BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Do you know this car?

08-03-2023, 10:14 AM   #1
papolosa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Do you know this car?

Hi folks, I test drove an OG M2 and now I got to have one. Already sold my 996 to fund the M2. Must be DCT and prefer gray and slicktop.

I found this one with 513m wheels that I really like, always liked these better on the M3s for some reason. Low mileage, Carfax looks good, pictures look good (although not high resolution).

https://www.alphamotorsport.net/used...2408/vd/430184

The wheels and tape on top of the weights points to this car probably being tracked. Typically, not a big issue for me if it was a couple of tracks days, and not endless laps trying to break a personal record like I do on my miata .

It would be awesome if a member of this forum was the previous owner or knows the previous owner to get some additional insights into general use (any track? If yes, how much track) and if there is any paint work doneduring their ownership.

Appreciate anything that can be shared on this car, general M2 purchasing advice, and leads.

Look forward to being a more active participant of this community as soon as I find my M2.

Last edited by papolosa; 08-03-2023 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 09:42 AM   #2
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I was in a similar spot to you when I was in the lead-up time to purchasing my pre-owned M2 back in early 2022. I reached out here on the forum, but no one recognized the car.

I did get some helpful advice, though: from a CarFax (or similar) report, you should be able to find out what BMW dealer serviced it during the warranty period.

I was able to find out the original servicing dealer of my M2 and I called up the service manager. He reached out to the original owner on my behalf — the service manager was understandably reluctant to give me the contact info of the first owner — to find out more details about the first ownership.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 06:28 PM   #3
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

I'm in a similar spot as well. Just picked up an OG M2 from Carvana that on arrival it was clear that it's been tracked, so now I have to decide if I want to keep it or return it within the 7 day guarantee period.

For me the giveaways were the discoloration of the front brake calipers - one is almost black and the other is green. The back two are still blue. Also a bunch of chips on the front bumper. Still, it's low miles and drives great so I'll get an inspection and consider touching up or repainting the front bumper.

Looking at the photos of the one you're looking at I'm not seeing any of that stuff (and the photos are a lot better than what I had to work with). So at least there's that.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 12:12 AM   #4
papolosa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the responses, upon doing some reading and hearing your experiences, I will have to be patient and only consider M2s I can personally inspect and test drive.

Thanks again, the hunt continues.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 12:25 AM   #5
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I wouldn’t stress about it being tracked especially if it’s stock. The car is designed to be tracked with a much improved oil system over the M235 and 240i

I would ask if it has been tuned, that’s a sure sign it’s been beat on even though they can take it
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 07:43 PM   #6
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I wouldn’t stress about it being tracked especially if it’s stock. The car is designed to be tracked with a much improved oil system over the M235 and 240i

I would ask if it has been tuned, that’s a sure sign it’s been beat on even though they can take it
I agree with this! Other than cosmetic issues that accompany track activities… who cares if the car has been tracked. I’ve done more preventive maintenance on my M2 than someone who daily drives their car. People that track their cars are often very passionate and in tune with what’s going on with their car.

Other than cosmetic issues, I’d say don’t let that persuade you. Other may feel differently, this is just my opinion as well.
Appreciate 2
donkey464.00
ericvt15.50
      08-05-2023, 09:41 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
There is a Blue 2016 DCT M2 at BMW Seattle.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...1H9C50GV786185
      08-06-2023, 02:58 PM   #8
papolosa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks DanG, I went to see it and test drove it last weekend. Interior is in very good condition. Body panels and paint are great but both bumper covers have scratches. The front bumper has clear coat peeling at the top where it meets the hood. Finally, the wheels are Enkei TY-5, not my favorite and although no curb rash, they have significant pitting/chips in the paint. The tires are Generals and one of them is missing a chunk on the sidewall.

All in all, between front bumper fix/respray and wheels/tires change, I am looking at an additional 3-4k.

I made an offer and did not get a counter offer. For anyone not bothered by the things I mentioned, the car felt mechanically solid.
Appreciate 0