BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > RW Carbon hardware

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
HSM2C
Enlisted Member
HSM2C's Avatar
No_Country
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Riyadh

iTrader: (0)

RW Carbon hardware

I just recently received my order from RW Carbon. It's an M style front lip. (same one as in the pic).
My only issue is that the hardware provided is some very basic self tapping screws without any washers (i.e the screws alone won't hold the splitter to the bumper). The screw heads are so small that they would fall through the pre-drilled holes.

My question is, does anyone recommend a better alternative for the screws? If you've installed the same part or a similar splitter/lip, what hardware did you use besides the 3M tape?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
flybigjet's Avatar
United_States
406
Rep
263
Posts

Drives: a light twin from Boeing.
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241071&rt=rud
Appreciate 1
HSM2C10.50

      01-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
HSM2C
Enlisted Member
HSM2C's Avatar
No_Country
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Riyadh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Thanks, but I already have the same tape which I'll use.

My question was about the screws, what's the best ones to use (size, make,.. etc) based on previous experiences.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Captain
548
Rep
912
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

honestly i would never use self tapping screws on a part like this. use some rivets made for soft plastics or use traditional bolts and nuts with washers.
you could also reference the official BMW instructions which uses a couple different fasteners in total

I would personally use something like this along with 3M tape
Appreciate 1
HSM2C10.50

      01-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
HSM2C
Enlisted Member
HSM2C's Avatar
No_Country
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Riyadh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
honestly i would never use self tapping screws on a part like this. use some rivets made for soft plastics or use traditional bolts and nuts with washers.
you could also reference the official BMW instructions which uses a couple different fasteners in total

I would personally use something like this along with 3M tape
I don't suppose it's easy to remove those rivets when I decide to remove the splitter in the future. And I wouldn't be able to use nuts and bolts without having to remove the bumper cover.

I'm sure a lot of guys on this forum have installed the M Performance front splitter or a similar variant and I'm curious as to what they used/did to secure it in place.

Thanks for the tips though.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Captain
548
Rep
912
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSM2C View Post
I don't suppose it's easy to remove those rivets when I decide to remove the splitter in the future. And I wouldn't be able to use nuts and bolts without having to remove the bumper cover.

I'm sure a lot of guys on this forum have installed the M Performance front splitter or a similar variant and I'm curious as to what they used/did to secure it in place.

Thanks for the tips though.
the official one calls for rivets too. You can easily remove them by drilling out the center of them
Appreciate 1
HSM2C10.50

      01-26-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
Bill in Marin
Private
23
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, 1974 Alfa GTV
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Tiburon, CA

iTrader: (0)

The official install uses plastic push rivets, which are easily removable and can't be expected to hold the lip in place without the 3M tape.
Appreciate 1
HSM2C10.50

      01-27-2020, 03:34 AM   #8
HSM2C
Enlisted Member
HSM2C's Avatar
No_Country
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Riyadh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Marin View Post
The official install uses plastic push rivets, which are easily removable and can't be expected to hold the lip in place without the 3M tape.
So, what's the best way of doing it? 3M VHB tape and use the existing OEM plastic rivets only? Or is there a need to drill into the underside of the bumper to add more self tapping screws?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #9
nioh_lbbm2
Captain
548
Rep
912
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSM2C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Marin View Post
The official install uses plastic push rivets, which are easily removable and can't be expected to hold the lip in place without the 3M tape.
So, what's the best way of doing it? 3M VHB tape and use the existing OEM plastic rivets only? Or is there a need to drill into the underside of the bumper to add more self tapping screws?
https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...LL%20INSTR.pdf
Appreciate 1
HSM2C10.50

      01-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #10
HSM2C
Enlisted Member
HSM2C's Avatar
No_Country
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Riyadh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Thank you for the link.. I had no idea such a thing existed.

Really appreciate it
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #11
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1073
Rep
1,628
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

There was a guy here who lost his front lip when traveling at high speeds, in excess of 110mph. The dealer didn't use betalink adhesive as the instructions call for, air got between the bumper and lip and separated them from each other, causing the lip to shatter to a bunch of pieces.

If you don't want to use betalink, I would suggest 3m adhesive tape. As that should adhere the lip, while sealing the gap from air.
__________________
Click "Appreciate" on my post if I was helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 2
HSM2C10.50

      01-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
HSM2C
Enlisted Member
HSM2C's Avatar
No_Country
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Riyadh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
There was a guy here who lost his front lip when traveling at high speeds, in excess of 110mph. The dealer didn't use betalink adhesive as the instructions call for, air got between the bumper and lip and separated them from each other, causing the lip to shatter to a bunch of pieces.

If you don't want to use betalink, I would suggest 3m adhesive tape. As that should adhere the lip, while sealing the gap from air.
Really appreciate the tips guys.

I'll install it using the steps provided in the link above and add the 3M VHB double sided tape. Hopefully this will hold it in place.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #13
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Spoolin Montego's Avatar
206
Rep
711
Posts

Drives: 16 M3/14 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Please don't use betalink. Use combination of oem screws and self taping ones, long as you have like 15-20 mounting points you will be good

Edit. Also the pre drilled holes probably line up with the oem screws down there. Use those and some extra self tapers evenly spaced under the bumper, just push it straight through the cf
Appreciate 1
HSM2C10.50

      01-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #14
HSM2C
Enlisted Member
HSM2C's Avatar
No_Country
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Riyadh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
Please don't use betalink. Use combination of oem screws and self taping ones, long as you have like 15-20 mounting points you will be good

Edit. Also the pre drilled holes probably line up with the oem screws down there. Use those and some extra self tapers evenly spaced under the bumper, just push it straight through the cf
I'll never use betalink. Besides I already have the 3M tape, so it's better to go that route.

I was actually thinking the same about using the self tapping screws as an extra precaution. I haven't really seen the underside of the car, so I had no idea if any of the holes in CF splitter would utilize the OEM screws/holes, but you're most likely right. The pre-drilled holes don't look to be drilled in random places, it seems like it's following the OEM screw locations.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST