M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 2NH BBK vs. Alcon BBK

08-30-2023, 02:06 PM   #23
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
For USA based folks reading along, fcp supports WRL race teams doing this so they’re fully aware of what users of the program are up to and aren’t going to cut you off unless you’re doing something insane.
Yeah, and they also directly sponsor some of the WRL & AER races on top of the lifetime returns.

The model is working well enough that Turner now offers lifetime returns. I’ve done plenty of FCP Euro returns, but haven’t tried Turner yet.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      08-30-2023, 02:13 PM   #24
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I did want to bring up another option that I’m curious for someone to try. I have a front AP 9660 setup that I’ve run 378x36mm with for some years and recently found well priced replacement discs from Paragon and they also have their own BBK’s.

I have one open track day on Paragon’s rear 380x34mm AP 9449 style rear BBK and it seems to be doing great. IDK anyone that’s tried their front BBK on an M2, but upfront BBK and disc replacement costs are compelling: https://paragonbrakes.com/track-perf...f82-f83-front/

Some of the vendors here know Paragon and I can connect anyone to their tech team if you’d like to get into the minutia with them. You can spec any of their kits with AKB springs, whatever disc faces you want, and they’ll fab custom brackets and hats to any spec, if needed. Very helpful guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #25
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I did want to bring up another option that I’m curious for someone to try. I have a front AP 9660 setup that I’ve run 378x36mm with for some years and recently found well priced replacement discs from Paragon and they also have their own BBK’s.

I have one open track day on Paragon’s rear 380x34mm AP 9449 style rear BBK and it seems to be doing great. IDK anyone that’s tried their front BBK on an M2, but upfront BBK and disc replacement costs are compelling: https://paragonbrakes.com/track-perf...f82-f83-front/

Some of the vendors here know Paragon and I can connect anyone to their tech team if you’d like to get into the minutia with them. You can spec any of their kits with AKB springs, whatever disc faces you want, and they’ll fab custom brackets and hats to any spec, if needed. Very helpful guys!
They do make a custom kit for the 2NH cars with 374mm rotors. They seem to know what they are doing and make a number of calipers for other manufacturers. I'm curious about their front bbk as well.

They are also very familiar with Alcon. I have to believe that they've tested the market and created their own idea of what a good caliper should be. I'd love to hear other's thoughts about this.
      08-31-2023, 02:31 AM   #26
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
What pads are they using them with? No reports of premature wear from our customers running Fedrodo DS1.11 or DS3.12 pads. Can't comment on other pads and compounds.

You don't get true two-piece rotors because they last twice as long. You get them because of the less likely chance of distorting from the full floating design. You get them because of the improved vane design for better cooling. Some people get them because they look cool!
I meant that the Girodiscs aren't lasting twice as long as the stock rotors, not that they don't last long. Using Endless ME22 oder RSL29. They work great, I personally just can't justify paying that much for it. I get your points, but the 2NH rotors don't have issues with warping and extra cooling is something any track car should have taken care of, becoming a non issue.

One friend of mine did mention more pad knock back though, I think the discs are thinner?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 11:36 AM   #27
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcher View Post
I meant that the Girodiscs aren't lasting twice as long as the stock rotors, not that they don't last long. Using Endless ME22 oder RSL29. They work great, I personally just can't justify paying that much for it. I get your points, but the 2NH rotors don't have issues with warping and extra cooling is something any track car should have taken care of, becoming a non issue.

One friend of mine did mention more pad knock back though, I think the discs are thinner?
The rotor wear rate is not an issue. Our customers expect 1 to 2x pad replacement with a new set of rotors. Those who track more typically go with the AP setup right away. Not sure if pad choice has anything to do with it, but give the DS1.11 a try. RS29 wears too quickly and has not been a go-to pad on the F8x platform for some time now.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 11:43 AM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The rotor wear rate is not an issue. Our customers expect 1 to 2x pad replacement with a new set of rotors. Those who track more typically go with the AP setup right away. Not sure if pad choice has anything to do with it, but give the DS1.11 a try. RS29 wears too quickly and has not been a go-to pad on the F8x platform for some time now.
I think if you track a lot it makes a lot of sense to upgrade the calipers both financially and for time (could also be financial). The AP pads are thicker and cost about the same. Not pulling the caliper to swap pads is a huge time savings. Not to mention the BMW caliper bolts are considered a 1 time use bolt. (Let's not side track on the bolt replacement topic)

My time is valuable. The rear pads take me about 10min per side. The fronts take me about 30min per side. After the wheels are off.
      08-31-2023, 11:48 AM   #29
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I think if you track a lot it makes a lot of sense to upgrade the calipers both financially and for time (could also be financial). The AP pads are thicker and cost about the same. Not pulling the caliper to swap pads is a huge time savings. Not to mention the BMW caliper bolts are considered a 1 time use bolt. (Let's not side track on the bolt replacement topic)

My time is valuable. The rear pads take me about 10min per side. The fronts take me about 30min per side. After the wheels are off.
We prep cars for customers for track days all the time and we can definitely relate the cost of swapping pads for a track day, and then swapping them again for the street. Some don't have the tools or just choose not to perform this type of work on their own.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 11:56 AM   #30
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We prep cars for customers for track days all the time and we can definitely relate the cost of swapping pads for a track day, and then swapping them again for the street. Some don't have the tools or just choose not to perform this type of work on their own.
I was quoted $600 to do the swap/swap back at the shop that does the work for me when I can't. Adds up quick at that rate. I immediately purchased quick jacks and did it myself I don't think the shops really like to do it.
      08-31-2023, 12:01 PM   #31
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was quoted $600 to do the swap/swap back at the shop that does the work for me when I can't. Adds up quick at that rate. I immediately purchased quick jacks and did it myself I don't think the shops really like to do it.
That is actually not a bad price.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 06:10 AM   #32
K-Bag
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 OG M2

I have this guy in the post, I'll let you know how it goes. TA6 caliper.

https://www.prospeedracing.com.au/Al...-ALCON-BBK-016
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 07:42 PM   #33
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
really? Its so easy, specially with a lift probably take 30 minutes per side so make $600 for a couple hours max.

To me it be really annoying to have to go to the shop after every track day. I just leave the track pads on the car. Sure they can be loud but whatever. Get free rotor replacements from fcp euro. That said I don't drive the car all that much.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 10:45 AM   #34
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
really? Its so easy, specially with a lift probably take 30 minutes per side so make $600 for a couple hours max.

To me it be really annoying to have to go to the shop after every track day. I just leave the track pads on the car. Sure they can be loud but whatever. Get free rotor replacements from fcp euro. That said I don't drive the car all that much.
I do it myself. I think the most annoying part is how heavy the caliper is. I need to find a good method for suspending the caliper. If I get that figured out then the front pad swap will be much less aggravating
      09-19-2023, 02:56 PM   #35
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I do it myself. I think the most annoying part is how heavy the caliper is. I need to find a good method for suspending the caliper. If I get that figured out then the front pad swap will be much less aggravating
Farkle used a bungee cord. An upside-down bucket might work too.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2023, 07:20 PM   #36
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cheap and works great and better than a bungie
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
      09-19-2023, 09:58 PM   #37
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Bucket for the win tonight, but I'm going to look at those hooks
      09-20-2023, 12:49 AM   #38
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

I just use an upside-down box haha. I found one that was the perfect height and have used it for a couple of years now (it’s a strong box, albeit cardboard!)
Appreciate 0