BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW: A driving Obsession - CNBC Documentary on BMW

07-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #221
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWe90 View Post
I for one was a bit underimpressed by this documentary. I did appreciate the exposure it gave to the obsessive nature of German engineering, but I definitely would have liked to hear more about the performance/driving dynamic side of things, as opposed to the friggin interior chimes or the layers of paint on the pedals.
I couldn't agree more. They managed go turn a potentially exciting report into something really boring. It's like a non-musician was trying to explain the appeal of music to non-musician/tone-deaf people who don't get the appeal of music.

I don't agree that the reporter drives an Audi as someone else posted. Sounds more like he drives an "appliance" type of car (i.e., Toyota) or doesn't have one at all.

Family History: Two E21 320i, One E28 535is, One E34 535i, One E34 540i
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #222
jaadoogar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi M-Sport, 6MT

Just watched the rerun. First of all, I loved this show. It makes me proud to be receiving my 335xi soon (did European Delivery, now clearing customs in NY/NJ).

Second, say what you want about the chimes guy, but it's great that BMW leaves no stone unturned in engineering their cars. Shows their commitment to detail.

Last, my wife and I were both laughing when the GMC commercial came on. Is there anything in this documentary about slick, hitech, German-engineered luxury performance vehicles that inspires anyone to go out and buy a big ugly truck?
2011 BMW E90 335xi | Black Sapphire | Black Dakota | M-Sport | 6MT | European Delivery 5.24.11 E9x Picture Game: 29 points (Grandfather Clock, Natural Disaster, Anti Environment, Minivan Taxi, NFL Stadium Opening Day, Six Banana M, Campaign Sign, Steam Locomotive... EV Charging Station, Extreme Car Sizes, Birthday, Bridal Shop, Boardwalk, Car Insurance, Adjacent Handicap, Gloves, Fast Expensive)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #223
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadoogar View Post
Just watched the rerun. First of all, I loved this show. It makes me proud to be receiving my 335xi soon (did European Delivery, now clearing customs in NY/NJ).

Second, say what you want about the chimes guy, but it's great that BMW leaves no stone unturned in engineering their cars. Shows their commitment to detail.

Last, my wife and I were both laughing when the GMC commercial came on. Is there anything in this documentary about slick, hitech, German-engineered luxury performance vehicles that inspires anyone to go out and buy a big ugly truck?
The annoying thing about the chime guy is what a load of crap it was.
I personally found it offensive as there are so many details on the car that obviously weren't paid very close attention to.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #224
mjollnir19
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i DINAN 3

Garage List
watched it 4 times this weekend lol
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #225
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The annoying thing about the chime guy is what a load of crap it was.
I personally found it offensive as there are so many details on the car that obviously weren't paid very close attention to.

CA
Negative much?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #226
ede92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roburado View Post
I don't agree that the reporter drives an Audi as someone else posted. Sounds more like he drives an "appliance" type of car (i.e., Toyota) or doesn't have one at all.
The show's host just didn't feel like a "car guy". This matters more than his brand allegiance.
      07-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #227
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

The theme of the show was clearly "obsession," which in of itself has a negative connotation. If you're obsessed about something it's too much, if you're passionate about something it's praiseworthy. The show highlighted the obsessive tendencies of the brand to the near exclusion of the core mission: Driving dynamics (actually, it's making money for the stockholders, but their mission is to do that by selling cars that drive really well for a profit). They hardly talked about how the cars drive and perform, hardly mentioned the M division if at all, while spending several minutes with the chime guy (and how weird was the dynamic with his boss sitting there chiming in (no pun intended) every now and then?).

I thought it was not informative and boring. At the same time, it seemed forced, as if it was a paid ad. But how could BMW support all the negativity being secreted by the smarmy host?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #228
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
it's great that BMW leaves no stone unturned in engineering their cars
I wish that it was true.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to spend enough time in certain areas. Reliability for example. We still hear about windows regulator failures. If they were obsessed with reliability-by-design like Honda, this problem would be resolved by now. And before you ask, I don't think that is incompatible with driving dynamic.

They also have a tendency to create problems, answering questions nobody asked. Run-flat tires WITH NO SPARE TIRE ROOM (that is the point IMO) is incredible. In order to save maybe 2HP, they have an electric water pump that costs 1500$ to fix instead of 500$.

No surprise that nobody really followed them in this kind of craziness in 7 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #229
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
I wish that it was true.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to spend enough time in certain areas. Reliability for example. We still hear about windows regulator failures. If they were obsessed with reliability-by-design like Honda, this problem would be resolved by now. And before you ask, I don't think that is incompatible with driving dynamic.

They also have a tendency to create problems, answering questions nobody asked. Run-flat tires WITH NO SPARE TIRE ROOM (that is the point IMO) is incredible. In order to save maybe 2HP, they have an electric water pump that costs 1500$ to fix instead of 500$.

No surprise that nobody really followed them in this kind of craziness in 7 years.
My point exactly,

They are showing the idiot chime guy as an example of their OCD approach to engineering and those of us who own the cars are well aware of, and very frustrated by,many unturned stones including (but not limited to) the RFT issue, the "Pothole Explosions" issue, the HPFP issue, etc,

I think that BMWs are very well engineered cars but that "documentary" was a load of crap.

Having owned a wide variety of cars over the years I would have to say that my Lexus SC300 and my wife's 2010 Jaguar XKR showed more attention to detail than my 335i. All are excellent cars in their own way but when it comes to attention to detail BMW has a lot of room for improvement.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-18-2011 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #230
jpirelli
Power is nothing without control
Rep
Drives: E90 + E92

I thought it was OK considering it was less than 1 hour.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #231
AWe90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 --> F10

Quote:
This was a big dissapointment because a BMW documentary, done well, would be very interesting. BMW is a great brand and has a great and interesting history. The CNBC show did not come remotely close to doing justice to the subject.

CA
^^ THIS.
      07-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #232
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
My point exactly,

They are showing the idiot chime guy as an example of their OCD approach to engineering and those of us who own the cars are well aware of, and very frustrated by,many unturned stones including (but not limited to) the RFT issue, the "Pothole Explosions" issue, the HPFP issue, etc,

I think that BMWs are very well engineered cars but that "documentary" was a load of crap.

Having owned a wide variety of cars over the years I would have to say that my Lexus SC300 and my wife's 2010 Jaguar XKR showed more attention to detail than my 335i. All are excellent cars in their own way but when it comes to attention to detail BMW has a lot of room for improvement.

CA
+++++
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #233
LimeMike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3M40i E82 135 MSport

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
anyone get a copy of this full program OR know where I can view it in its entirety online?! PM me!!!
      07-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #234
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Here you go, a direct download link.
1.02GB, m4v video.
http://www.fileserve.com/file/qFjcQtF
This is much quicker than torrent it...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #235
BMCoupe_782
Bavarian Fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 328xi TiAg

it was boring and lacked the luster which we all expected. Didn't really delve into the nuances of the brand and barely touched on driving dynamics etc. The chime bit was stupid and unecessary.
| ESS n52 Tune | BMW Performance Intake/Exhaust | LUX H8 v3 AE | GP Thunder 8500K fogs/corners | LED: signals/interior | V1 hardwired | debadge | AC pedals | Performance shift knob/boot | CF e-brake | Aero lip | m3 side skirts/spoiler | MB kidneys | Strut brace | Painted reflectors | Painted Calipers/Hubs | 35% 3M tint | Smoked tails | CF Roundels | 19" Miro 942 | Conti DWS | H&R Springs for xi | Bilstein Shocks| Nxt: Alpine Subs/Amps
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #236
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Wow, you guys are harsh. For one thing, they did point out that even with their obsession with detail they make mistakes.

As for the chime, I like it. I've also had 3 passengers comment on how much they liked it, which is odd since normally people don't comment on that type of thing. They said it was soothing.
      07-25-2011, 03:13 AM   #237
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

BMW A driving Obsession 1-3 - on Dailymotion

BMW A driving Obsession 2-3 - on Dailymotion

waiting for part 3...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #238
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

BMW: A driving Obsession - CNBC Documentary to air July 13th @ 9PM ET

Here's my upload of the CNBC's vids on BMW.
1 hour of infomercial.
http://www.fileserve.com/file/qFjcQtF

There's other thread on the e90 post

Great vids to watch!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #239
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks for sharing.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #240
powerbarsk8ter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 xi

Obession with details? Why is it that the seatbelt on the rear seat flaps in the wind with the windows down, and why the plastic piece covering the ceiling light keeps falling off? That is not obseesion, that is ommission.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #241
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I don't know why they spent 10 minutes on the god damn gong.

There are so many more interesting things about BMW than the engineers that spend so much time in their lives getting the "gong" right.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #242
fatass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
I don't know why they spent 10 minutes on the god damn gong.

There are so many more interesting things about BMW than the engineers that spend so much time in their lives getting the "gong" right.
my quick guess is they really don't want to give away company secrets so they sent some engineer who they know can't spill anything about the cars
Appreciate 0