BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 1 week in and I have some questions

03-02-2018, 12:43 AM   #67
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Hey boostm3, forgot to post this in the one above, but look at the charts again. In comfort mode, the db’s flutuate more and I noticed this when watching the Ipad during my test. In sport mode, it’s more consistent. I’m not sure what this exactly means but it’s something to take note of. Each chart shows about 15 seconds of history.

In the car, while observing the tach, I didn’t see any difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 01:11 AM   #68
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
The flap being open should definitely increase the volume outside the car, and I thought it was already common knowledge here that the flap was open more often in Sport & Sport+?
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #69
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
This chart from the owners manual posted on page one of this thread shows how the driving modes affect the exhaust flap (Number 7 in the diagram working in concert with the ASD)

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=22

I park in a parking garage everyday and can clearly hear a difference between the modes.

Try this next time you are in a parking garage: quickly accelerate and abruptly let off the throttle. You can hear the turbo spooling up and spooling down much more clearly in the sport modes that have the valve open. This is in addition to the previously mentioned increase in volume and pops/crackles.

If you are still in doubt about the valve look up literally any aftermarket exhaust installation and you will see how they either reuse the factory valve or add a secondary valve in addition to it. This also helps explain why one set of exhaust tips gets dirty before the other set, only one set has the valve.
      03-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #70
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Hey boostm3, forgot to post this in the one above, but look at the charts again. In comfort mode, the db’s flutuate more and I noticed this when watching the Ipad during my test. In sport mode, it’s more consistent. I’m not sure what this exactly means but it’s something to take note of. Each chart shows about 15 seconds of history.

In the car, while observing the tach, I didn’t see any difference.
Interesting. I dont think I mentioned it, but I wanted to thank you for quantifying this. When ASD was enabled, it certainly was abundantly clear to me how much louder sport and sport+ were. I always wondered how much of that noise was fake ASD and how much was the natural exhaust note. In the cabin, I knew most of it was ASD, but when I hung my head out the window, I didint hear what I heard inside the cabin. So I always assumed it was all ASD.. When I disabled it, I never really heard the volume increase either at idle or under load when changing drive modes.. I always was aware of the crackles and pops on overrun, but on acceleration and not at idle. So Im thinking its partly the DP and possibly the concrete enclosures you first experienced this in. To this day, in idle and under load, Im not hearing the change in drive modes, accept for pops and crackles. If its there, for me, its nowhere near as loud or prominent as ASD was, which is one of the reasons I got rid of that fake noise.

Thanks again for your efforts in this area..
      03-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #71
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
This chart from the owners manual posted on page one of this thread shows how the driving modes affect the exhaust flap (Number 7 in the diagram working in concert with the ASD)

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=22

I park in a parking garage everyday and can clearly hear a difference between the modes.

Try this next time you are in a parking garage: quickly accelerate and abruptly let off the throttle. You can hear the turbo spooling up and spooling down much more clearly in the sport modes that have the valve open. This is in addition to the previously mentioned increase in volume and pops/crackles.

If you are still in doubt about the valve look up literally any aftermarket exhaust installation and you will see how they either reuse the factory valve or add a secondary valve in addition to it. This also helps explain why one set of exhaust tips gets dirty before the other set, only one set has the valve.
Im aware of the chart, but I always thought it was primarily related to ASD, however, there was never a question in my mind about the engine overrun pops and crackles being different between drive modes. As I told Joe, for me, with ASD gone, the difference in drive modes in idle and under acceleration is much less prominent wrt noise. Im not saying exhaust valves werent used, just that at idle and under acceleration, minus engine overrun, it hasnt been audible to me. It certainly is less prominent than ASD would have us believe. With ASD gone, at least I know that what Im hearing are bonafide engine and exhaust sounds, which are glorious to my ears; why BMW wants to cover that up with a cheap and ill designed simulation is beyond me.

Last edited by boostm3; 03-02-2018 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0