BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > "M2 will be a car limited to only the people that can truly appreciate it"

07-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #45
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
The F80 is a better choice, I don't know what people are expecting in here, but it's not going to be better than an F80, as for weeding out people I doubt you will need to, I've yet to see a single M235i here, I've only seen three 2 series in total, all three were diesel! lol, seems to me people in this forum as talking the M2 up way too much, anyone that would spend more on an M2 than an M3 just to be individual either has too much money and doesnÂ’t care about the car, or they need their head examining, and what is it with people and manualÂ’s? If you want a manual buy one, but stop going on like everyone that likes drives must have one or they arenÂ’t an enthusiast
How will the F80 be automatically a better choice when:

1. M2 hasn't even been revealed, not even a concept.

2. 2 different card with different goals.

Or are you just saying your opinion is right and everyone else's is wrong? Because in my eyes, M2 will be the better car. Key phrase: in my eyes.
Because the M4 cones with a real true S Motor, and for this much money its a joke otherwise.

MB fans would laugh if a AMG did not come w a hand built Engine, but somehow BMW is pulling this hat trick, as they did with the M Performance Model named the 1 M Coupe, and laughably people are okay with it!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #46
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Because the M4 cones with true S Motor, and for this much money its a joke otherwise.

MB fans would laugh if a AMG did not come w a hand built Engine, but somehow BMW is pulling this hat trick, as they did with the M Performance Model named the 1 M Coupe, and laughably people are okay with it!
I'll take BMW's world famous I6 over a "hand built" 4 pot any day of the year. That's just me.

On another note, while I really liked the S55 and still am considering the F80, the maintenance on it scares me a little bit because I plan to keep these cars long term.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #47
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'll take BMW's world famous I6 over a "hand built" 4 pot any day of the year. That's just me.

On another note, while I really liked the S55 and still am considering the F80, the maintenance on it scares me a little bit because I plan to keep these cars long term.
And what if M Division had decided to do a high strung 4 pot and put it in this car? Then what would say?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #48
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
And what if M Division had decided to do a high strung 4 pot and put it in this car? Then what would say?
I'd have to drive it before I make up my mind. The N20 is OK, but hardly that exciting. Would have to see what an S20 would be like.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against 4 pots (big fan of MINI's, had an MCS for a couple of months). But like I said, I'd take a 6 pot over a 4 pot any day of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #49
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Because the M4 cones with true S Motor, and for this much money its a joke otherwise.

I am not comparing a 4 pot to a 6. I am referring to a special S motor vs a motor that goes in a series car.

I still have high hopes that M surprises us with something more than a n55 variant.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #50
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I am not comparing a 4 pot to a 6. I am referring to a special S motor vs a motor that goes in a series car.

I still have high hopes that M surprises us with something more than a n55 variant.
Well you did say that AMG fans would laugh if their cars didn't come with a "hand built" engine, so I threw the CLA45AMG in there.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #51
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well you did say that AMG fans would laugh if their cars didn't come with a "hand built" engine, so I threw the CLA45AMG in there.
M Fans should be concerned but the scary part is most are not.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #52
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oh trust me, I've heard it all before, especially because I own a US spec E36 M3. You want to talk about getting sh1t for not having a "real" M engine.

Like I said, I enjoyed my time in the M235i and I'm more or less looking more towards the suspension and brakes of the car. Not saying that the engine is not important, but the M235i was fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #53
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh trust me, I've heard it all before, especially because I own a US spec E36 M3. You want to talk about getting sh1t for not having a "real" M engine.

Like I said, I enjoyed my time in the M235i and I'm more or less looking more towards the suspension and brakes of the car. Not saying that the engine is not important, but the M235i was fine for me.
Price is the deciding factor.

But still weak sauce IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #54
el_
Poland
Rep
Drives: F20 M135ix, Abarth GP

Garage List
Quote:
There is no "magic" inside the 2-liter AMG engine. Basically, it's a regular MB 2-liter with a bigger turbocharger.

And than they took two of them and put them together to create a "very special" ;-) 4.0 V8 for AMG GT and C 63. Finally, they detuned that V8 and will put it in non-AMG models, badged as 500 (the first car with it underhood is G 500 4x4²)

The era of bespoke engines for performance models is end.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #55
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

As you might likely know from other posts, I quote sources as much as possible.

I notice that the link to the original article in the first post has recently vanished. It wasn't me.
      07-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #56
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 MCB M3 sold =(

If it sounds good and has power I don't care. And it's not like they're taking a motor from the 235 and just throwing it in without any changes. I remember being very pleasantly surprised by a 1M when I finally had a chance to drive one. The car feels special and unique and definitely does not even remotely sound like a 135 when driving it. I'm 0% worried about anything being not good on the M2.
      07-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #57
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

The whole will be greater than the sum of its parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #58
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I notice that the link to the original article in the first post has recently vanished. It wasn't me.
I'm beginning to believe some sites (site managers?) just don't co exist.
I read this article a while ago and, in the end, I didn't get much out of it. It was like the author had a bunch of disparate thoughts and instead of developing one or two and nailing them down, he tried to logically connect them all. The result, IMO, was a potpourri of unconvincing conclusions.
Thanks for posting it, though. The comments have been interesting and suggest I'm in the minority. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #59
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
The whole will be greater than the sum of its parts.
Yes.

Also, to those who are 'not feeling it' yet, try to understand why enthusiasts are looking forward to this car.
Name:  Dancing.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  35.9 KB
      07-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #60
rb2260
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3

Lol, I think it funny how people are quick to anoint themselves the "true" car enthusiasts b/c they are buying a smaller M car with "fewer" options. I wonder how many of these "enthusiasts" will bloat up the car with moonroof, upgraded sound, nav, premium leather, etc but feel that they are driving the "better" driver's car than the M4.

I will wait and see if there's a M2 CSL, otherwise i'm happy with my stripper E30 and E46. doubt it, as BMW has learned American "enthusiasts" will not buy a car w/o radio or AC. the e46 CSL is still one of the ultimate "driver's" car (not perfect as it was not manual).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #61
abp689
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon,330ZHP, 318Ti (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
As you might likely know from other posts, I quote sources as much as possible.

Okay, that's odd; why remove the link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2260 View Post
Lol, I think it funny how people are quick to anoint themselves the "true" car enthusiasts b/c they are buying a smaller M car with "fewer" options. I wonder how many of these "enthusiasts" will bloat up the car with moonroof, upgraded sound, nav, premium leather, etc but feel that they are driving the "better" driver's car than the M4.
YEAH, IDK: My brother in law has three cars: one for dirt track, one for asphalt, and a truck to pull them. Neither have a back seat, or really a passenger seat for that matter. If I told his crew that I was deleting navigation from the M2 for weight saving and purity of spirit, not really sure what they would say, but I have an idea

With that said, I missed out on the e46 and the M2 seems like a nice complement. Also, unless standard, I am not opting for the navigation. Figure I can tape the money saved to the underneath of the car and lower my center of gravity - surly that is something the crew can get behind
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #62
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

No doubt!!!

The one thing I like about the 1er M Coupe' was the no nav option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abp689 View Post
Okay, that's odd; why remove the link?

YEAH, IDK: My brother in law has three cars: one for dirt track, one for asphalt, and a truck to pull them. Neither have a back seat, or really a passenger seat for that matter. If I told his crew that I was deleting navigation from the M2 for weight saving and purity of spirit, not really sure what they would say, but I have an idea

With that said, I missed out on the e46 and the M2 seems like a nice complement. Also, unless standard, I am not opting for the navigation. Figure I can tape the money saved to the underneath of the car and lower my center of gravity - surly that is something the crew can get behind
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #63
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

Or...

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #64
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
No doubt!!!

The one thing I like about the 1er M Coupe' was the no nav option.
I don't know, the nav in the 2 is awesome. It shows 3D looking images of where you are. It even showed me the grandstands and features of California Speedway as I drove on the track!

Look at the screen!
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 04:35 AM   #65
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
To be honest there is so much speculations on these forums regarding how the M2 is gonna be, Such a blast to read. Although i must say we know nothing more about it now , then what they want to us to know ,

Its probably gonna be an Entry Model in to the M world, So the younger generation can buy it, don't know even how young people will be able to even afford a car that cost 48,000€ MSRP to begin with. But still its probably gonna feel a little bit more nimble and a bit more playful not as much Premium as the M3/M4 witch are considered for the older generation who likes performance but don't want to look like the 18 year old neighbors son who just got a driving license and drives around dads MB and looks cool.

Then slams it in to the side curf and tells nothing to his father and gets such a huge scolding that he almost shits his pants, But with the M2 its probably gonna be okay to look a bit like that 18 year old,

Just messing with ya guys, Its probably gonna be a great drivers car as long as they hit the price range correctly a lot of people will consider this car over an full blown M3/M4 due to the size. And in a couple of years those who had the M2 will probably be a bit older and buy them self whatever ///M Car that comes out to suit them wherever they are in there life for the moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:43 AM   #66
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

It probably would have made my put my 1m up for sale immediately, had they made an S20 powered M2.
Appreciate 0