BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Seating position causing back problem?

03-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Seating position causing back problem?

Yes, part of this is being old, but I've experimented many different seating position through out the owner ship of my M2, and I just cannot find one that feels comfortable especially for a road trip. I've developed chronic back pain almost every time I drive for an extended period of time in the M2. For whatever reason, it always goes back to the many reviews that pointed out the seats being rotated. I didn't want to believe it was the car but whenever I drove my wife's car, I never have a problem. Drove the M2 to trade for a Quadrifoglio yesterday, backache getting out of the M2, and no problem what so ever coming out of the Alfa even with the optional bucket seats. I just can't figure it out. This is not a knock on the car, I've enjoyed this car tremendously, just wondering if I'm the only one who couldn't find a comfortable seating position.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I am in my 70s and have taken my M2 on two long road trips in the last year. I haven’t had a problem with back pain.

I did find out with earlier BMWs that if I didn’t take my wallet out of my back pocket, I would have back pain. So any drive over an hour I always take my wallet out of my pockets.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
KO764.50
      03-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I am in my 70s and have taken my M2 on two long road trips in the last year. I haven't had a problem with back pain.

I did find out with earlier BMWs that if I didn't take my wallet out of my back pocket, I would have back pain. So any drive over an hour I always take my wallet out of my pockets.
Great tip!

I never keep my card wallet in my back pocket for that very reason.

Even you're chiropractor will miss you because you're no longer needing adjustments.
      03-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I'm 32 and have been having lower back pain. I thought it was from a sleeping position, or from sitting at my desk too long, or staying in bed too long. It's the worst when getting out of bed... can hardly bend over. Bending over to touch my toes and I'd be like two feet away from them. I'd have to stand up at the bar, cause sitting would be too uncomfortable. Standing would help. I'd actually go to the bar with my laptop so I could stand while working haha. Started going to the gym everyday on the treadmill and (was stretching in the morning, but stopped doing it). My back's been better in the last two weeks, but I also haven't been driving the M2 either. Which was one of the things I thought might be contributing to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

No wallet, but the slightly rotated seat is always at the back of my mind. For whatever reason, my back always feels it's twisted and I'm constantly trying to find a position where my spine is aligned. Could totally be just me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I'm 32 and have been having lower back pain. I thought it was from a sleeping position, or from sitting at my desk too long, or staying in bed too long. It's the worst when getting out of bed... can hardly bend over. Bending over to touch my toes and I'd be like two feet away from them. I'd have to stand up at the bar, cause sitting would be too uncomfortable. Standing would help. I'd actually go to the bar with my laptop so I could stand while working haha. Started going to the gym everyday on the treadmill and (was stretching in the morning, but stopped doing it). My back's been better in the last two weeks, but I also haven't been driving the M2 either. Which was one of the things I thought might be contributing to it.
Its not the car. i had lower back problems on and off for years.. Know what fixed? Planks! Strengthen your core and it will get better..
XRAVE457.00
      03-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I agree sometimes is very uncomfortable
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #8
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Its not the car. i had lower back problems on and off for years.. Know what fixed? Planks! Strengthen your core and it will get better..
I dunno, I can lift (squat, Bench, Deadlift) more than the average person and my back still hurts sitting in the m2. For me I think its a fitment issue as it feels as if my legs are resting on the bolsters more so than the seat bottom.

In the two years I've had the m2, it seems to have gotten better, or my body has finally gotten used to it. That being said, long drives we take my wife's car, no issues in her non sporty merc suv.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #9
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Yes, part of this is being old, but I've experimented many different seating position through out the owner ship of my M2, and I just cannot find one that feels comfortable especially for a road trip. I've developed chronic back pain almost every time I drive for an extended period of time in the M2. For whatever reason, it always goes back to the many reviews that pointed out the seats being rotated. I didn't want to believe it was the car but whenever I drove my wife's car, I never have a problem. Drove the M2 to trade for a Quadrifoglio yesterday, backache getting out of the M2, and no problem what so ever coming out of the Alfa even with the optional bucket seats. I just can't figure it out. This is not a knock on the car, I've enjoyed this car tremendously, just wondering if I'm the only one who couldn't find a comfortable seating position.
I will like to add that I had big problem adjusting to Z4M's seat...it's stiff and you don't sink-in much. After a lot of tries I finally figured out that I needed a support on back of the shoulder, just below neck.
I found a $10 tiny neck cushion from Target to try it out and it worked perfectly. Now my seats are the best seats.

I thought I ll share this...you may not be getting proper support at certain point on your back.try adding a cushion at various points and see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #10
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
I'm sure core and glute muscle can use some work, but that doesn't explain why it's only the M2 that causes the problem for me. Again, everyone is different.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I too have some discomfort with the M2. I did take it on a long trip (about 7 hours total) when I was in the break-in period because I needed to put some miles on it, and I actually did pretty good. It's just when driving around town, usually within the first mile or two that my back says "hey, something's wrong here!". Adjusting the seat and lumbar doesn't make much difference.

I had no idea these seats were "twisted" or (I presume) not perfectly perpendicular to the controls. Hmmmm...
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #12
Jmm_22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

I developed back pain about 2 weeks after purchasing my M2. I'm in physical therapy now and it is getting better, but it seems to get worse after a long drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:12 AM   #13
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
I'm not getting back pain but I also think there is something that's not quite right with the driving position in the M2, or any 2 series coupe for that matter. I've tried adjusting the seat in every way possible but just can't seem to get it right and end up getting upper back and shoulder strain- for some reason the back part of the seat makes me hunch over?? I don't have this problem when driving my wife's F30
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:59 AM   #14
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

This Jaguar optimum seating instructional video might help:

Appreciate 2