BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > "Mounting" to Carpet

05-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

"Mounting" to Carpet

I'm getting a stealth radar enclosure that will sit on the rear deck. I asked how to mount it and the vendor said, "Most people just use double sided tape to mount the enclosure. You don’t need anything with super strong adhesive, just light duty strength is fine." But...residue on my carpet after years baking in the sun back there = !

I'm planning to try thing 1 or thing 2 (for thing 2, I'd just use the hook side stuck on the enclosure).

Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias View Post
I'm getting a stealth radar enclosure that will sit on the rear deck. I asked how to mount it and the vendor said, "Most people just use double sided tape to mount the enclosure. You don’t need anything with super strong adhesive, just light duty strength is fine." But...residue on my carpet after years baking in the sun back there = !

I'm planning to try thing 1 or thing 2 (for thing 2, I'd just use the hook side stuck on the enclosure).

Any other ideas?
If I recall on my wifes 2 series the package tray is nylon based and if you use sticky velcro that shit will stain over time. I would try thing 1 for sure.

Or use some type of bracket and figure out how to secure it to the split fold area of the package tray like I circled in the photo. Not sure how high the box has to be though for the radar to be at maximum efficiency.
Attached Images

05-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Or use some type of bracket and figure out how to secure it to the split fold area of the package tray like I circled in the photo. Not sure how high the box has to be though for the radar to be at maximum efficiency.
That's a great idea! I'll try a temporary solution and if it doesn't work I'll see if I can find someone to help me make a mount. I'm handy, but not particularly innovative with mechanical solutions. Thanks for your idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

Use strong black stitches and "bury" the knots beneath so it won't be seen. I used just 1 in each corner and that thing ain't goin anywhere
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias View Post
That's a great idea! I'll try a temporary solution and if it doesn't work I'll see if I can find someone to help me make a mount. I'm handy, but not particularly innovative with mechanical solutions. Thanks for your idea.
There has to be a gap between the plastic trim and the underlying sheet metal. Home Depot sells a ton of different brackets like these. I would bend them flatter until they were at the appropriate angle, plasti-dip so you don't have metal rubbing on metal, and attach the radar box to the bracket then shove the tab into the gap between the trim and the sheet metal. Should be more than secure enough for what you are trying to do and not involve any modification or damage to your vehicle.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...5052/202034033
Appreciate 1