BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 2 day M school complete

04-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

2 day M school complete

Just finished the 2 day M school in Spartanburg SC and had a great time.

School:

We had 16 people total, 3 groups with 6/5/5. I convinced my buddy Justin who recently picked up an M5C to do the school (track experience = best mod for the money) and they keep you together throughout.

Cars were M5, M4, and M2C

Cost - relative to your situation and if you had previous track experience. I thing you get more value out of the program if you have atleast 3-4 HPDE's so you are comfortable at speed and can focus on small details from instructors. My buddy had no experience and complained of cramped hands and left leg pain from squeezing the steering wheel so tight and pressing the dead pedal through the floor.

First day we had rain in the morning and it didnt dry out till around 2:30 that afternoon, so that helped get some wet time in all three cars.

M5 - this car is a boat, a speed boat that is. Basically anytime you pressed the throttle you had traction so it corrected alot of mistakes folks had with bad lines and accelerating too early (well before track out). The instructors said it holds the track record now including the short track we used the M2c on. Their theory is its launch is so fast that it gives it about .5 second advantage over the M2C on the short track (low 19 sec is M5 record/high 19 sec is M2C rec..dont recall exact time). The M5 and M4s had CCB and they were amazing. No brake fade and abused all day, everyday, until around 6 months when the tech said they usually need replaced. If you have an M5 without CCB and plan on tracking, you will need new brakes very quickly.

M4 - had CCBs, enough about that

M2C - I have an 18 M2 LCI with several track days at Harris Hill, a shorter track with some similar style turns from bmw's track. If I'm totally objective I think M2C is ever so slightly better than my LCI for a few reasons. They had the larger brake package and seemed to hold up very well given they had only a few minutes to cool down between groups beating on them. The sound goes to LCI with my fabspeed DP and ASD removed. At track out, Comp did feel slightly quicker then my LCI (emphasis on slight). Instructors indicated they notice slight acceleration improvement in the comp when on the longer track too. The M mirrors are noticeable and i'll have to get that 'fixed' on my LCI. The seats look better but IMO dont feel any different at speed. The wheels look terrible in pictures and good in person. If someone is debating on selling an OG M2 for Comp, they have too much money. For anyone else, save your OG and get an M2 with an S58 in a few years. Better yet, save it and get to a track, you'll easily erase any advantage a comp has with experience.

Other school notes: Instructors where great, especially Laura who put our specific school together. We had a good mix of activities and appropriate down time by way of fun drift type of events after several at speed track sessions. Looking forward to a Ring school in a few years.
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 10
heavyD^23688.50
GregoryK503.00
///M Houbi1653.00
Poochie9103.00
AndrewC198910910.50
///M TOWN15930.50
QM287.00
CrashFL137.50
      04-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Did the 2 day school completion get you any kind of race licensing?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Good write up! Driver mod is key to confidence and skill, and those are key to speed.

Interesting about the M5. Figures the M2 and 4 would gain on it in the twisties.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

That look like a ton of fun!

The 2 day M school is a dream of mines but the last time I priced it, it came up to $4,000.

It was too much for me to spend now on something intangible but as soon as the opportunity presents itself, I'm doing it!

The other thing is the rep told me they only have DCT and ZF8s now, no more manuals. So that also skewed my decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Did the 2 day school completion get you any kind of race licensing?
We all got a certificate of completion. Good for your insurance as it counts as drivers safety and education course. For race credentials, you'll not be anywhere near ready to race with just the 2day mschool. Most I've done you need to prove to instructors that you are safe by calling all flags out before they do and generally smooth around course, that gets a nod for solo driving. After enough of those you may be able to solo at a COTA hpde...
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN15930.50
      04-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #6
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

That's awesome. I was just there this Sunday for the Car control school. It was a great time all around.
      04-10-2019, 02:21 AM   #7
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Looks like it's absolutely worth it.
      04-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiparock View Post
We all got a certificate of completion. Good for your insurance as it counts as drivers safety and education course. For race credentials, you'll not be anywhere near ready to race with just the 2day mschool. Most I've done you need to prove to instructors that you are safe by calling all flags out before they do and generally smooth around course, that gets a nod for solo driving. After enough of those you may be able to solo at a COTA hpde...
I'm already a HPDE instructor at COTA and some other tracks in TX with NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA and a few other orgs. I also have a W2W and TT license with a few orgs. Was just curious if the BMW 2 day school got some kind of nationally recognized race licensing but it sounds like the answer is a definite no.

I have a 1 day M school voucher at either location but I don't think I will have time to use it, letting it go for $1,200 instead of the 1,500 price if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:
I'm already a HPDE instructor at COTA and some other tracks in TX with NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA and a few other orgs. I also have a W2W and TT license with a few orgs. Was just curious if the BMW 2 day school got some kind of nationally recognized race licensing but it sounds like the answer is a definite no.

I have a 1 day M school voucher at either location but I don't think I will have time to use it, letting it go for $1,200 instead of the 1,500 price if anyone is interested.
Well considering with the BMW CCA discount the price is 1275, not much of a deal
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #10
TexasSurgeon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Black F82

Garage List
2001 BMW e46 325i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Just finished the 2 day M school in Spartanburg SC and had a great time.

School:

We had 16 people total, 3 groups with 6/5/5. I convinced my buddy Justin who recently picked up an M5C to do the school (track experience = best mod for the money) and they keep you together throughout.

Cars were M5, M4, and M2C

Cost - relative to your situation and if you had previous track experience. I thing you get more value out of the program if you have atleast 3-4 HPDE's so you are comfortable at speed and can focus on small details from instructors. My buddy had no experience and complained of cramped hands and left leg pain from squeezing the steering wheel so tight and pressing the dead pedal through the floor.

First day we had rain in the morning and it didnt dry out till around 2:30 that afternoon, so that helped get some wet time in all three cars.

M5 - this car is a boat, a speed boat that is. Basically anytime you pressed the throttle you had traction so it corrected alot of mistakes folks had with bad lines and accelerating too early (well before track out). The instructors said it holds the track record now including the short track we used the M2c on. Their theory is its launch is so fast that it gives it about .5 second advantage over the M2C on the short track (low 19 sec is M5 record/high 19 sec is M2C rec..dont recall exact time). The M5 and M4s had CCB and they were amazing. No brake fade and abused all day, everyday, until around 6 months when the tech said they usually need replaced. If you have an M5 without CCB and plan on tracking, you will need new brakes very quickly.

M4 - had CCBs, enough about that

M2C - I have an 18 M2 LCI with several track days at Harris Hill, a shorter track with some similar style turns from bmw's track. If I'm totally objective I think M2C is ever so slightly better than my LCI for a few reasons. They had the larger brake package and seemed to hold up very well given they had only a few minutes to cool down between groups beating on them. The sound goes to LCI with my fabspeed DP and ASD removed. At track out, Comp did feel slightly quicker then my LCI (emphasis on slight). Instructors indicated they notice slight acceleration improvement in the comp when on the longer track too. The M mirrors are noticeable and i'll have to get that 'fixed' on my LCI. The seats look better but IMO dont feel any different at speed. The wheels look terrible in pictures and good in person. If someone is debating on selling an OG M2 for Comp, they have too much money. For anyone else, save your OG and get an M2 with an S58 in a few years. Better yet, save it and get to a track, you'll easily erase any advantage a comp has with experience.

Other school notes: Instructors where great, especially Laura who put our specific school together. We had a good mix of activities and appropriate down time by way of fun drift type of events after several at speed track sessions. Looking forward to a Ring school in a few years.
Nice write-up.

Thanks for the feedback

Also hoping to get there one day!