BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 1 week in and I have some questions

02-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Dblaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

1 week in and I have some questions

Apologies if some of these have been answered, but did look and didn't find them. I have some pretty basic questions about my M2 that I also couldn't find in the user manual...online or in the car. Btw I love the way this car looks, handles, and goes. Pretty much love this car.

Driver profiles - how do you actually save a driver profile? Does it save automatically after you make changes? Does it include seat position or is that only the realm of the seat position buttons on the side of the seat?

Sport/Sport + - So I feel a difference in power between comfort and sport, to the point where I warm up the car in comfort and then switch it into sport. Is there also a power increase for going from sport to sport +? And how do you disengage the autoblip on the manual in sport +?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblaz View Post
Apologies if some of these have been answered, but did look and didn't find them. I have some pretty basic questions about my M2 that I also couldn't find in the user manual...online or in the car. Btw I love the way this car looks, handles, and goes. Pretty much love this car.

Driver profiles - how do you actually save a driver profile? Does it save automatically after you make changes? Does it include seat position or is that only the realm of the seat position buttons on the side of the seat?

Sport/Sport + - So I feel a difference in power between comfort and sport, to the point where I warm up the car in comfort and then switch it into sport. Is there also a power increase for going from sport to sport +? And how do you disengage the autoblip on the manual in sport +?

Thanks!
Press the mem button next to the 1 on the side of the seat then hit the number. You can have 2 profiles.

Sport + is the same as sport with all the nannies off. What is sport though? I know it opens the exhaust.

I've had mine 5 days. Best car I've ever owned
      02-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh600cbr View Post
Press the mem button next to the 1 on the side of the seat then hit the number. You can have 2 profiles.

Sport + is the same as sport with all the nannies off. What is sport though? I know it opens the exhaust.

Sport+ doesn't have all the nannies off. Comfort and Sport have the nannies on but Sport has faster shifting (DCT), more sensitive throttle, and heavier steering (can configure throttle and steering in sport though). MDM/Traction mode (one button press on DSC button) has reduced stability control but SC is not off. Sport+ is like MDM/Traction mode with reduces stability control but has the most sensitive throttle response, and heavy steering.

Hold DSC button to deactivate stability control/TC nannies. This mode gives you Sport throttle response but not Sport+ It also turns off rev match on MT. It should no longer brake or reduce throttle when the car is slipping.... use carefully.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
I don't know if the profiles also include the seat, and at this point I'm too scared to find out, since I have the seats just the way I want them. I do think they save mirror positions and other small details.

The different modes provide different sensitivity levels to the throttle position. I don't think that necessarily means power, though. Anyway, here's the breakdown:
  1. Comfort - All driver aids on, smoothest throttle and steering.
  2. Traction (Press the DSC OFF button once) - Same as Comfort mode, but with limited Stability Intervention and different map (different exhaust note and sounds).
  3. Sport - More aggressive throttle and wheel response, heavier steering and different map (different exhaust note and sounds).
  4. Sport+ - Same as Sport, but with reduced stability and traction intervention.
  5. DSC OFF (Hold the DSC OFF button) - No driver aids, turns off throttle blip, traction control.
Appreciate 1
Moris3.00
      02-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
For the "autoblip" or rev match as it's called, on the M2 it's designed to be there 100% of the time in comfort, sport and sport + and the only way to turn it off is to hold the traction control button and turn all driving assists completely off. It's not like the F8X M3/4 where it shuts off in sport +.

The only solution to this "problem" is to code it out with ESYS or bimmercode:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1418405

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1168116

This however disables it completely. You won't be able to just turn it on and off with ease at your leisure.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 05:02 AM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:

Sport plus does not turn off all the nannies! Probably best to read the owner's manual before you post advice to others.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2018, 06:12 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
I have some pretty basic questions about my M2 that I also couldn't find in the user manual...online or in the car.

Well, there you are:
  1. The manual 2018: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...7&d=1504635714 (or choose your model year here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1201088);
  2. "Controls | Opening and closing | Driver profile" (page #58);
  3. "Controls | Settings | Memory function" (page #74).
Appreciate 1
Dblaz43.50
      02-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:

Just OMG if you cant feel the difference in throttle response in each of the 3 modes. Maybe your car is broken. Or your butt calibration.
      02-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Just OMG if you cant feel the difference in throttle response in each of the 3 modes. Maybe your car is broken. Or your butt calibration.
He has had the car for less than a week and is in the break-in period...give him a break...he'll get there.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #10
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

I think that you will find any sound difference you hear between modes is just the ASD. The engine map is always the same. The throttle response (as it is electric) varies between modes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
Dblaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

There's definitely a difference in throttle response...from comfort -> sport -> sport +. Sport + is insane fun and I'm tempted just to drive the car in that as the regular setting lol.

Until I get a speeding ticket....

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Well, there you are:
  1. The manual 2018: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...7&d=1504635714 (or choose your model year here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1201088);
  2. "Controls | Opening and closing | Driver profile" (page #58);
  3. "Controls | Settings | Memory function" (page #74).
Ug. Thanks. I missed the following sentence when I was reading through it.

"Changes to the settings are automatically stored in the driver profile currently activated".
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB --> LBB View Post
He has had the car for less than a week and is in the break-in period...give him a break...he'll get there.
I hear you.. I dont object to his inexperience with the model; I object to flatly stating falsehoods as fact:

"Sport + is the same as sport with all the nannies off. What is sport though? I know it opens the exhaust. "

Is there anything correct in that statement? Ask questions, dont state that which you dont know. Do the research before misleading folks is all Im saying.

Last edited by boostm3; 02-24-2018 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #13
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
I think that you will find any sound difference you hear between modes is just the ASD. The engine map is always the same. The throttle response (as it is electric) varies between modes.
I’ve got ASD coded out with Fabspeed d/p and there is a sound difference between comfort and the sport modes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #14
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
I’ve got ASD coded out with Fabspeed d/p and there is a sound difference between comfort and the sport modes.
Stick a decibel meter on that puppy.. Ive got zero difference with ASD deleted via harness, but stock downpipe.
      02-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Stick a decibel meter on that puppy.. Ive got zero difference with ASD deleted via harness, but stock downpipe.
They sound different as far as like when the overrun happens, pops and bangs, and that kind of thing. Not sure that one is louder than the other though.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #16
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
They sound different as far as like when the overrun happens, pops and bangs, and that kind of thing. Not sure that one is louder than the other though.
Agreed.
      02-25-2018, 12:51 AM   #17
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

My point is that the engine map remains the same. The steeper throttle response can make the engine sound different but the reality is that if hit the peddle to the floor in any mode without the ASD the sound will be similar.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      02-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #18
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
My point is that the engine map remains the same. The steeper throttle response can make the engine sound different but the reality is that if hit the peddle to the floor in any mode without the ASD the sound will be similar.
Correct.. What we are talking about is the audible increase in volume the fake news ASD gives you vs the natural, unaided increase in sound the engine provides through more aggressive throttle mapping.

With ASD enabled, hold peddle steady at any rpm, switch from comfort to sport mode, and youll get an immediate increase in cabin volume.. Do the same with ASD disabled, and with go peddle in the same position, you hear no difference in volume.

Most of us love the natural sound of the N55 engine and exhaust as much as we loathe that which obscures it, ie, ASD.
BruceM983.00
      02-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #19
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Does Sport and MDM have the same exhaust note?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #20
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
In MDM you have more pops and bangs than in Sport, but the exhaust valve is not open.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #21
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Ive found that the inherent exhaust note is unaffected by drive mode; only the amount of noise the ASD module puts into the cabin.

However the pops and crackles on exhaust overrun I find to be sound similar in quantity and volume between sport+ mode and MDM regardless of ASD.

I find sport mode's pops and crackles in exhaust overrun to be slightly more evident in sport mode than comfort mode, but significantly less than sport+ and MDM regardless of ASD.
      02-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #22
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Here are the parameters for the driving modes. /thread on that part of the topic.
Attached Images