BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2/M2C personal build threads: General, Bolt-ons/Tuning, Photos or Cosmetics forum ?

View Poll Results: Which forum do you prefer for 'Personal Build' threads ?
General forum 3 9.38%
Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning 3 9.38%
Photos and Videos 26 81.25%
Cosmetic Modifications 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

04-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

M2/M2C personal build threads: General, Bolt-ons/Tuning, Photos or Cosmetics forum ?

As moderator it happens to receive PMs about personal build (PB) threads: PB threads are moved from the general forum towards dedicated subforums. Subsequently, OP of a moved PB thread asks me to move back the PB thread to the general forum. And if I didn't move elsewhere a PB thread from the general forum, some ask me why 'PB thread X' still features in the general forum while their own PB thread was moved elsewhere in the past. Gotta inevitably disappoint some forum fellows.

So it's just a matter of 'pigeon-holing'. PB thread means of course that the car is modded, no longer stock. Difficulty is that there are several types of PB threads and that these get updated from time to time:
  • cosmetics and bolt-ons: some M Performance Parts, wrap, paint protection film, etc.;
  • tuning: more invasive surgery such as engine tuning/coding, suspension mods, different exhaust, etc.;
  • infomercials: use of a PB thread as something that got the look & feel of an 'infomercial' platform (the blurred line between informing enthusiasts about the existence of some aftermarket goodies, on the one hand, and promotion as part of a possible deal made with the one who supplied the aftermarket goodies, on the other hand) (quite peculiar: they mind the most that their PB thread is moved elsewhere - needless to say that the general forum gets most views).
Usually giving my best shot at being as fair as possible for all of you (got no commercial ties or interest whatsoever with BMW or aftermarket suppliers). I try to imagine where enthusiasts would normally first look (either now or in the future) for specific information that characterizes a thread. In the general forum threads get undersnowed pretty fast and it's quite vast and a pain to plow through during a search, so PB threads get bumped time and time again. I don't mind leaving a PB thread for a few days or weeks in the General forum before moving it to a subforum.

So let us all know your preference and comments.

For your convenience I post this poll only in the M2 general forum, though it also applies to the M2C forum (which only got 1 subforum).
      04-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I think there should be HS color thread in the photo section as well as that's the only color that doesn't have a dedicated thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Personally I think the forums are not that busy that it's not unreasonable to still have build/mod threads in the general section.

Personally I would miss them if they were within a sub forum as I rarely venture there. M2, M2C and pictures is already three sections for me to check and a quick look at the Regional UK.

I can totally appreciate many will feel the opposite and prefer everything neatly in its place.

Thanks for asking though Artemis M2 forum is really enjoyable.
      04-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I personally think that PB belong in sub forums. I don’t think that the general forum should be full of people gloating about their mods.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

My thought is that personal builds are always filled with pictures, and people go to them to see the pictures and maybe to get ideas of what to do to their own cars. That's the idea of the personal build threads... to show off what you have and did. So I believe the photo and videos section is appropriate. Both the reasons for the reader and the creator are picture focused as their reason for being there.

Pictures are the common denominator.

IMO you're putting way too much work on yourself trying to separate and organize them into appropriate subforums. Many, if not all, of the personal build threads transcend multiple categories. If I make a PB thread from the day I get my car (Pricing/Ordering), then do some cosmetic stuff (Cosmetic Mods), then later do power mods (Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust), then later do suspension mods (Suspension/Brakes), then later track the car (Track/Autocross)... do you really wanna be overseeing my thread constantly to move it to another subforum? That's five forums right there and that idea is impossible to maintain.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Also, in the past, I had to search for someone's PB thread. Reason was that I was getting my car corner balanced and wanted to reference the other guy's numbers with my own. I knew it was a PB thread I was looking for and I knew the PB threads were in the Photos subforum, just by looking at all the titles there. So I clicked on all the PB threads until I found the right one.

If I had to search multiple subforums because that guy did multiple different things to his car since creation of the thread, it would've taken way more time for me to find what I was looking for.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I think there should be HS color thread in the photo section as well as that's the only color that doesn't have a dedicated thread.
OK, just made two stickies in the M2 Competition forum (colors not available for the original M2 and M2 LCI). Here you go, akkando:
  • here for the "M2C colors: Hockenheim Silver M2C photos thread" sticky;
  • here for the "M2C colors: Sunset Orange M2C photos thread" sticky.
But also note the remarks of moderator mkoesel regarding a similar request (which will inevitably also surface in the future for the forthcoming M2 CS):
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
OT, but mkoesel any chance us CS owners (or soon-to-be ) can get our own M3/4CS subforum like the M4 GTS?
That would be up to forum admin. My personal thoughts are that the CS is similar enough to the rest of the lineup that a separate forum is unnecessary. Competition models have never had their own forum, and the CS could arguably be described as "ZCP Stage II".
Making multiple forums for different trim levels of the same car is a slippery slope. Yes, the M2C got its own forum, but that car actually replaced the original M2 completely so that made some sense. And the M4 GTS forum serves as a place to talk about its unique water injected engine, suspension, etc.
And what about the new 330i and M340i? They are no more similar to one another than an M3 Competition and M3 CS are (arguably less so, in fact). If the CS gets a forum, then you have to oblige M340i owners with their own forum too. Next thing, someone wants a "ZTP" specific forum, or an M Sport package forum, and who knows what else.
Just my 2 cents.
      04-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Wait until BMW gets really greedy and starts making M2.5 CS or M2/3rds Competition versions, you going to have be making a lot more subsections to keep with the saturation.

Artemis
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #9
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Always thought these got moved to the Pics and Vids section after usually being posted in the general forum. That's where it makes sense to me to have them and certainly where I look to find them. When I finally get around "gloating" (lol) and putting my build thread together, that's where I would put it.

M2C - my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
Bruuuce
the me
Rep
Drives: 01ZCoupe, 08M3Coupe, 21M2C

how about just a builds section, no clarification as to what kind of build
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 09:47 PM   #11
ForniteFever_01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
My thought is that personal builds are always filled with pictures, and people go to them to see the pictures and maybe to get ideas of what to do to their own cars. That's the idea of the personal build threads... to show off what you have and did. So I believe the photo and videos section is appropriate. Both the reasons for the reader and the creator are picture focused as their reason for being there.

Pictures are the common denominator.

IMO you're putting way too much work on yourself trying to separate and organize them into appropriate subforums. Many, if not all, of the personal build threads transcend multiple categories. If I make a PB thread from the day I get my car (Pricing/Ordering), then do some cosmetic stuff (Cosmetic Mods), then later do power mods (Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust), then later do suspension mods (Suspension/Brakes), then later track the car (Track/Autocross)... do you really wanna be overseeing my thread constantly to move it to another subforum? That's five forums right there and that idea is impossible to maintain.
+1 on this. A build thread, in my opinion, is meant for someone to share with others the work they've done to their car, and there's no better way to do that than with (lots of) pictures.
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      04-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Could you create a section separately for people to post their personal builds instead? That will help manage the clutter by effectively creating one stop shop for everyone in one place instead of spreading people across multiple forums for different types of mods they have done i.e. cosmetic, bolt-ons/tuning, etc. Perhaps even create two subs under the the Personal Builds subforum for M2 and M2C.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #13
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
Could you create a section separately for people to post their personal builds instead? That will help manage the clutter by effectively creating one stop shop for everyone in one place instead of spreading people across multiple forums for different types of mods they have done i.e. cosmetic, bolt-ons/tuning, etc. Perhaps even create two subs under the the Personal Builds subforum for M2 and M2C.
I don't see a need for a dedicated PB subforum. What's wrong with having them in the pictures section?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #14
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
down with this
Appreciate 0