BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Oil Cooler and coolant choice?

03-11-2024, 01:31 PM   #1
FishHunters
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 N55

Oil Cooler and coolant choice?

Hello everybody,

after looking at several threads regarding cooling, it's difficult to know which upgrade to go for, I have a BMW M2 N55 from 2016 MT, totally original engine, no tune.
I do road and track, I'm looking to increase reliability and therefore lower the coolant and oil temperatures.
I am already equipped with the Moselmann oil thermostat, I am satisfied with it.

I was looking at DO88 to improve this, I see they sell a larger engine oil cooler as well as a larger coolant cooler (the small one to the left of the bumper), someone has any feedback on this brand? Above all, efficiency and reliability.
If you know of the best brands, don't hesitate.

Sorry for my English, I wrote this text partly with Google translate.

Thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 02:44 PM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Any of us that had been running CSF before the do88 cooling products came out, have since switched to do88 bc their quality and performance is better.
Appreciate 1
F87source7233.50
      03-11-2024, 02:45 PM   #3
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

How high are your current oil and coolant temperatures?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 02:10 PM   #4
FishHunters
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
How high are your current oil and coolant temperatures?
I don't know exactly, but I didn't have a really hot day, maximum 115°C of oil and for example 100°C of coolant. Maybe it's not even necessary for a completely stock engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 02:23 PM   #5
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunters View Post
I don't know exactly, but I didn't have a really hot day, maximum 115°C of oil and for example 100°C of coolant. Maybe it's not even necessary for a completely stock engine.
It’s not necessary unless you’re tracking a lot in temps above 80F.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 05:47 PM   #6
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Make data informed purchasing decisions. Figure out what temps you’re actually seeing, under what conditions, and then make a decision to upgrade from there.

If you use CarPlay, the OnTrack OBD app is a nice free way of getting that on your iDrive screen. It requires a $20 Bluetooth adapter, but it’s a cheap, easy, convenient way to monitor coolant and oil temps on track.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 07:04 AM   #7
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Unless you’re tracking hard in ambient temps say 32C+, even on a stage 2 tune, I don’t think you need to upgrade coolant/oil coolers.

I use Trackaddict via a wifi obd to monitor oil/coolant/IAT, with an ambient temp of 28-30C my oil is 110-115C & coolant 100-105C, 20minute sessions/BM3 custom stage 2 plus remember with our 6MT the main coolant radiator gets clearer/cooler air as no DCT oil cooler mounted in front of it.

Even with stock engine tune I would think your IAT's would be a problem especially top of 4th gear upwards (5th & 6th). I have a Wagner II Comp and top of 5th into 6th gear IAT's get to high 40's C even 50+, I'd be loosing power. I've not bothered to change it as even the with the hardest twisty road driving IAT's stay within 6-8C of ambient, it's just the high speed 5/6gears that are an issue.

Last edited by David.m; 03-13-2024 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 07:22 AM   #8
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Hello everybody,

after looking at several threads regarding cooling, it's difficult to know which upgrade to go for, I have a BMW M2 N55 from 2016 MT, totally original engine, no tune.
I do road and track, I'm looking to increase reliability and therefore lower the coolant and oil temperatures.
I am already equipped with the Moselmann oil thermostat, I am satisfied with it.

I was looking at DO88 to improve this, I see they sell a larger engine oil cooler as well as a larger coolant cooler (the small one to the left of the bumper), someone has any feedback on this brand? Above all, efficiency and reliability.
If you know of the best brands, don't hesitate.

Sorry for my English, I wrote this text partly with Google translate.

Thank you so much
DO88 makes a great radiator and oil cooler, you can't go wrong with their parts, ER's oil cooler is also supposed to be very good. I would just avoid CSF for anything.