BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Apple CarPlay is finally a free feature in BMW vehicles

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #133
MADBMWX3
First Lieutenant
MADBMWX3's Avatar
United_States
165
Rep
322
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertrashjr View Post
My expiration was yesterday. Just checked connection and there is no interruption. 👍🏻

Exactly the question I had in mind...what happens when it expires....thx
__________________
2019 BMW X3 M40i Black Metallic Sapphire
Before 2013 BMW X1 and 2005 BMW X3
2017 Ford Expedition King Ranch
2006 Ford Mustang GT Convertible (show car)
Appreciate 1
clee1982612.00

      12-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #134
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
558
Rep
3,294
Posts

Drives: various BMW
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Would be nice if they finally got started on Android Auto too...something else they are dragging their heels on.
Yes, please!
__________________
2017 540i | 2019 X3 | 2019 540i MSport
Appreciate 2
JonEQuest202.00
AD18156.50

      12-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #135
Pure Driven
New Member
United_States
7
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: BMW 430i GC
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I want my $300 back
Me too I just paid that in October

Edit: https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/4/2...al-fee-vehicle

According to that link it says 2019/2020 models nice!!

Last edited by Pure Driven; 12-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: added link for reference
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN2508.00

      12-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #136
clee1982
Major
United_States
612
Rep
1,483
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
They just refunded my credit card.
awesome, so I guess once Jan has passed I should be good to go!
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #137
VirtualGuitars
Major
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
675
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
They just refunded my credit card.
awesome, so I guess once Jan has passed I should be good to go!
When I spoke to BMW Assist™ Customer Care they said they knew this was coming, but have not been given any internal memos yet on how it's going to work. I'm not worried about it. My current subscription doesn't expire on January 14th.
__________________
2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan | 2018 BMW 230i Coupe | 2017 X6 BMW xDrive35i | 2011 BMW S1000RR (BMW Motorrad) | 2008 BMW 528i Sedan
Appreciate 1
clee1982612.00

      12-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #138
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
72
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: BMW 335xi E92 N55
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Just went to download this, ive had it this whole time
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #139
VirtualGuitars
Major
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
675
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iM3an View Post
There will not be refunds offered if you paid for it.
Negative. They refunded my $300 in full last night.
__________________
2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan | 2018 BMW 230i Coupe | 2017 X6 BMW xDrive35i | 2011 BMW S1000RR (BMW Motorrad) | 2008 BMW 528i Sedan
Appreciate 2
clee1982612.00
zamboni550.00

      12-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #140
535i MSport
Lieutenant
535i MSport's Avatar
United Kingdom
491
Rep
519
Posts

Drives: 2017 C63S T
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchris View Post
Sucks for the people who run Android. Now they are paying for something they don't need or want. Just like moonroofs.
Why do you guys call it a moonroof? In the U.K. it's called a sunroof....
__________________
2017 M3 Comp Pack 450PS

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1
zamboni550.00

      12-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #141
NeverEnough007
Private
32
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i & 1991 Mtechnic E30
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

I wasn’t going to pay either way. CarPlay is only nice to have for Waze and that’s it. Music apps all work via Bluetooth. The annoyances far outweighed the benefits. I sit in traffic for my commute. Opening a web link to a bring a trailer auction for example forces the audio to move from whatever I am listening to over to the web audio that doesn’t exist. I am guessing the active countdown tricks the system into thinking something is playing. Same with using Shazam. The use of microphone automatically thinks I am trying to give a command and kills the music I am trying to Shazam. I believe these are Apple issues.

I am guessing BMW told Apple their prices were too high, Apple wouldn’t negotiate, and BMW said, okay, we will charge for it and see what the take rate is to prove or disprove the value add Apple claims and charges for. Apple likely wouldn’t like the results so, they were likely more willing to negotiate to avoid the bad press of dismal take rates.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #142
Jason340Msport
Captain
United_States
170
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: BMW of Bel Air, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Just signed someone up today and it is already free!
I just tried to do it and its still showing a $300 charge
__________________
2020 M340i xDrive
2016 340i xDrive
2013 335i M Sport
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #143
clee1982
Major
United_States
612
Rep
1,483
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough007 View Post
I wasn’t going to pay either way. CarPlay is only nice to have for Waze and that’s it. Music apps all work via Bluetooth. The annoyances far outweighed the benefits. I sit in traffic for my commute. Opening a web link to a bring a trailer auction for example forces the audio to move from whatever I am listening to over to the web audio that doesn’t exist. I am guessing the active countdown tricks the system into thinking something is playing. Same with using Shazam. The use of microphone automatically thinks I am trying to give a command and kills the music I am trying to Shazam. I believe these are Apple issues.

I am guessing BMW told Apple their prices were too high, Apple wouldn’t negotiate, and BMW said, okay, we will charge for it and see what the take rate is to prove or disprove the value add Apple claims and charges for. Apple likely wouldn’t like the results so, they were likely more willing to negotiate to avoid the bad press of dismal take rates.
I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't charge for CarPlay at all, it's the development cost for BMW, imagine you're the BMW engineer who has to support this 15 years down the road...

though most likely scenario is they (or all the manufacture for that matter) just going to drop support whenever they feel it's not worth it... (like iOS xxx ver to iOS ver yyy kind of continuous rolling window)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #144
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
M135iXdriver's Avatar
Switzerland
144
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frinckster View Post
My apple carplay will expire on Dec. 6, its still showing $300. [IMG][/IMG]
Mine is showing USD 415.- buuuuut... unlimited. So now it's an option you just buy once.
__________________
2019 - BMW M5C MY2019 (Individual Urban Green)
2016 - VW Passat B8 2.0 TSI (276 bhp) R-Line (sold)
2013 - BMW M135i xDrive (sold)
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #145
Wild Blue
Lieutenant Colonel
Wild Blue's Avatar
United_States
550
Rep
1,534
Posts

Drives: 2004 BMW 330i w/ZHP Perf Pkg
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Good news, that we've been advocating, for some time. Good job, BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #146
Alpine300zhp
Major
615
Rep
1,220
Posts

Drives: 19 X6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iM3an View Post
There will not be refunds offered if you paid for it.
Negative. They refunded my $300 in full last night.
Nice!!!
__________________
~ 19 X6M
~ Prior BMW's - Too many to list here (25)
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #147
VirtualGuitars
Major
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
675
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M135iXdriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frinckster View Post
My apple carplay will expire on Dec. 6, its still showing $300. [IMG][/IMG]
Mine is showing USD 415.- buuuuut... unlimited. So now it's an option you just buy once.
When I talked to BMW Assist™ Customer Care last night, they said they're rolling the changes out soon... like you, I recently renewed with the 20 year subscription (which has always been considered lifetime), but they refunded me in full.
__________________
2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan | 2018 BMW 230i Coupe | 2017 X6 BMW xDrive35i | 2011 BMW S1000RR (BMW Motorrad) | 2008 BMW 528i Sedan
Appreciate 1
clee1982612.00

      12-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #148
Cowleyman
New Member
United Kingdom
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 C/P
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Chester

iTrader: (0)

Not free on BMW Uk . It was £185 back Friday. Now £265
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #149
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
876
Rep
1,861
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKthePM View Post
I have iDrive 6 and its available.
You are correct! Just went to my 2020 M4 with iDrive 6 and it showed up in Connected Drive! I'm good for 20 years and didn't even have to sign up for it.

I just need to install the full screen patch now.
How do you install the full screen patch?
Contact kubax86
__________________

2012 335iS DCT / MHD / E50 Protune by Wedge / RB 1.75" Inlets / Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP / BMS OCC / Mishimoto OCC / Plugged Head Ports / RB PCV / N20 TMAP / VRSF DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF DP / ER CP & Tial BOV / Michelin PS4S / PR Coils / NGK 97506 @ .028 gap / M3 Suspension

Appreciate 2
      12-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #150
NeverEnough007
Private
32
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i & 1991 Mtechnic E30
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't charge for CarPlay at all, it's the development cost for BMW, imagine you're the BMW engineer who has to support this 15 years down the road...

though most likely scenario is they (or all the manufacture for that matter) just going to drop support whenever they feel it's not worth it... (like iOS xxx ver to iOS ver yyy kind of continuous rolling window)
They charge licensing fees. You think Apple does this for free? They nickel and dime everything.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #151
clee1982
Major
United_States
612
Rep
1,483
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough007 View Post
They charge licensing fees. You think Apple does this for free? They nickel and dime everything.
not for carplay, apple took that one out the android playbook, pretty sure I read Apple charge nothing to manufacture
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #152
pizza240
Private First Class
150
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C 6MT HS
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I have a feeling that Apple wasn't too happy with BMW when they decided to charge extra for it...

I nearly switched back to Spotify from Apple Music despite sharing the plan with a large family. The BMW Bluetooth Audio seems buggy without going through CarPlay. Spent a lot of time driving without music for the last two weeks since CarPlay expired!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #153
2020g20
Private First Class
63
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
not for carplay, apple took that one out the android playbook, pretty sure I read Apple charge nothing to manufacture
Licensing fees, no licensing fees, it's all moot. BMW was the ONLY manufacturer directly passing any sort of CarPlay licensing/development/support costs onto the customer.

Glad to see the market put them in their place on this one.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #154
ghaffari46
Second Lieutenant
223
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: bmw m3 e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: us

iTrader: (0)

Make it work flawlessly first!
I have it on both M5 and x7. It's touch and go at best.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
carplay

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST