BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMW M Performance Exhaust NOT legal anymore in Germany!

06-29-2018, 01:15 AM   #133
F22_Alpin_Weiss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F-150 Lariat

This is what happens when you let Belgian bureaucrats rule over you. No fun allowed.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 02:35 AM   #134
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 F87

MR, thanks for sharing.

This is very true, I tried ordering it back in April and my CA told me it was blocked temporarily.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 02:38 AM   #135
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Has this thread title changed to just Germany now, did it say Europe before?
      06-29-2018, 03:23 AM   #136
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
I literally asked for a quote a couple of hours ago, hoping for a response tomorrow. I am hoping I can still get it pushed through. Do the new regulations apply to just sellers or installers too? So, even if I purchase one, can I be forced to remove it to comply with new regulations? Surely not...
They apply to you and your car! Yes, you could be forced to remove it if they ask you when you fitted it, but if you say two years ago then good luck with that guy trying to find out when you did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Wait till all the peeps buy the M2C the try and slap aftermarket exhausts on it with that new emission system..... gonna be big issues
Issues? Which issues... Nothing to see here, nothing is happening, please move on... #actinglikeiraqspokesperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
This is stupid...the number of people who mod their cars at all, much less something like the exhaust, is infinitesimal compared to the people who never change anything at all.

This is worthless legislation that only affects a tiny % of the population, but does so in a manner that is disproportionate in effect on that small %.

The Nanny state just can't stop....
Not completely true... It is aimed at stopping to offer aftermarket parts and making sure that manufacturers make less loud exhausts. It is not to stop people tune, of course it is a consequence of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I don't even live in the EU, but this still pisses me off.

Can you imagine if they tried this sh!t here in the states?

#Don'tThinkSoMF'rs
hahaha no instead you have a president that is going to make anything from Europe 20% more expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Eh. This exact same stuff is introduced every couple of years it's nothing new—-dating back to 2005. It doesn't have any real effect. Don't buy the propaganda. They will tweak it and release it again shortly like they always do. They want you to spread this rumour so they can clear out the old inventory...typical carmaker "gossip".

I'm quite sure anyone who wants a PE can buy one. They just wont install it from the factory...
This is a law and not propaganda. And PE's are never installed at the factory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
All they need to do is just start making the M cars louder stock.
Problem solved.
It is all about all cars not getting louder... So also stock cars will not be louder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
BMW, just include the M-Performance Exhaust as the stock option. You're welcome BMW; I know, I'm a genius. Let me know when you want me to take the job as head of the M division, and we can start the development of cost effective, environmentally safe, light weight M cars with hydraulic steering and driver focus.
Not possible, it is about the exhaust... It is about the sound level and the fact it has a switch. They are internally now rethinking the set up and making it compliant, but that means no switch anymore and a sound level exactly the same as stock. Would you buy an upgraded titanium exhaust that has a similar sound level but tone is slightly different? I wouldn't!

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 03:26 AM   #137
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Sorry to say that, but I told ya'll weeks ago and broke the news here. It's a shame that some users gain more credibility in here than others do. I was just laughed at when I posted that - even though it was an official BMW statement.
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2018, 03:30 AM   #138
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Sorry to say that, but I told ya'll weeks ago and broke the news here. It's a shame that some users gain more credibility in here than others do. I was just laughed at when I posted that - even though it was an official BMW statement.
I'm still confused as to what the exact ruling is... is this a German issue or EU-wide? I'm from the UK so hoping it doesn't apply to me and I can get one before it does become an EU-wide issue.
Appreciate 1
EthanEJC199.50
      06-29-2018, 03:36 AM   #139
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thought they got around this with the little red button in the trunk to active the MPE for EU cars. So now the law states you cannot have a loud exhaust at all, even if it has a quite mode?
Nope it states that the sound level is not allowed to be higher than stock and switching it via a button in the cabin is not allowed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12 View Post
Isn't this Germany-only?
Nope Europe wide, but German is the one enforcing it massively right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
Where is this information coming from? I haven't heard anything from my BMW friends in Germany.

Any official sources to back this information up?
Ask them again

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
What about other cars like Porsche that have an exhaust flap button? Those are still legal because they're on "stock" exhaust?
Switchable exhausts are the end. You are not allowed to have a exhaust switch in the cabin anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringtaxi View Post
what happens if you install an exhaust in germany such as akrapovic that does not comply with emissions... what is the exact penalty?
Your car is not legal to drive on the roads. You can easily determine your own penalty if you do

Quote:
I'm still confused as to what the exact ruling is... is this a German issue or EU-wide? I'm from the UK so hoping it doesn't apply to me and I can get one before it does become an EU-wide issue.
German 100%, other countries quite likely. Read around the topic. People from other countries are unable to order the exhaust, so it seems a full block.

I have been told BMW took it Europe wide and killed the sales everywhere, but we can only confirm this by checking our dealers.

In the end, I don't really mind. The quality of that piece of aluminium was crap anyhow. My god the MPE is low quality in comparison to other aftermarket systems.

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 03:37 AM   #140
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
You should have all the credit since you really did drop the bomb! I remember your post...

I never decided to ask more about it, but then I got the news of a sales stop from different directions outside Germany and I had to ask.

MR
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2018, 03:50 AM   #141
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Come to SEAsia, anythig is possible here.. with M4 cost around USD180k there are many of them here with loud exhaust.

No one gives a shit. Land of total freedom, if you are loaded.
      06-29-2018, 03:50 AM   #142
IAF
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

A lot of fake news here

There is no new EU legislation, rather an updated German law, which means they are enforcing this in Germany (hence the MP exhausts are no longer being manufactured).

There has been no effect on other aftermarket exhausts outside of Germany, in the other EU countries.
Appreciate 1
10"4974.50
      06-29-2018, 04:51 AM   #143
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Somehow speaker generated sound may be the way ahead...

It is funny how everyone who hated and laughed at BMW augmenting sound through the speakers to simulate a desired engine noise may now have to embrace it as the way of the future.

Like idrive, eps and turbocharged performance engines... let’s see how load the new AMG motors will be in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:52 AM   #144
Rampa50
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Well guys, on german websites you'll find dozens of news about the new rules.
For all german - speaking bimmer friends:
https://www.motor-talk.de/news/ander...-t6359596.html

All others will have to copy it into google translate
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 05:26 AM   #145
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
What does all this mean for the M2C in its stock form? It also has flaps to control the exhaust sound which can be controlled from the cabin.

?

Last edited by ///M Houbi; 06-29-2018 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 05:33 AM   #146
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Maybe they will discount those overpriced CF Tips now !
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1937.50
      06-29-2018, 05:46 AM   #147
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
What does all this mean for the M2C in its stock form? It also has flaps to control the exhaust sound which can be controlled from the cabin.

?
It doesn't... There is no button that controls the flaps. There is a button that controls the car driving modes, not the exhaust itself.

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #148
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
It doesn't... There is no button that controls the flaps. There is a button that controls the car driving modes, not the exhaust itself.

MR
Yes i am aware of that, thats what i mean.

So its a different story if the exhaust sound is „coupled“ with different driving modes?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 06:04 AM   #149
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Quote:

MR
So exactly like the MPE for the M3/M4 works since a longer time, correct? You push the Engine into „Sport“ and the fun begins...

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 06:25 AM   #150
performance-one
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E81 130i

Quote:

#Don'tThinkSoMF'rs

Sorry to say, but I am happy to live in Germany.
The rules for aftermarket parts were always strict and annoying.
But I'm pretty sure due to these rules the quality of aftermarket parts increased.
And maybe because of this the OEM's had the Idea of bringing their own Performance parts to the market with a high quality standard and the street legal Option.

Don't forget, that we have the Autobahn in Germany.
If you can drive 300+ km/h with what ever you mod your car, it should better be save!

I'm very glad, that we have better/strict regulations here in Europe!

In other Countries, where you can do what you want, the result is...
(Pictures are better than letters)
Attached Images

Last edited by performance-one; 06-29-2018 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 4
///M Houbi1655.00
ghaffari461108.00
Rikx1M560.50
ljb203.50
      06-29-2018, 06:27 AM   #151
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
tbh it shouldn't really as I'm lead to believe that we already have a law like this in place it just isn't enforced and to my knowledge, you can still get an M performance exhaust, My main concern that this doesn't affect companies such as akra.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 06:31 AM   #152
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
Quote:

MR
So exactly like the MPE for the M3/M4 works since a longer time, correct? You push the Engine into "Sport" and the fun begins...
Let's wait and see what happens when we drive the M2C and go through the modes.

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 06:32 AM   #153
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Competition View Post
What are we going to do about this my fellow Europeans?
The first time I've had the desire to crack a hole in my exhaust just to make it unbearably loud!
      06-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #154
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:

#Don'tThinkSoMF'rs
Yeah how sad! I get the whole stricter emissions and all and why they stopped making the f80, but what the heck does a louder exhaust really affect and as someone already mentioned a small % of the population only change it anyway.

It's not like an M perf "muffler" made the car F1 loud and it just annoyed anyone 1st thing, I mean common.