BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > "M2 will be a car limited to only the people that can truly appreciate it"

07-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #89
RLBB
Private
Rep
Drives: 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Interesting.... Are you saying the M2 is going to use the m4's sump design? That'd be pretty sweet if so.
Not saying that since I don't know for sure, but I "heard" some S55 parts are in this revised N55. Solid source.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #90
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
So do turbo sixes... so what does it matter?

What you are really saying is... Turbo 4s from Subaru and Mitsubishi sound boring... because you've not hear a BMW turbo 4... and more than likely.. if you are like the majority of Bimwads today.. you've never really heard a BMW 4 cylinder either..

Calm down, bro.

1. You're comparing a boxer engine with an inline engine. Of course STi's with cannons sound pretty damn nice.

2. I've heard a turbo I4 from BMW. And all other turbo I4 from VAG and others.

3. My car does not sound boring.

I'm all for weight savings and I wouldn't mind a four cylinder in the M2 if it was the one from your video. Dat induction noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBB View Post
Not saying that since I don't know for sure, but I "heard" some S55 parts are in this revised N55. Solid source.
Well, this is very interesting to hear and thank you for sharing it with us. Anything more, haha?
      07-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #91
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 MW/CSC/6MT/18s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
Everyone is different.. even among this group which is so keenly interested in the M2 that we are speculating upon the speculation. For me, the M3/M4 is simply too large and heavy. I liked my E36 M3 from long ago and my more recent, though reliability flawed, 135. I'm looking for something like those.

I probably should look at the Cayman. I suppose if the S version had the Base price tag I would already have one. Need to get over my aversion to used cars.
Yeh I am in the same boat with pre-owned. Anything designed to "be driven" I want new for peace of mind. It's silly but true.

The P-car was incredible but a different experience. If you are shopping in that price range, I would highly recommend it if just to give you a different idea of what you could purchase in the same price range. It is hard to pass up, but BMW (as a company) throws in the no-cost service which Porsche does not. It is a factor for me but not one that immediately make me swing either way. Other unique thing is that a lot of Caymans are driven as DDs which I can see. I actually think the Cayman has more usable space than my 370Z did. It is very much an enthusiast car, but one that can just be civilized enough to be driven daily and get the groceries and dry-cleaning.

As said, I am hoping that the M2 at least gets close to the nimbleness of the Cayman, while preserving the torque, power and convenience of the F80. I will compromise, but not agreeing to anything and changing over money on blind faith. Part of me is ready to commit and continue saving for the Cayman but I love my BMW. Car puts a smile on my face everyday.

Does anyone know if the M2 will derive any suspension/braking components from the current F coded M cars? I assume this has been discussed ad nausea, but a quick answer would be great. My primary concerns are handling and braking.

Very interesting too regarding shared M4 components.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #92
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR MFS View Post
Does anyone know if the M2 will derive any suspension/braking components from the current F coded M cars? I assume this has been discussed ad nausea, but a quick answer would be great. My primary concerns are handling and braking.

Very interesting too regarding shared M4 components.
Quick answer: yes.
      07-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #93
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 MW/CSC/6MT/18s

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quick answer: yes.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #94
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Everyone is different.. even among this group which is so keenly interested in the M2 that we are speculating upon the speculation.
T minus two months.

Name:  Party.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  31.8 KB
      07-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #95
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Everyone is different.. even among this group which is so keenly interested in the M2 that we are speculating upon the speculation. For me, the M3/M4 is simply too large and heavy. I liked my E36 M3 from long ago and my more recent, though reliability flawed, 135. I'm looking for something like those.

I probably should look at the Cayman. I suppose if the S version had the Base price tag I would already have one. Need to get over my aversion to used cars.
I don't have a problem with used cars, because literally all the cars I've ever owned have been used (some more used than others... aka my 4Runner )

But buying a car that I custom ordered is a bucket list item of mine. With cars getting more and more complicated, I feel like this my window. Thus why the Cayman S is out.

And I'm also greedy because I'd want a GT4 and that's not possible
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #96
abp689
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon,330ZHP, 318Ti (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR MFS View Post
The P-car was incredible but a different experience. If you are shopping in that price range, I would highly recommend it if just to give you a different idea of what you could purchase in the same price range.
Very excited for the 2 and anticipate that the price matches performance.

If not, I am definitely looking at the Cayman. No issue with a clean used car, so if I really need 4 seats, the 911 is in play.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #97
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I don't have a problem with used cars, because literally all the cars I've ever owned have been used (some more used than others... aka my 4Runner )

But buying a car that I custom ordered is a bucket list item of mine. With cars getting more and more complicated, I feel like this my window. Thus why the Cayman S is out.

And I'm also greedy because I'd want a GT4 and that's not possible
What concerns you about ever increasing car complexity, besides the obvious, which is causing you to exclude the Cayman S from your potential list?
I haven't gotten around to driving one yet but the "Boss" has been clear that the path to our next BMW is through the nearby "German row" of Porsche/Mercedes/Audi dealerships, so I'll get my chance....

There's nothing wrong with being greedy and wanting a GT4, never say never. We live to dream, work hard, and get ahead, which includes climbing the automotive ladder!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #98
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
What concerns you about ever increasing car complexity, besides the obvious, which is causing you to exclude the Cayman S from your potential list?
I haven't gotten around to driving one yet but the "Boss" has been clear that the path to our next BMW is through the nearby "German row" of Porsche/Mercedes/Audi dealerships, so I'll get my chance....

There's nothing wrong with being greedy and wanting a GT4, never say never. We live to dream, work hard, and get ahead, which includes climbing the automotive ladder!
Sorry, I guess I answered the question wrong. The reason the Cayman S is out is because of my budget
They're a little more expensive than what I'm wanting to pay. I could go used of course, but like I said, I want to buy new for once in my life. I was talking about how now is the time to buy for me, because cars are starting to get so complicated that I won't be able to DIY much (we're close to reaching that point already IMO). That's why I want to pull the trigger in the near future, rather than in 5-8 years.

But back to the Cayman, I highly recommend you trying one out. They look great inside out, drive amazing and sound amazing. Can't imagine what a GT4 will be like. Luckily, my buddy is picking his up next month so I'll get to try it out hopefully.

One day, I'll own a used Porsche GT car. It'll be in the very distant future, but it's definitely on my to do list.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:20 AM   #99
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

The Boxster Spyder is so damn gorgeous. It won't be as limited as the GT4, so hopefully the prices won't go up that much in the future. I want one so bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #100
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
IMHO the theory that enthusiasts get the M2, even if its price cuts (deep) into the M3/M4 zone when 'customized', might rather work for a Cayman GT4 than for an M2 base version. M2 CSL might be a different story, though.
The M2 and GT4 are completely different cars. To me, it doesn't make much sense to get a GT4 if you aren't track-focused. The M2 will be an awesome all-around driver's car, far more practical, far more versatile... and as good a deal as the bin-parts GT4 is, I expect the M2 will be an even better value, particularly if you want a DD. An M2 CSL sounds wonderful, but I'm not holding my breath, especially here in the USA.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #101
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
The M2 and GT4 are completely different cars. To me, it doesn't make much sense to get a GT4 if you aren't track-focused. The M2 will be an awesome all-around driver's car, far more practical, far more versatile... and as good a deal as the bin-parts GT4 is, I expect the M2 will be an even better value, particularly if you want a DD. An M2 CSL sounds wonderful, but I'm not holding my breath, especially here in the USA.
Yes, very different cars.

IF you want a track focused car, the GT4 is an outstanding value relative to the rest of the Porsche lineup. About $90k gets you a Weissach tuned car with similar performance to a $120k 911, yet still has deviated stitching, forged wheels, etc. Things that cost a lot of $$ in Porsche land. You know that though having had a few 911s.

As far as BMW, I think a lightly optioned M3 is probably still going to be a better value than the M2. Just because of all the carbon bits, S engine, etc. M3 is just too big for my taste right now, so I would probably still prefer the M2 unless the price is outrageous. I guess in that sense, a true M car < $60k is a huge value in the same way as the GT4.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #102
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
Yes, very different cars.
IF you want a track focused car, the GT4 is an outstanding value relative to the rest of the Porsche lineup. About $90k gets you a Weissach tuned car with similar performance to a $120k 911, yet still has deviated stitching, forged wheels, etc. Things that cost a lot of $$ in Porsche land. You know that though having had a few 911s.
As far as BMW, I think a lightly optioned M3 is probably still going to be a better value than the M2. Just because of all the carbon bits, S engine, etc. M3 is just too big for my taste right now, so I would probably still prefer the M2 unless the price is outrageous. I guess in that sense, a true M car < $60k is a huge value in the same way as the GT4.
Someone considered the Cayman GT4 to be "the most «analog» sports car currently in the ‪‎Porsche‬ line-up".

A bit of a bold statement, but I think I understand what message the author tries to get across (especially because of the comparison with a 918 Spyder). Analog and sweet nostalgia often dance together. Here's to hoping that we will be able to say that the M2 is the most «analog» BMW in the available ///M line-up.