But then I would think it wouldn't go away at higher revs.

Is it possible to record it or is it not loud enough to be easily recorded?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 04:09 PM   #10
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
Quote:

Is it possible to record it or is it not loud enough to be easily recorded?
Probably would be hard to discern with a video from my phone, but maybe I'll have my wife record while I drive later to see if it gets captured.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 04:50 PM   #11
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I've been there before. Driving thru buildings saying...oh shit, my car sounds like that! Never knew.

I'm sure it's nothing but have that nothing confirmed at your break in service.
mfarrzhp1492.50
      02-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #12
maxxfish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Exhaust heat shields tend to vibrate at certain RPMs and make a disconcerting sound....
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1492.50
      02-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #13
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
I've been there before. Driving thru buildings saying...oh shit, my car sounds like that! Never knew.

I'm sure it's nothing but have that nothing confirmed at your break in service.
Check your LSD
      02-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #14
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Check your LSD
Who me? I don't have an issue with the CS...at least not yet. It is a BMW after all
      02-19-2021, 04:47 PM   #15
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Check your LSD
Who me? I don't have an issue with the CS...at least not yet. It is a BMW after all
From what I've read, when the noise presents itself and becomes more apparent over time, one should get the LSD checked - there have been cases reported with faulty diffs that have had to be replaced. These are not necessarily track cars either.

If you hear a whistling metallic noise, it might be the diff (though it might also be something else entirely but it wouldn't hurt getting your local dealership to include the LSD in their list of items to check when investigating).

Apparently in some instances the warning sign lights up in the display cluster but not in all instances. In one case that I read about, the problem occurred well before the first break-in service after only a few days on the road.

This problem was apparently also noted with the F82s where the LSD was originally used in
mfarrzhp1492.50
      02-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #16
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxfish View Post
Exhaust heat shields tend to vibrate at certain RPMs and make a disconcerting sound....
Concur heat shielding rattling would be a leading candidate .. get that all the time when driving by buildings or Jersey barriers in my 02 540i
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #17
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Wondering if you are hearing the noisy pilot bearing? Not sure if you have a 6spd
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #18
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Wondering if you are hearing the noisy pilot bearing? Not sure if you have a 6spd
It is a 6 speed. I haven't really noticed it lately. I guess I've been pushing it a bit harder.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:05 PM   #19
TBURKE555
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Sounds like the soda can crunch from the OG M2. Just heard the sound in my 2021 M2C . Maybe you are hearing the same thing. Never an issue in my OG M2. Drove over 40k before trading for a Comp
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #20
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBURKE555 View Post
Sounds like the soda can crunch from the OG M2. Just heard the sound in my 2021 M2C . Maybe you are hearing the same thing. Never an issue in my OG M2. Drove over 40k before trading for a Comp
I'll have to look that up.

I had the windows down and did a fairly hard launch from a light to 4500 rpms or so due to a tight merge. Not floored, but maybe 70% in sport plus. It was loud that time and right as the clutch engaged. The sound lasts just under one second.

I'll definitely have it checked during the break in service.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #21
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

I had the windows down and did a fairly hard launch from a light to 4500 rpms or so due to a tight merge. Not floored, but maybe 70% in sport plus. It was loud that time and right as the clutch engaged. The sound lasts just under one second.

It's the dual mass flywheel. Lots of 6MT owners of the M235 and M2 have noticed this sound. It's sometimes more prevalent when the motor is warmed up, all windows up, and the radio off.

I noticed the sound when my car was barely 6 months old. It was a little unnerving to me to because it sounded like a spun rod bearing, but a lot more muted. That was 4.5 years ago now and the flywheel still makes the same sounds. The motor runs strong as ever. No issues with all of the drivetrain.
      03-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #22
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:

It's the dual mass flywheel. Lots of 6MT owners of the M235 and M2 have noticed this sound. It's sometimes more prevalent when the motor is warmed up, all windows up, and the radio off.

I noticed the sound when my car was barely 6 months old. It was a little unnerving to me to because it sounded like a spun rod bearing, but a lot more muted. That was 4.5 years ago now and the flywheel still makes the same sounds. The motor runs strong as ever. No issues with all of the drivetrain.
The thing I most love about your post is your signature; how incredibly true is that? What an eye opener

The forest was shrinking, but the Trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the Trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.
Jimjamz4595.00