BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 2020 Corvette C8 an M2 Killer?

08-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #221
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMurphM2Comp View Post
Check out the buttons arranged in a single line. It would take me forever to locate what I'm looking for. I would have to take my eyes off the road every time. I know I'm nitpicking here because it appears to be a phenomenal vehicle but who thought that was a good idea?
That just with every car, at first you have to get used to the the button layout and menus etc.

The interior is nice and cockpit/ driver oriented like the old supra

Id get one if i had the extra dough!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #222
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

I'll be seriously considering unloading my M2 for a C8 if they come out with a GranSport option. To me the C7 GranSport was the sweet spot on the Vette lineup. It was the true sports car in the lineup as it was NA. Didnt suffer the cooling problems, but had all the braking, and handling goodies from the Z06. The only issue I ever had with the previous generation Vettes was the slicked back hair, chest hair, tank top, gold chain retirees that seemed to flock to the car in droves. I'm by no stretch a millennial, but I'm not ready to start going out for the early bird specials yet either. At 44 years old I just didnt see myself in a Vette...with this car I can completely see myself in it!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #223
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
I'll be seriously considering unloading my M2 for a C8 if they come out with a GranSport option. To me the C7 GranSport was the sweet spot on the Vette lineup. It was the true sports car in the lineup as it was NA. Didnt suffer the cooling problems, but had all the braking, and handling goodies from the Z06. The only issue I ever had with the previous generation Vettes was the slicked back hair, chest hair, tank top, gold chain retirees that seemed to flock to the car in droves. I'm by no stretch a millennial, but I'm not ready to start going out for the early bird specials yet either. At 44 years old I just didnt see myself in a Vette...with this car I can completely see myself in it!
With the way the C8 Stingray Z51 is being packaged, I really dont see much of a need for a C8 GS
      08-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #224
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
With the way the C8 Stingray Z51 is being packaged, I really dont see much of a need for a C8 GS
The C7 Z51 is essentially the GS without the Z06 widebody and tires. There’s rumor that the C8 Z06 won’t be any wider but will have more more aero and cooling, but that’s all speculation.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:21 AM   #225
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Learnt that the C8 will be just under the price of a brand new Godzilla when it gets to Australia. Apparently we will only get the high spec one. So I guess the UK and other RHD markets will be the same.

If in the market for a gauche high speed beast I'd think Godzilla would be a no brainer over the C8 though.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #226
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Learnt that the C8 will be just under the price of a brand new Godzilla when it gets to Australia. Apparently we will only get the high spec one. So I guess the UK and other RHD markets will be the same.

If in the market for a gauche high speed beast I'd think Godzilla would be a no brainer over the C8 though.
Honestly, if you’re going to stick with a front engine design, I’d get a C7 Z06 vs an aging GTR design. Plus you can get the Z06 in manual and learn to deal with LHD.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #227
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post

What high spec one? To date they’ve only announced the base C8, nothing but rumors on the Z06 or Zora (formerly ZR1). That said they are getting so many preorders the first production year is nearly sold out in the USA. I bet RHD countries like Australia are already sold out.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #228
HawaiiShrimp
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 (MT)

As much as I love the C8, I am also very conscious about reliability and potential maintenance / repair cost. I do realize that BMW itself is not cheap or super reliable. However, consider the C8 is:

1. First year model
2. Made by Chevy
3. Mid-engine layout
4. Brand new chassis
5. Brand new auto trans
6. All new electronics, sensors
7. New SW (e.g. front lift gate)

It won't surprise me if there will be lots of bugs or even recalls in the first few years. Also, as great as Mid-engine placement benefits can be, it's a pain to maintain and service. It often requires engine out to service some basic repair needs.

I have never own an American cars but I have heard enough horrible stories from friends and relatives about cheaply made parts, unreliable engines/trans issues on and on... Until C8 has proven to be a "reliable enough" vehicle, I won't sink my money into it quite yet. Just my honest opinion at this time with the information I have. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      08-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #229
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I hear ya, since my M2C is just one year old, I can wait. Also I was driving around today thinking about giving up my third peddle. The C8 will have to jump through hoops to entice me to switch to an auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 05:18 AM   #230
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
I drove the c7 z06 with its 650hp and the m2 back to back once. The corvette is definitely more sports car but the m2 is more fun. It also does not scream Look at me !! Maybe some years down the line I will get a used c8 if I'm lucky but I could never drive a mid engined car. It always wants to go straight while turning.
I did this with the 718 S and felt the exact same way except for the fact the 718 felt nice and small. The C7 GS I was in felt big and the C8 will as well. I just happen to be a fan of small cars. My 1M was tops, the M2 feels bigger but makes the cut.

You should drive an AMG GTs, hood so long it feels like a runway...lol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #231
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
I did this with the 718 S and felt the exact same way except for the fact the 718 felt nice and small. The C7 GS I was in felt big and the C8 will as well. I just happen to be a fan of small cars. My 1M was tops, the M2 feels bigger but makes the cut.

You should drive an AMG GTs, hood so long it feels like a runway...lol
Many people are thinking the mid engine will make the C8 feel smaller and more nimble. We'll know soon enough when the reviews come out.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #232
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Many people are thinking the mid engine will make the C8 feel smaller and more nimble. We'll know soon enough when the reviews come out.
Feel smaller maybe but in reality not so much.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing per se, I just prefer small and tight...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #233
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
Feel smaller maybe but in reality not so much.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing per se, I just prefer small and tight...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #234
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

The guy that made this video is rather annoying, and his camera handling is dizzying. That said, it's amazing seeing these two cars side by side how the C8 makes the Supra look like a toy car IMO.

Start watching @ 11m40s

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #235
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

I liked the video! The guy is funny and I didn't get board which is usually what happens to me with long car videos.
That C8 looks killer! I think I'm getting excited about it all over again even though it is an auto. At least it is an 8 speed DCT.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4668.50
Tag18135.50
      08-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #236
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
The guy that made this video is rather annoying, and his camera handling is dizzying.
I cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of Youtubers like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #237
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
not sure why everyone is hating on the build quality of current gen GM cars. My 2 series is far worse than my bosses by camaro in some regards. The design is not great but it is improving and the new vette interior is on another level. My 2 series creaks and rattles non stop. I've stopped investigating at this point because a new one always comes out.

This is my bmw and maybe my last because honestly, I feel they are a bit overrated. I do love my 2 series overall but for the price, there are some serious contenders out there.
GM build quality is pretty bad, maybe even worse than Ford or Chrysler. You can walk around a Camaro and find plenty of variances in panel gaps and the interior is a dark plastic cavern. Making things worse is that pretty well all the controls are not easy to reach and the infotainment system is pointing to the floor. There's a reason despite it being a better performance car than the Mustang and Challenger that it lags behind them in sales and it's because of poor execution. GM is great at nailing down the performance aspects as the ATS-V blows away the Germans in performance metrics but as always the execution is poor as like the Camaro it is saddled with a junk interior and shoddy build quality so nobody buys them. However the trade off is an affordable entry price so when you buy one of these you are making a conscious decision to place performance above all else and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you aren't expecting German, Japanese, or even Korean build quality. For example don't expect the carbon fiber parts to be anywhere near the quality of what you are used to seeing from BMW if the dimestore CF on the ZR1 is any indication.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #238
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

I've read a significant amount about the new Vette, but I can't get over just how little mention is made of the old school LS engine. It doesn't seem to bother anyone that a brand new super -ish car has the 2-valve, cam-in-block LS motor. Why no call for a modern engine in their "world-class" Vette?

I'm admittedly tech-focused, mod-happy and always looking for something better than what I have or a new experience, so I may not be the target market? But now that I'm in my 50s, maybe I am?

Regardless, I'm mildly curious about the whole c8 concept, and I'm always stopped dead by same-old, same-old LS that's been done to death.

I want to like the Vette, built one in black (looks sweet from most angles!), but there's just nothing attractive to me about the powertrain right now. Anyone else feel similarly?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #239
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
I've read a significant amount about the new Vette, but I can't get over just how little mention is made of the old school LS engine. It doesn't seem to bother anyone that a brand new super -ish car has the 2-valve, cam-in-block LS motor. Why no call for a modern engine in their "world-class" Vette?

I'm admittedly tech-focused, mod-happy and always looking for something better than what I have or a new experience, so I may not be the target market? But now that I'm in my 50s, maybe I am?

Regardless, I'm mildly curious about the whole c8 concept, and I'm always stopped dead by same-old, same-old LS that's been done to death.

I want to like the Vette, built one in black (looks sweet from most angles!), but there's just nothing attractive to me about the powertrain right now. Anyone else feel similarly?
lol nope. The LT engine being that old design bothers me not a tiny little bit and in fact I kind of like that its so simple. In the real world, it works just fine, gets decent fuel economy and makes plenty of power. It also doesn't require any special maintenance and likely won't be the source of any reliability troubles for this car, if issues end up developing.

What bothers me is the lack of a manual.

But your post made me realize something: Our cars are really cool! The fact that a person like yourself, who is into all kinds of cool tech and is bothered by inefficiency; and a person like me, who just wants old school thrills, both end up with the same vehicle, is pretty cool.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
BlkSVT388.50
      08-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #240
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post

I dont know about you but a 500 hp NA roaring v8 for 60K is exciting to most people especially compared to the horde of TT 6’s. LS’s are old designs but they’re also light, compact, sound great and are proven performers.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #241
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
I dont know about you but a 500 hp NA roaring v8 for 60K is exciting to most people especially compared to the horde of TT 6’s. LS’s are old designs but they’re also light, compact, sound great and are proven performers.
Not to mention they have loads of torque even by v8 standards. Compact, reliable motor. It’s the most popular engine swap too. Even into a Miata.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #242
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

I'll say this much if I had the opportunity to buy a c8 at MSRP I'd sell m2c and wouldn't think twice. But since that's near impossible atn I'll enjoy my bimmer now and wait for the ZO6 to come out
Appreciate 0