BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW: A driving Obsession - CNBC Documentary on BMW

07-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #177
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones0812 View Post
not sure if I did it correctly...but give it a try.

It is with commercials and HD converted to m4v.

Hope it works

http://www.kat.ph/bmw-a-driving-obse...-t5655157.html
      07-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #178
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
Fantastic show! Makes me proud to be a BMW customer. It is time for the copycat automakers ( Lexus, Audi) to open their doors to show us what it takes to create their products.
I don't know if they ever will.

Now that the competition has seen the unbelievabely high tech BMW chime design department they all know there is no way they can possibly compete.

Here is a spy picture of the chime design department at Audi.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #179
silkshocker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

BMW still got a way to go in reliability department. Sooner or later, Lexus, infiniti, or Acura will surpass its market.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #180
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshocker View Post
BMW still got a way to go in reliability department. Sooner or later, Lexus, infiniti, or Acura will surpass its market.
Lexus already has surpassed BMW's market in the US and for several years (including 2009 and 2010) has been the best selling premium brand in the US.
In 2010 it was very close ( Lexus @ 229,329 units vs. #2 BMW @ 220,113) so it is very possible that BMW may outsell Lexus in the US in 2011.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #181
liang
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshocker View Post
Acura and Infiniti sales are really low and their sales are stagnant.

The real threat to surpassing BMW's total market share is Audi.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #182
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

I just watched it and I definitely thought that they could have included more from the performance aspect of BMW not chimes and Rolls Royce Motor Cars. I would have loved to hear about the engine design team and the labs and plants were engines are assembled as well as a tour of the M plant in Regensburg. Perhaps the latter are more competition sensitive to BMW and they did not want to divulge any info...
      07-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #183
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
Did you actually watch the show?

There is no RR v. BMW anymore. BMW owns RR and dictates everything RR does however RR is left to implement things on their own except the engine AND the chassis.

Those are pretty much the main things of the car outside its exterior which are also approved and dictated by bmw at large.

The rolls ghost is the EXACT chassis and engine as the 760i only it costs 3 times more. The interior and shell is different but is that worth 200k? Probably not. Luckily 99 percent of people are oblivious to this fact and only think of RR is some uber luxury brand and that is why people buy it, not because its "worth" the money paid but rather its exclusive.

Kind of like any recent bmw gts. Is it worth 100k for this car in terms of performance, probably not but people like exclusivity
I did watch the show and I know that the Rolls Royce power plant is based of the 7-Series. What I wasn't sure of was if BMW actually had a say in the design of the car itself aside from the engine and chassis. The post I quoted said BMW "uglied" which is why I posted what I did. The guy in the documentary did say they had the freedom to design the Rolls so it wasn't sure if BMW had a big say into the design. Just because BMW Group owns Rolls Royce, it wouldn't be crazy to think that Rolls Royce designs the Phantom or Ghost on their own.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #184
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liang View Post

The Japanese brands were very hurt by the tsunami. Lexus will very likely not be the best selling luxury brand in the US in 2011 for the first time in 11 years,

CA

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #185
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Kind of disappointed with the show. Could of gone without all the interviews with those pretentious designers and weird "chime guys". What's up with the 15-20 minutes about RR? I wanted more cars, more engine talk. Guy hosting the show was pretty obnoxious too and he actually pronounced "bimmer" the way it's spelled and not the correct way. FAAIILLLL
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #186
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Are you kidding me furby. I was waiting to see how they explain the "driving dynamics" and the few main points of them, nothing. They are trying to establish status alright.
BMW knows their primary audience..and the ones that want to see this stuff (you all) are not the target... They want to sell new cars, and don't care about the modders/fast&furious crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Great show. BTW, they ended it up with saying that BMW conveys status. It was the last line before the reporter said thanks for watching.

I so want the i8 when it comes out :0
BMW - Mission Accomplished
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #187
Bender
To Start Press Any Key, Where's the Anykey?
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 XDrive MSport

for those who wants to see a more in depth look at the manufacturing of bmws, i suggest maybe checking out the natgeo ultimate factories series

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co.../3326/Overview
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #188
TheStigsTwin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liang View Post

Audi has equal, if not worse, reliablity problems. On that basis alone, Audi will not surpass BMW, unless they change their approach.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #189
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I thought it was a great show!! Drove my ride today with even greater appreciation, if that is even possible because I smile everytime I drive my car.

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #190
GE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

How can some of you have $40k+ cars, but no cable TV?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #191
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

The euro delivery report was cool, the rest of the show was like a infomercial, wasted a hour watching it
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #192
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Anybody knows if there is a torrent or other way to view this?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #193
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

Quote:
I just watched it and I definitely thought that they could have included more from the performance aspect of BMW not chimes and Rolls Royce Motor Cars. I would have loved to hear about the engine design team and the labs and plants were engines are assembled as well as a tour of the M plant in Regensburg.
+1. I thought it was kind of a fluff piece on BMW - who wants to know about their chimes? What about the development of engines, suspension, bodyshell torsional rigidity, etc.? Wait a minute - most of our fellow Americans don't have a clue about that stuff, so send in a guy who doesn't know sh*t about cars to do a show for like-minded individuals. It was a wasted opportunity to show what makes them really stand out vs. their competition: Performance.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #194
sjones0812
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
Anybody knows if there is a torrent or other way to view this?
look up.... torrent link in tread.
      07-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #195
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones0812 View Post
look up.... torrent link in tread.
got it

http://www.kat.ph/bmw-a-driving-obse...-t5655157.html
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #196
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
BMW knows their primary audience..and the ones that want to see this stuff (you all) are not the target... They want to sell new cars, and don't care about the modders/fast&furious crowd.

BMW - Mission Accomplished
When a brand has deteriorated to the point where its main appeal is to the "all image no content" crowd that is a sure sign of the beginning of the end.

CA

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #197
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74 View Post
BMW obsesses over it's cars like we do on this board. Match made in heaven
on point!

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #198
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE View Post
How can some of you have $40k+ cars, but no cable TV?
funny, lol. some people don't care to own a tv though.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0