BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Rear vents

09-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #23
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
I'm hoping for more flare than that. It looks like an M235i with big wheels and a different bumper.
It will be much nore aggressive. Look at the red prototype, it has giant flares. Looks like they came ofd the F80, looks great
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
I'm hoping for more flare than that.
More flare and/or more flair ?

Name:  Matchbox_1M_1.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  147.1 KB
Name:  Matchbox_1M_2.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  154.9 KB
      09-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #25
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
It will be much more aggressive. Look at the red prototype, it has giant flares. Looks like they came of the F80, looks great
Remember that the 1M got its hallmark fenders for a functional reason: decently hosting precious ///M bits and pieces (as we know, the 1M benefits from almost the entire E9X M3 chassis and suspension - the only differences are the front subframe carried over from the E82 135i and the absence of the stiffening plate). So, enter flared fenders for the 1M.

BMW M pulled the same trick with the F80 M3: for a functional reason the M3 fenders are more "flared" than those of the M4:
"You might think that the BMW M3 and M4 are the same car, and for all practical intents and purposes, you would be correct. But I'll let you in on a little secret. While the underbits are basically the same, they're wearing very different dresses. See, the M4 has a wider body and some aero deficiencies compared to the M3, so it gets a special carbon fiber trunk. Woo. Hoo.
The M3 is the better looking car, and there are two simple words that will make you understand that: Fender flares. See, the sedan body [M3] is narrower than that of the M4, but the track is the same. Instead of just letting the wheels flail out there in the open, BMW covered them carefully and, dare I say, sensually.
No, it doesn't have a carbon trunk lid and instead makes do with a little add on lip spoiler, but that pock mark cannot spoil glorious fender flares. Combine that with the aggressive front end and bulging hood, and you have a real winner on your hands. I even like the Bimmerangs."
http://jalopnik.com/2015-bmw-m3-the-...iew-1635342844
So if you want to ensure that BMW M gets the M2 some flared fenders, ask them to get the M2 a wider track than the M235i. Form follows function: wider track = flared fenders are a bare necessity.

Name:  M4_M3.jpg
Views: 4928
Size:  88.9 KB
      09-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #26
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

^ I think it's pretty safe to assume that it'll have a wider track than the M235i.

Plus I'm going by these pictures. Those look like absolutely giant flares, looks fantastic to me

07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Impossible to tell really. It'd all be speculation at this point. I think the rear bumper vents will have a high chance of looking like concept car (because the 1M's was also pretty aggressive IMO). I would also love to see the fender vents just like that though. It seriously adds so much to the profile.

Haha I think you and I are the most active members in this subforum.
Haha, I agree. With no new information coming out about the M2, I'm confined to reading the same threads every single day. I'm just too hyped for this car, and it happened rather abruptly, ever since the most recent, absolutely BEAST spy shots came out of the red car.

Now that I know the front will resemble the GT6 concept, I've been ecstatic.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #28
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Haha, I agree. With no new information coming out about the M2, I'm confined to reading the same threads every single day. I'm just too hyped for this car, and it happened rather abruptly, ever since the most recent, absolutely BEAST spy shots came out of the red car.

Now that I know the front will resemble the GT6 concept, I've been ecstatic.
Same for me. I wasn't that interested in the car until I saw GT6 concept. Then I loved the idea even more when I drove an M235i with 8AT and was very surprised how much I enjoyed driving it. I can only imagine how much fun it would be with a 6MT, uprated suspension and brakes. A bit more power is just a bonus for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #29
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same for me. I wasn't that interested in the car until I saw GT6 concept. Then I loved the idea even more when I drove an M235i with 8AT and was very surprised how much I enjoyed driving it. I can only imagine how much fun it would be with a 6MT, uprated suspension and brakes. A bit more power is just a bonus for me.
Speaking of the GT6 concept, check out this image. Call me crazy, but it seems that there is a chance that it has vents at the corners of the headlights. I'd love it, if it does.

Also, I forgot to mention this as to why I am now leaning 80% M2 20% stingray instead of the other way around:

The stingray community is just not as cool. A lot of them are older men from the south (no offense to anyone from the south, but you can understand what I mean), that I just can't relate to. A lot of the use the term "democrat" as a negative word. Example: "I ordered the MT, only democrats drive autos"

Like, really? I don't care about your politics.

The BMW community is just so much better. On the Stingray forums, I couldn't have a long lasting string of communication like I've had with you over the past few days. The BMW community is just the best.

Important to me when choosing a car. I like to talk about cars, and I need to like the people I'm talking with to have a substantial conversation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 01:38 AM   #30
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 BMW 135i

This car is just killing me!
I need to make sure I am in a position to fulfill my allocation geez!!
I have saved every single pic of this beaut.

As for the fender flares, I have spent a loooong time analyzing both the M4 and M3, and the M2 just makes it look so damn right, and the M2 with its even narrower platform should then make it simply EPIC!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #31
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of the GT6 concept, check out this image. Call me crazy, but it seems that there is a chance that it has vents at the corners of the headlights. I'd love it, if it does.

Also, I forgot to mention this as to why I am now leaning 80% M2 20% stingray instead of the other way around:

The stingray community is just not as cool. A lot of them are older men from the south (no offense to anyone from the south, but you can understand what I mean), that I just can't relate to. A lot of the use the term "democrat" as a negative word. Example: "I ordered the MT, only democrats drive autos"

Like, really? I don't care about your politics.

The BMW community is just so much better. On the Stingray forums, I couldn't have a long lasting string of communication like I've had with you over the past few days. The BMW community is just the best.

Important to me when choosing a car. I like to talk about cars, and I need to like the people I'm talking with to have a substantial conversation.
Vents by the headlights would be interesting, although that might just be a camo. I don't see what that small vent would actually do.

I agree about the BMW community, it's a really great bunch of guys. I'm not on any other car brand forum, but I lose brain cells every time I read the comments section about the Vette or Mustang on Autoblog. There's so much ignorance. And I hear you about the South, I live in South Carolina haha

As for me, I'd say I've got the M2 squarely at 50%. Then 35% F80 as it's still the only 4 door I'd consider right now. But interestingly, I just read about rumors of a Porsche 718 coming out at the same time as the M2 more or less. Since I've got other cars, I wouldn't actually mind a 2 seater, and the rumor is that it'll start at $50k. But knowing Porsche, adding the bigger engine and a few performance options and it'll be well past what the stripper M2 would cost. So it's at 15% for me.

Quite a methodical way to being a car enthusiast with all these percentages

P.S. That frontal shot of the car from the Youtube video looks good. The car looks very wide and menacing, even with all the camo on
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #32
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

I just got my M-Sport 228i a few months back....already saving money for the M2. I WANT NOW!! This time im doing ED. Cant wait for this car!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #33
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

I hope it has 1M type vents and not built into the diffuser like the M4.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #34
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
^ I think it's pretty safe to assume that it'll have a wider track than the M235i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Back to the M2. Based on initial sketches.
You will know an M2 as it will be very different from an M235i in its stance and muscular bodywork.
The appearance leads on from the M235i Race car , typical facia with upturned central intake , aerodynamic spoilers around the outline of the brake intake with additional air curtain. The breather on the front wing will occupy the full length.
There is a wider track so both front and rear arches will be pronounced to accommodate 19" wheels. Although 18" will be offered.
Signature quad M exhaust ports with aerodynamic developed diffuser and a double edged Carbon fibre roof will be standard.
"Find the line, find the shape
Through the grain
Find the outline and things will
Tell you their name"

(Suzanne Vega - "Night Vision" [Solitude Standing - 1987])

Negatives of M2 test mules:

Name:  M2_Fenders_5.jpg
Views: 2981
Size:  96.7 KB
Name:  M2_Fenders_4.jpg
Views: 2978
Size:  115.1 KB
Name:  M2_Fenders_3.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  108.8 KB
Name:  M2_Fenders_2.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  127.5 KB
Name:  M2_Fenders.jpg
Views: 2998
Size:  182.9 KB
      09-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #35
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Through the grain
Tell you their name"

Attachment 1094440
Attachment 1094439
Attachment 1094438
Attachment 1094437
Attachment 1094436
That's a neat trick. Love the first 2 pics, really shows the flares.

How old is that post from Scott? He says that CF will be standard, but we haven't seen any proof that it will be. That would be absolutely HUGE for me if the double bubble roof is indeed available in the M2!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #36
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Through the grain
Tell you their name"

Attachment 1094440
Attachment 1094439
Attachment 1094438
Attachment 1094437
Attachment 1094436
WOW. Looks like this car is going to have some major flared fenders. Just wow.

I really hope some new information comes out before Christmas time. Anyone know of a rumored reveal date? I believe I saw March 2015, but I wish it'd be revealed this Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #37
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
How old is that post from Scott?
Jan 20, 2014 - so info could be outdated. At the same time @Scott26 had also reported that the M2 would feature a 4-cyl, likely because - around that time - BMW M had toyed (also) with the 4-banger idea but in the end changed its mind (recent info reports that the M2 is getting the N55 turbo inline 6 engine (N55B30T0)).
Quote:
Anyone know of a rumored reveal date? I believe I saw March 2015, but I wish it'd be revealed this Christmas.
Rumored production dates for the M2 (source: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=1):
  • EU/UK: November 2015 through October 2018
  • US: March 2016 through October 2018
As we know, the 1M is universally respected as motoring marvel by enthusiasts and the competition. No-one could have fathomed that the staunch M version of "just" the entry level BMW would be showered with "instant classic" accolades and capable of rocketing itself at once (2011) into car history books. Do yourself a favor and tackle the 1M whilst talking to dealers of Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, etc. In some way it's actually some sort of trolling, because they might sigh something along the lines: "Gotta admit: we can't fault that one. But please don't quote me on that".

Exit 1M - Enter M2: as game changer / benchmark within its category, the 1M royally paved the way of high expectations for the M2. So be patient. There are horses and horses for courses. The M235i and M235i Racing are entry courses (entrée). The M2 will be the main course. Let the BMW M Division spend time and resources to perfect the M2 prototype, to release a bat out of hell outdoing the 1M. Dropping the 4-banger engine layout idea (less weight though) in favor of a 6-banger, was in the end the right move - the best "fit for purpose" choice for this M car. It allows BMW M to even more showcast being on top of its game and allows the M2 to shine its many colors on the street and on track.

With the M2, BMW M got gold on their hands - and they know it. Sure they do. Many prospective owners sitting on the fence, lusting for a "1M 2.0" package and willing to pay top-dollar for it. Apart from an automotive success (design/concept/performance/technology/etc.), it has all the potential to become a commercial success too. With the right total package and smart pricing ("best bang for the buck" - rather affordable for the target customers), BMW M has another ace upon its sleeve to blow the competition out of the water. It will raise the bar, again. And the competition ? They know it too.

Name:  AceSleeve.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  35.5 KB
      09-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #38
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Jan 20, 2014 - so info could be outdated. At the same time @Scott26 had also reported that the M2 would feature a 4-cyl, likely because - around that time - BMW M had toyed (also) with the 4-banger idea but in the end changed its mind (recent info reports that the M2 is getting the N55 turbo inline 6 engine (N55B30T0)).

Rumored production dates for the M2 (source: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=1):
As we know, the 1M is universally respected as motoring marvel by enthusiasts and the competition. No-one could have fathomed that the staunch M version of "just" the entry level BMW would be showered with "instant classic" accolades and capable of rocketing itself at once (2011) into car history books. Do yourself a favor and tackle the 1M whilst talking to dealers of Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, etc. In some way it's actually some sort of trolling, because they might sigh something along the lines: "Gotta admit: we can't fault that one. But please don't quote me on that".

Exit 1M - Enter M2: as game changer / benchmark within its category, the 1M royally paved the way of high expectations for the M2. So be patient. There are horses and horses for courses. The M235i and M235i Racing are entry courses (entrée). The M2 will be the main course. Let the BMW M Division spend time and resources to perfect the M2 prototype, to release a bat out of hell outdoing the 1M. Dropping the 4-banger engine layout idea (less weight though) in favor of a 6-banger, was in the end the right move - the best "fit for purpose" choice for this M car. It allows BMW M to even more showcast being on top of its game and allows the M2 to shine its many colors on the street and on track.

With the M2, BMW M got gold on their hands - and they know it. Sure they do. Many prospective owners sitting on the fence, lusting for a "1M 2.0" package and willing to pay top-dollar for it. Apart from an automotive success (design/concept/performance/technology/etc.), it has all the potential to become a commercial success too. With the right total package and smart pricing ("best bang for the buck" - rather affordable for the target customers), BMW M has another ace upon its sleeve to blow the competition out of the water. It will raise the bar, again. And the competition ? They know it too.

Attachment 1094721
nice balanced post
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #39
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 1094721
Very informative post, thank you for typing that up.

Anyways, I can try my best to be patient, but it's just too exciting

As many other forum members have expressed, the bumper design of the red M2 is hard to make out at the corners. I've tried comparing it next to the front of the Gran Turismo Vision concept - and I see what Scott meant by "piece it together" but I still can't grasp if the intakes are exactly like the GT6 concept. Here's what I mean:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #40
Artemis
Rep

We need "fresh" sightings of the M2 test mule to get a better idea of the front end shape.

Name:  M2 1.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  140.4 KB
Name:  M2 2.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  156.1 KB
Name:  M2 3.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  166.7 KB

Name:  Trickery.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  129.9 KB
      09-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #41
Wilson
Private
Rep
Drives: broken down

I don't think it will look much like the GT6 concept at all, it will only have some of the 'themes' of that car. GT6 is too much Jap crap for even BMW to sell.

We've already seen what the car is going to look like, just remove the camo in your mind and you're there.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #42
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
I don't think it will look much like the GT6 concept at all, it will only have some of the 'themes' of that car. GT6 is too much Jap crap for even BMW to sell.

We've already seen what the car is going to look like, just remove the camo in your mind and you're there.
If you remove the camo it looks surprisingly similar to the GT6.

Calling the GT6 vision "Jap crap" is completely absurd.
Appreciate 0