Closed Thread

01-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #155
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Thanks. Please let us know if you ever have the turn signal malfunction again. Because my understanding, and my dealer's understanding, and other's in the thread's understanding, is that replacing the taillight assembly will not rectify the problem.

In my M2, I can go over a month without the issue showing itself, so it may not be immediately apparent it's resolved for you.
will do. its been at least 90 days for me without any issues on either side. I'll check back if it returns.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #156
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Just to add that to this list, about 6 months ago my right rear turn signal failed and I got it replaced under warranty. Recently, my left rear turn signal failed as well. Booked in next Friday to get that replaced too.

Seems to be a very common fault. What frustrates me is that, in warranty, this wastes my time. Out of warranty, this will cost a lot of money (replacing the entire light unit). I just hope BMW honour replacements outside of warranty because it's a clear design fault. On top of that, I hope they are being sustainable with regards to the units and refurbishing/repairing them. If they are chucking all these units on the dumps simply because of a grounding wire issue, that's just wrong. I'm not even a "greeny" but the thought bugs me.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #157
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Just to add that to this list, about 6 months ago my right rear turn signal failed and I got it replaced under warranty. Recently, my left rear turn signal failed as well. Booked in next Friday to get that replaced too.

Seems to be a very common fault. What frustrates me is that, in warranty, this wastes my time. Out of warranty, this will cost a lot of money (replacing the entire light unit). I just hope BMW honour replacements outside of warranty because it's a clear design fault. On top of that, I hope they are being sustainable with regards to the units and refurbishing/repairing them. If they are chucking all these units on the dumps simply because of a grounding wire issue, that's just wrong. I'm not even a "greeny" but the thought bugs me.
Do we know or understand if repairing the ground wire will make the original light unit work? Or is the fault damaging the entire unit.

Good to know if out of warranty....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #158
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Just had this happened on my rear left .
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #159
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Last time I've been to the service, they have replaced one of the lights (I think front one) but not because of that. Because water were entering and the vents didn't work.
Anyhow, as for the turn signal issue, I have to say that I can reproduce it a lot more during this Corona crisis as I'm driving the car once every few day and the first time that I start the turn indicator, it gets this warning and blinks fast. After the first it usually do not reproduce. Hopefully after the crisis I'll visit the service again
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #160
Scrape
Car Guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

You can add me to the list of having the right rear tail light failure. It’s happened 3times in two days.
      05-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #161
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Well crap, I just ordered Euro Spec LCI taillights for my Pre-LCI M. Has anyone done the PreLCI to LCI Tail light swap then experience this issue afterwards?

Hopefully just a wiring issue vs. faulty Taillight :/
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #162
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
Well crap, I just ordered Euro Spec LCI taillights for my Pre-LCI M. Has anyone done the PreLCI to LCI Tail light swap then experience this issue afterwards?

Hopefully just a wiring issue vs. faulty Taillight :/
Mine was a wiring harness problem. Nothing to do with the tail light assembly itself.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #163
Scrape
Car Guy
Canada
Rep

I am going to take mine apart to see if there is water or a connection issue.
      05-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #164
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
Usually a ground wire issue. Mine was fixed under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #165
Scrape
Car Guy
Canada
Rep

I hope that all it is. I tap the tail light and then it works properly afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Usually a ground wire issue. Mine was fixed under warranty.
      05-13-2020, 01:59 AM   #166
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Mine was just water and dirt in/on the connector, cleaned it up dried it and squirted clear silicone grease in there, never a problem since.

It's an odd design, usually tail lights fit over an opening in the bodywork with a seal, and the electrical connector is INSIDE the vehicle - i.e dry.

On the 2 series, the entire light assembly sits outside the vehicle body incuding the eletrical connector and is open to the elements.

To make matters worse, the drain gulley for the trunk lid and rear window means that water and muck runs behind the light fitting and all over the connector. Every time it rains or you wash the car then water is pouring directly over the connector.

The narrow space behind the light gets full of dead leaves, pine needles, muck etc or whatever else gets caught in there and stuck around the connector plug.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52695.50
      05-13-2020, 04:55 AM   #167
Scrape
Car Guy
Canada
Rep

Thanks doughboy. I pray that this is the fix. Not a smart design from the Germans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Mine was just water and dirt in/on the connector, cleaned it up dried it and squirted clear silicone grease in there, never a problem since.

It's an odd design, usually tail lights fit over an opening in the bodywork with a seal, and the electrical connector is INSIDE the vehicle - i.e dry.

On the 2 series, the entire light assembly sits outside the vehicle body incuding the eletrical connector and is open to the elements.

To make matters worse, the drain gulley for the trunk lid and rear window means that water and muck runs behind the light fitting and all over the connector. Every time it rains or you wash the car then water is pouring directly over the connector.

The narrow space behind the light gets full of dead leaves, pine needles, muck etc or whatever else gets caught in there and stuck around the connector plug.
      05-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #168
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Thanks doughboy. I pray that this is the fix. Not a smart design from the Germans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

This is going to be my 3rd time taking it in and not getting results from the dealer.

Hopefully they don't see this thread and I can Lemon it🙂

2021 m2c here I come lol
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:32 AM   #169
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yesterday I went for a very short drive and the right rear turn signal message hadn't stopped from showing and the internal turn signal indicator ticked fast which indicates that there's a problem.
On the one hand this is a good thing because issues that aren't easily reproducible will usually get regected by the service. On the other hand it means that I have to go to the service today because it is illegal to drive without a rear turn signal indicator.

I'll try to see today if it is still constantly reproducible and if it is, I'll go to the service and report back with what have they done
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #170
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drove to the service today. After a few hours of inspection they called me and said that they want to replace both rear lights as part of manufacturer warranty. Tomorrow I'll get back the car but I assume that it'll take a while for me to understand if the issue has been solved permanently.

Cross fingers
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #171
bnz73
will pay to drift
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

So...

has anyone who got their taillights replaced under warranty, run into the problem again with their new and replaced lights?

I had this issue pop up like 3-4x in the first year, and now in the second year it pops up all the time. I live in Oregon where it rains a lot, and it sounds like there's poor protection to the elements and car washes... which seems like an idiotic design to me.

2020 M2C here.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #172
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oops.. for some reason I thought I replied with what they did.
They have replaced both rear tail lights under warranty.

So far so good but I assume it is too early to judge. I'm thinking of replacing the car so I'm not sure how long will I have it but I promise to report back after I'll replace it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #173
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz73 View Post
has anyone who got their taillights replaced under warranty, run into the problem again with their new and replaced lights?

I had this issue pop up like 3-4x in the first year, and now in the second year it pops up all the time. I live in Oregon where it rains a lot, and it sounds like there's poor protection to the elements and car washes... which seems like an idiotic design to me.

2020 M2C here.
For sure its moisture in the connector / pins. I just had the tail lights out again this weekend after 12 months, the connector body and back of the light module was covered in water and window/trunk gutter slime, dead leaves and pine needles.

But no issues since I cleaned and dried them and squeezed clear silicone grease into the connectors body and sockets 12 months ago after the fault first appeared.

Sorted...

BMW will replace the whole light because that is what their computer tells them to do. Thinking doesn't really come into it.

Also they'll update the car as part of the warranty process, so I'd lose my OBD tuning access as mine's not been updated since new in 2018.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #174
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:

2020 M2C here.
On mine, they rerouted the wiring on the taillight which they said was the first thing to do on their service bulletin. It has been a year since with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #175
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:

2020 M2C here.
On mine, they rerouted the wiring on the taillight which they said was the first thing to do on their service bulletin. It has been a year since with no problems.
Did you have that done with Alex at Seattle, Dan? I get this intermittently but haven't messed with it yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #176
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poffman View Post
Did you have that done with Alex at Seattle, Dan? I get this intermittently but haven't messed with it yet.
I used Nathan Morrisette at BMW Seattle. Alex was on vacation. But I was extremely impress with Nathan and will use him for my next service. He really cared about solving the problem.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread