BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > New M2C Steering Wheel Suggestion

03-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
Hingle Mccringleberry
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

New M2C Steering Wheel Suggestion

Hi all!
I haven't posted on this forum since I traded my 2013 128i a few years ago for the Porsche Cayman I mention below.

I recently ordered a MY2020 M2C, 6MT, LBB, Exec pack, with ED scheduled for 4/29/19.

I have been told by my SA that I need to completely finalize my build in the next week. I am planning to have some port installed options:

Side skirt winglets
CF rear spoiler
CF diffuser

The main thing I am torn on is whether or not to have the electronic MP steering wheel port installed or not...

If I am ever planning to have the electronic wheel I would like to have it installed at the port. The price for the port install is $2175. It seems a little more intense of a project with removal of some dash pieces than I want to undertake myself.

If I don't do the MP electronic version done, I plan to install the regular MP partial Alcantara wheel myself when I get the car home at a much cheaper price than the port install for the same part ($1470 port install price).

From the pictures I've seen of both, I kind of like the shape of the non-electronic version better, particularly with the flat bottom.

I'm coming from a 2016 981 Porsche Cayman GTS that I sold in October of '18, and always wished that that car had a shift light indicator of some sort bc I think it would have been really helpful on the track.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1588044

Here are some good thoughts from owners of the wheel. I myself opted to get the wheel port installed for various reasons. I was not a fan of the half Alcantara half leather, and the fact you have to buy the CF trim piece separately, adding to the cost of the wheel. Which is why I figured I was in the Electronic wheel price point by then, without the benefits.

I do like the shape of the non electric one better, but I've read on here by owners of that wheel, the top portion is uncomfortable to hold because it's not the same round shape as the other or standard wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
MIKE_M2C
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235, 20 M2C, 22 X5, 23 M3C

AFAIK, port installed option is not available through ED. Correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
Greg75
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C LBB DCT

Garage List
Really enjoying the electronic MP steering wheel installed about 2 weeks back. Recommend ordering it from Brian Keller at Sun Motors BMW. Best price and customer service I have found after much searching. Install is not so bad for DIY or available, if you look around or take to a dealer, for $250 - $450, depending. In that range, you will definitely save if you purchase from Brian/Sun.

Last edited by Greg75; 03-13-2019 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
Hingle Mccringleberry
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

My SA just got back to me today and said I can't get any of the port installed accessories in combination with European Delivery.

I was told initially I could, but I think he was just misinformed.
When I asked if they could honor the same price for dealer install as the port installed price, he said "we can get really close"

I'm a little disappointed to say the least...

Nonetheless, I'm going to forget about it, enjoy the hell out of the ED experience, save some money up front, and then maybe add on the stuff I want a few months after delivery!
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1588044

I do like the shape of the non electric one better, but I've read on here by owners of that wheel, the top portion is uncomfortable to hold because it's not the same round shape as the other or standard wheels.
I'll chime in as I owned the V2 wheel. I really liked the look of it, but indeed, the stylish form of the top creates a ridge which is particularly uncomfortable when driving with one hand on the top of the wheel as one would do when driving a manual car. I got a V1 for my new comp and it is great and much more comfortable. I love the feel of Alcantara and it is simply a normal wheel wrapped in Alcantara with a ring on the top. I shifted all of my interior trim to polished carbon, so I chose the M4 trim piece for the wheel.

Appreciate 5
mtechnik3415.00
Jarran10.50
DaFish153.50
qnet676.00
      03-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
I'll chime in as I owned the V2 wheel. I really liked the look of it, but indeed, the stylish form of the top creates a ridge which is particularly uncomfortable when driving with one hand on the top of the wheel as one would do when driving a manual car. I got a V1 for my new comp and it is great and much more comfortable. I love the feel of Alcantara and it is simply a normal wheel wrapped in Alcantara with a ring on the top. I shifted all of my interior trim to polished carbon, so I chose the M4 trim piece for the wheel.

Woah where did you get the interior polished carbon?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

I'm looking at the M4 GTS wheel.
      03-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
FractalFootwork
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, X3 M40i

Garage List
I highly recommend DIY installing if you have the time. I installed the V2 steering wheel, and it was easy, a lot of fun (if you like tinkering on stuff like me), and best of all FREE! I was most worried about messing with the airbag, but you just unclip a wiring harness after having the battery disabled and it pops right out. I like the look of the V2, but might have jumped on that all alcantara GTS style wheel if I had seen it sooner. It's been a while since I touched the original wheel, but I think the V2 might be a bit thicker in places.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
nioh_lbbm21716.50
qnet676.00
Davil6333.50
DaFish153.50
      03-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #10
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FractalFootwork View Post
I highly recommend DIY installing if you have the time. I installed the V2 steering wheel, and it was easy, a lot of fun (if you like tinkering on stuff like me), and best of all FREE! I was most worried about messing with the airbag, but you just unclip a wiring harness after having the battery disabled and it pops right out. I like the look of the V2, but might have jumped on that all alcantara GTS style wheel if I had seen it sooner. It's been a while since I touched the original wheel, but I think the V2 might be a bit thicker in places.
That is a beautiful interior with the polar blue accents and dry carbon fiber wheel trim. Should have came like this from the factory!
Appreciate 1
qnet676.00
      03-10-2019, 11:49 PM   #11
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FractalFootwork View Post
Yes I will definitely DIY it. It doesn’t not seem hard at all.

I heard you have to fully then to the left and right to clear some errors on start up. Did you get any error messages after installing?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:11 AM   #12
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post

I heard you have to fully then to the left and right to clear some errors on start up. Did you get any error messages after installing?
Error messages go away after a couple hundred feet. You don’t need to turn the wheel. The only trick is that there are a lot of wires in the wheel and you need to take the wheel completely apart. Just take pics before taking it apart.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:12 AM   #13
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protatomonster View Post
Woah where did you get the interior polished carbon?
Dinmann carbon! Tell him I sent you for a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #14
FractalFootwork
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post

I didn't receive any errors.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 03:38 AM   #15
FA/CH
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 comp

the CS Steering wheel installation

Quote:

i get so happy when i see people on this forum sharing knowledge.
i have a confusing question to ask, since the delaer was telling me it doesnt fot although it seems weird.
i have a BMW M2C 2020 with the standard leather Steering wheel, for a while now i have been checking the CS steering alcantara wheel that comes on the m4 CS as optional ( if no one knows it, it looks a bit like the GTS steering wheel but a vitter fattier) find the link from BMW parts Pro , and this item is listed only in the BMW M2 LCI M performance items to buy .

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D

what i would want to know, is there a difference in "flange " as the reseller said between all the steering wheels of all the M2C, M3, M4 and M4 GTS ?
it feels a bit weird to go change smthn that fits all just saying. i am afraid he just answered like that because its not his field.

can anyone help, and tell me if i can install this steering wheel on my DCT M2C ? for sure i will have to remove all the parts from the current one and put it on the second one.

thank you .
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 06:35 AM   #16
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FA/CH View Post
i get so happy when i see people on this forum sharing knowledge.
i have a confusing question to ask, since the delaer was telling me it doesnt fot although it seems weird.
i have a BMW M2C 2020 with the standard leather Steering wheel, for a while now i have been checking the CS steering alcantara wheel that comes on the m4 CS as optional ( if no one knows it, it looks a bit like the GTS steering wheel but a vitter fattier) find the link from BMW parts Pro , and this item is listed only in the BMW M2 LCI M performance items to buy .

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D

what i would want to know, is there a difference in "flange " as the reseller said between all the steering wheels of all the M2C, M3, M4 and M4 GTS ?
it feels a bit weird to go change smthn that fits all just saying. i am afraid he just answered like that because its not his field.

can anyone help, and tell me if i can install this steering wheel on my DCT M2C ? for sure i will have to remove all the parts from the current one and put it on the second one.

thank you .
M2, M3, M4 all the the same steering rack, therefore all the steering wheels are interchangeable, so yes you can fit a M3/M4 CS wheel onto your M2C. However the DCT versions have two holes pre-drilled for the paddles, where as the manuals do not... So when ordering, I would suggest specifying that you have DCT, otherwise you might have to drill the holes yourself, which isn't too difficult as some people have already done before. Also Brian @ Sun Motors has the best prices. I highly suggest ordering from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #17
SFM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Performance

Quote:

running same blue stripe V1. got driving gloves for alcantara, more for grip than for maintenance. but i hear maintenance is a thing.
Appreciate 0