BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > PS4S, poor man's coilovers!

04-18-2021, 03:10 AM   #1
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

PS4S, poor man's coilovers!

I exaggerate but yesterday went out for first real drive since having PS4S on all corners (stock sizes).

Car is just all round better with them on.

Undulations are handled much better, with much less impact crash transmitted to the chassis. So it's much less jarring.

The car is keyed into the tarmac rather than riding on top of it with MPSS.

On accelerating the car puts almost all the power down and you go faster while it still being fun.

Road noise is reduced noticeably, they seem stickier and better at picking up small stones and flinging into wheel arches.

Turn in is keener but not ultimately as sharp as MPSS but nothing unpleasant that you don't get used to then forget after a few corners.

Overall confidence in the car is improved.

Amazing tyres, not my first time using them but first time with the M2.

It feels like a chassis or suspension tweak, I had wanted coilovers and this buys me some time...
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I recently changed my Contis for PS4Ss in 255/35/19 and 275/35/19. I was amazed on how much better the handling feels.

As you said, a great upgrade.
      04-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Placebo effect is atleast 90% of this.
Appreciate 4
DrKevM52273.50
Fabb228.50
MASHCT624.00
      04-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
r1sthebest
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
No it is not. The Ps4s are great! The best allround tires I have been driven with.
Appreciate 1
BMW535iva280.00
      04-18-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for you con-Troll-bution have a great day.

I have a job that means I sift through placebo effects hundreds of times a month. I am human so am not immune to it but you can sure notice when you change the ONLY thing that connects your car to your road.

Next you'll say you can't feel the difference between trainers and crampon boots.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
It's not a placebo effect, it's 100% replacing loud/worn/hard tires with new ones. Side by side, new for new, the difference isn't even perceptible to most people.

Personally, I prefer the PSS to the PS4S when new, as it's just a tad sharper, but as they start to wear a bit the PS4S wins hands down.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Seems to align with what I've heard as well... from Tyre Reviews YouTube channel I think? And I think Chris Harris said something similar. Doubt its all placebo.

But good to know, as I am kind of in the same boat! Wanting a slightly less rough ride... so will def try these before deciding if I should look at coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianComp View Post
But good to know, as I am kind of in the same boat! Wanting a slightly less rough ride... so will def try these before deciding if I should look at coilovers.
Change your tire pressure to 32 front, 31 rear. And I'm serious, it makes quite a bit of difference, and will still wear your tires evenly.

The M Performance suspension made a huge difference in my car though, and I'm using BMW's ride height suggestions (595/600) and just 1 click softer on everything. Huge difference.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #9
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

It may be a bit apples vs oranges since we typically compare used vs new.

The ultimate grip does seem to be better when new and it's especially noticeable in cold/wet weather (late fall, early spring). I really like that. Great tire for those conditions. (but I had no real complaints about the MPSS traction when new, either. at least, when warm).

What I don't like about PS4S is that the steering is not as sharp, in fact sometimes feels quite vague in comparison when driving aggressively, e.g., quick changes of direction, there is more lag with inputs, I often feel like I have to turn a bit more and adjust to get the line I want, and it's a bit floaty at high speed (100 mph and above).

So I am actually considering trying something different with comparable traction. Conti ContactSport 6 perhaps, or Pirelli P Zero, or Vredestein Ultra Vorti. Have to read more about those to make up my mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Change your tire pressure to 32 front, 31 rear. And I'm serious, it makes quite a bit of difference, and will still wear your tires evenly.

The M Performance suspension made a huge difference in my car though, and I'm using BMW's ride height suggestions (595/600) and just 1 click softer on everything. Huge difference.
Good idea... haven't checked my tire pressure since I put on my summers...

Is that much lower than stock? I don't want to lower the car much at all if possible, since I have to drive it in winter conditions as well. Those M performance kits can be set to only lower a very minimal amount, correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Good idea... haven't checked my tire pressure since I put on my summers...

Is that much lower than stock? I don't want to lower the car much at all if possible, since I have to drive it in winter conditions as well. Those M performance kits can be set to only lower a very minimal amount, correct?
I think most guys run 35/36, but for the weight of the car, 30/31 should be just fine. If the pressure is too low it'll wear the outside edges, too high and it'll wear the middle. 30/31 should be absolutely fine, you just don't want to get down to 25/26 for an extended period, which means you have to watch your tire pressure a bit more.

The M Performance coils can definitely go a lot softer than I have them, but honestly, there isn't any need. They feel fantastic. There is more bounce, but much less crash. The additional bounce is caused by the increased spring rate, and the less crashy feeling is because of the vastly superior damping.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #12
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Quote:

What does lowering the tire pressure do to the cars handling? Does this apply to 18" tires too?
      04-18-2021, 08:38 PM   #13
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
What does lowering the tire pressure do to the cars handling? Does this apply to 18" tires too?
The car will handle best at the limit when it's on its toes, meaning the pressure is higher, regardless of the size wheel or make/model of tire. But on a daily commute there is no reason at all not to run 30/31.

Tire pressure is a very big deal, and the more research you do on it, the more you're able to tweak how your car behaves in all situations.
Appreciate 1
SebsM2652.00
      04-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #14
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think most guys run 35/36, but for the weight of the car, 30/31 should be just fine. If the pressure is too low it'll wear the outside edges, too high and it'll wear the middle. 30/31 should be absolutely fine, you just don't want to get down to 25/26 for an extended period, which means you have to watch your tire pressure a bit more.

The M Performance coils can definitely go a lot softer than I have them, but honestly, there isn't any need. They feel fantastic. There is more bounce, but much less crash. The additional bounce is caused by the increased spring rate, and the less crashy feeling is because of the vastly superior damping.
Sorry should have clarified, when I said is that lower than stock I was referring to the ride height of the M performance coilovers...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Sorry should have clarified, when I said is that lower than stock I was referring to the ride height of the M performance coilovers...
Yeah, 595/600 (or as close as I could get it).
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 01:34 AM   #16
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Thanks for you con-Troll-bution have a great day.

I have a job that means I sift through placebo effects hundreds of times a month. I am human so am not immune to it but you can sure notice when you change the ONLY thing that connects your car to your road.

Next you'll say you can't feel the difference between trainers and crampon boots.
Most illogical word diarrhea I've ever seen. Comparing the feeling of changing tires to changing shoes? I've been around competitive road racing on both motorcycles and cars for the better part of 15 years. Average joes like you can't tell the difference in tire grip, sidewall flexibility, pressure on a racetrack let alone on the streets doing your 2nd gear pulls. When doing back-to-back comparison tests using a control group I guarantee you will not be able to tell the difference with consistent accuracy between PS4S and PSS. I've seen shit like this time and time again. "I changed my intake bro, I can def feel the car pull faster in low rpm". Meanwhile car makes less power everywhere. Enjoy the placebo, atleast you can be a subject of your own expertise.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #17
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Most illogical word diarrhea I've ever seen. Comparing the feeling of changing tires to changing shoes? I've been around competitive road racing on both motorcycles and cars for the better part of 15 years. Average joes like you can't tell the difference in tire grip, sidewall flexibility, pressure on a racetrack let alone on the streets doing your 2nd gear pulls. When doing back-to-back comparison tests using a control group I guarantee you will not be able to tell the difference with consistent accuracy between PS4S and PSS. I've seen shit like this time and time again. "I changed my intake bro, I can def feel the car pull faster in low rpm". Meanwhile car makes less power everywhere. Enjoy the placebo, atleast you can be a subject of your own expertise.

Diarrhoea RIP

Yes I really do talk to people thousands of times a year about psychology, medicine, placebo and nocebo effect.

Yes average Joes who come on a car forum to talk about mods don't notice any difference because they're not racing car drivers.

Enjoy your great attitude I'm sure it's serving you well buddy.

You are right, about me, about tyres, about everything. 100% of the time. I have learnt a lesson and bow to your superiority. You are better than me. I wield no influence and lead an unassuming life. You have won. Thank you.
Appreciate 0