BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Drag Race: M2 - M4 - M5 - M6 [video]

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #45
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2775
Rep
4,415
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I get that the M2 is not a drag car... but that was without a doubt all around the least impressive M product that I have ever driven... so far it has been living on hype and will never match a 1M in my honest opinion...The M2 to me is a 235i with coilovers and an LSD.
Appreciate 3
NickyC5540.50
Rudeboy31.00

      08-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #46
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5541
Rep
5,844
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Now in Miami! :D

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I get that the M2 is not a drag car... but that was without a doubt all around the least impressive M product that I have ever driven... so far it has been living on hype and will never match a 1M in my honest opinion...The M2 to me is a 235i with coilovers and an LSD.
Exactly, grossly overpriced for what you get.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #47
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
10789
Rep
16,664
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Another pointless drag race by CarWow. Comparing the 6MT M2 with DCT cars in acceleration . I generally like their car reviews, but their drag races are so meaningless and not representative.

It's not the first time CarWow do this, they have the transmissions in auto mode for rolling races. So it is more a test of how fast the transmission kicks down than a true test of acceleration capability. With the three DCT cars in manual mode in the right gear, the manual M2 would not stand a chance and the M4 would get trumped by the M5 ans M6.

This is a completely pointless video .
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 1
swagon4505.00

      08-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #48
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2775
Rep
4,415
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Exactly, grossly overpriced for what you get.
I think it's fairly priced if you consider the competition and the fact that an M240i is so close in price... but dear God, no one compare this car to an M3/M4 which are monsters.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #49
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
7830
Rep
11,819
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I get that the M2 is not a drag car... but that was without a doubt all around the least impressive M product that I have ever driven... so far it has been living on hype and will never match a 1M in my honest opinion...The M2 to me is a 235i with coilovers and an LSD.
Exactly, grossly overpriced for what you get.
You both are wrong actually.

The M2 is much better than the M235/'m240. Those are great cars with a great chassis also. The E30 M3 was not much faster than an E30 325is back in the day. The same is true today. The M car is the one to have.

@NickyC. You are really just trolling apparently. The M2 is one of the best automotive bargains in the marketplace right now.

I have two friends with Z4 M.

On both the street and track The 1M is quicker. Period. Not by a lot but it is. The M2 is quicker than the 1M. All three are very entertaining cars.

z4m has the most character.
1M is the wildest.
M2 is the *fastest*
Appreciate 2
CanAutM310788.50
AESZ455.50

      08-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #50
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
57
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
There are many professional reviewers out there that state that the M2 is the best current M car. If you want to be the fastest in a straight line, then you shouldn't own a BMW.
I chose it over a m3/m4 after one back to back test drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #51
ORIGIN M.
Banned
3112
Rep
9,210
Posts

Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern Hemisphere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I get that the M2 is not a drag car... but that was without a doubt all around the least impressive M product that I have ever driven... so far it has been living on hype and will never match a 1M in my honest opinion...The M2 to me is a 235i with coilovers and an LSD.
Exactly, grossly overpriced for what you get.
Everything today is overpriced for what you get.

You either cannot afford it, or you are just being ridiculous referencing price as the real shortcoming.
Appreciate 3
ai38853.00
otay679.50

      08-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #52
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2775
Rep
4,415
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
You both are wrong actually.


First off. I have two friends with Z4 M.

The 1M is quicker. Period. Not by a lot but it is. The M2 is quicker than the 1M. All three are very entertaining cars.

z4m has the most character.
1M is the wildest.
M2 is the best daily driver
Not the most convincing of arguments for an M car...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #53
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
7830
Rep
11,819
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
You both are wrong actually.


First off. I have two friends with Z4 M.

The 1M is quicker. Period. Not by a lot but it is. The M2 is quicker than the 1M. All three are very entertaining cars.

z4m has the most character.
1M is the wildest.
M2 is the best daily driver
Not the most convincing of arguments for an M car...
The M2 doesn't need any " convincing arguments " - it's already on its way to being a legend but I will edit it for you.


PS. I ALSO would never sell my 1M for a stock M2.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #54
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2775
Rep
4,415
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
The M2 doesn't need any " convincing arguments " but I will edit it for you.
I am glad you like the M2... I did not find it impressive at all... and I could have bought one below msrp or one with 5k miles for way less... the M3 in my honest opinion is extremely impressive... again, perhaps you are the target market for a smaller tighter "M Car", I am not.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #55
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
7830
Rep
11,819
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
The M2 doesn't need any " convincing arguments " but I will edit it for you.
I am glad you like the M2... I did not find it impressive at all... and I could have bought one below msrp or one with 5k miles for way less... the M3 in my honest opinion is extremely impressive... again, perhaps you are the target market for a smaller tighter "M Car", I am not.
Exactly ! I came from an E30 so...


And you are exactly the " mini M5/6" buyer that I referred to earlier. The F80 M3 is a full size sedan.
Appreciate 1
ASAP2775.00

      08-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #56
supsup
Private First Class
64
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: CLS63
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I am glad you like the M2... I did not find it impressive at all... and I could have bought one below msrp or one with 5k miles for way less... the M3 in my honest opinion is extremely impressive... again, perhaps you are the target market for a smaller tighter "M Car", I am not.
Haha. Here goes another “I could have bought a new M2 for less than MSRP” unicorn slayer. There are die hard BMW enthusiasts over at the M2 forum from the US who can’t get a penny off. But ol “ASAP” the casual M2 shopper/hater apparently had offers thrown at him - “please take this car”

I guess it’s better than the other person who told me “They are all over the auctions going for $40k!” Until I checked Manheim reports to show him that 3 17s had been sold EVER at pretty close to MSRP.

The F80/F82 on the other hand can be had lightly used at a 25% discount. I’m about to pull the trigger on a 16 ZCP in the mid 50s. I’d pretty much pay the same for a 16 M2 right now.

Not really understanding all the hate for the car. It seems like every auto journalist calls it the best M car currently being made. But every M3/M4/235/240 owner is butt hurt about the praise the car getsand quick to slam it any chance they get. It’s usually either “I Test drove it and wasn’t impressed” or “I could have had one for way below MSRP”. Are there even used ones on the market for less than 50k right now? Hahah

The car is polarizing for sure.

Why can’t eveeyone just be happy with the purchase THEY made?

Last edited by supsup; 08-26-2017 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 6
ORIGIN M.3112.00
DeeKay368.00
AESZ455.50
cehrl7147.50
JTO242443.50

      08-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #57
k2e15
First Lieutenant
k2e15's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: F48 X1
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Another pointless drag race by CarWow. Comparing the 6MT M2 with DCT cars in acceleration . I generally like their car reviews, but their drag races are so meaningless and not representative.

It's not the first time CarWow do this, they have the transmissions in auto mode for rolling races. So it is more a test of how fast the transmission kicks down than a true test of acceleration capability. With the three DCT cars in manual mode in the right gear, the manual M2 would not stand a chance and the M4 would get trumped by the M5 ans M6.

This is a completely pointless video .
^^^ Exactly!
__________________
F48 X1| BSM| M-Sport |
Gone:
E46 M3| Silver Grey |
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #58
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2775
Rep
4,415
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supsup View Post
Haha. Here goes another “I could have bought a new M2 for less than MSRP” unicorn slayer. There are die hard BMW enthusiasts over at the M2 forum from the US who can’t get a penny off. But ol “ASAP” the casual M2 shopper/hater apparently had offers thrown at him - “please take this car”

I guess it’s better than the other person who told me “They are all over the auctions going for $40k!” Until I checked Manheim reports to show him that 3 17s had been sold EVER at pretty close to MSRP.

The F80/F82 on the other hand can be had lightly used at a 25% discount. I’m about to pull the trigger on a 16 ZCP in the mid 50s. I’d pretty much pay the same for a 16 M2 right now.

Not really understanding all the hate for the car. It seems like every auto journalist calls it the best M car currently being made. But every M3/M4/235/240 owner is butt hurt and quick to slam it any chance they get.

The car is polarizing for sure. So much so that people make up “way less than MSRP” stories to try and discredit.

Why can’t eveeyone just be happy with the purchase THEY made?
You've edited your comment now 4 times... you must be really mad about someone's opinion... now why aren't you getting this awesome M2? Ah, let me guess, size?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #59
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Haywood's Avatar
United_States
1970
Rep
2,780
Posts

Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosTonian View Post
If you think the M3/m4 is disappointing then you don't know how to drive. And I had one along with e90 and e46.
Ha! Yeah, ok. I've owned (2) 135's, e36, e46, and e92. The new F8x is not even close to being the best M platform. Read the pro reviews and comparisons. It's not even the best in it's class anymore. The Guilia QV blows it away on the track. I've also test drove one and had a BMW track day when I was considering trading in my e92 for a M4. Just because it's the fastest M3, doesn't mean it's the best. The car has no soul and it's not special. Sorry. I love BMW more than most people, but you're a homer if you can't admit it.
__________________
2003 Le Mans Blue e39 M5 Dinan S1
1997 Alpine White e36 M3 (the old gal)
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #60
supsup
Private First Class
64
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: CLS63
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
You've edited your comment now 4 times... you must be really mad about someone's opinion... now why aren't you getting this awesome M2? Ah, let me guess, size?

Are you tracking my edits? I’m flattered.

Yes. Size. Believe I mentioned that. I need the extra 2 doors.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #61
supsup
Private First Class
64
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: CLS63
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
You've edited your comment now 4 times... you must be really mad about someone's opinion... now why aren't you getting this awesome M2? Ah, let me guess, size?
Want to hook me up with the person who can get you a new M2 for less than MSRP? Or a used one for wayyyyyy less. Might change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #62
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2775
Rep
4,415
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supsup View Post
Are you tracking my edits? I’m flattered.

Yes. Size. Believe I mentioned that. I need the extra 2 doors.
Yes, when someone makes strong statements, it's worthwhile to do so... BTW, I also saw those Manheim auction reports... I saw 3 M2's sold in the 55-57k range, do you know what the problem was? They are now aged 130+ days... so there is that... the used ones that people are selling for over 54, are also sitting... a local one to me with all options and LBB has now been sitting for almost 2 months priced at 54k, take that info how u want.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #63
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2775
Rep
4,415
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supsup View Post
Want to hook me up with the person who can get you a new M2 for less than MSRP? Or a used one for wayyyyyy less. Might change my mind.
This was when the first round came, and I was the first one in line at a smaller South Florida dealer... they said, they could either do MSRP or a few hundred below... unfortunately the option bank on that car was unclear, so I backed out... i was only interested in LBB and DCT. As far as used ones, check the M2 forum... 3 right now for 51k. I've got even better news for you, an LCI is coming... if you are ok with a Pre LCI, even better deals to be had.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #64
supsup
Private First Class
64
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: CLS63
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Yes, when someone makes strong statements, it's worthwhile to do so... BTW, I also saw those Manheim auction reports... I saw 3 M2's sold in the 55-57k range, do you know what the problem was? They are now aged 130+ days... so there is that... the used ones that people are selling for over 54, are also sitting... a local one to me with all options and LBB has now been sitting for almost 2 months priced at 54k, take that info how u want.
A 2017 sold at NY Metro Skyline for $58,500 on August 9, 2017. Another 2017 sold on the same day in Ohio for $59,250. I have real-time access.

Would you like screenshots?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #65
yousefnjr
Lieutenant Colonel
1518
Rep
1,960
Posts

Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘19 i3S
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPAC306 View Post
Strange. My stock m240 Xdrive did 12.3
Standing 1/4 mile

Have the slip for proof posted on this site. #drivermod
Something going on with their measured times, 5.2s 0-60 is way slower than it should be
__________________
H&R Coilovers | AFE Intake + Sound Generator | Stromung Cans | VT Engine Mounts | RE Trans Mounts | RE RSM's | Beisan Vanos Kit | Aero Skirts | VMR V803's | GTB Pedals | F10 M5 Knob | Alcantara Wheel | Black Kidneys | 4.10 Gears | CPI Stepped Headers | ESS Tune | DKF Catless S-Pipe | SS Brake Lines | AS SSK | CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #66
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2775
Rep
4,415
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supsup View Post
A 2017 sold at NY Metro Skyline for $58,500 on August 9, 2017. Another 2017 sold on the same day in Ohio for $59,250. I have real-time access.

Would you like screenshots?
Not really, it wouldn't change anything... the dealer ran a report for me for one I drove locally, showed me the auction listings and posted how their 54k price was fair w 5k miles... showed me how other were more expensive... here is the only problem, this forum has a few cars for 51k and every car he showed me over 53k was sitting on lots for months. Not 100% sure if this is also Manheim or a another auction group.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST