Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
It's normal for a MT - take it back into 2nd then forward into 1st, or re-engage the clutch and try again.

Basically the cogs aren't lined up, so won't engage.
aye to this. Even my mazda3 does this sometime, especially when cold.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:11 AM   #46
nnj3jnn
Rep
Drives: m2c

Update on the the situation, I did schedule a appointment and brought it in, they said the problems needs to be recreated for them to diagnose it which is hard to do because its quite random. Told me not to worry since there is so much warranty......

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...nto-first-gear
pretty much exactly the same issue here ^

also someone in the forums also mentioned depressing the clutch slowly did seem to pop out whatever was blocking me from going into first. From that page sounds like a syncho issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #47
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

As others have said it just sounds like a synchro issue. My e92 335 was so bad for it. I used to get so flustered when the light would turn green and I couldn’t get into first! Sometimes I had to go 2 then 1. Other times I had to push the clutch in a few times before it would engage. I’d still press the dealer about it if it’s happening to you often on such a new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #48
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I've also experienced this in many cars before. Sometimes what also works is a quick tap on the gas pedal just before putting into first when I do that, whatever is blocking it goes away...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:19 PM   #49
Carralanmc2
Rep
Drives: 2020BMW f87 mc2, 2002 e46 330c

M2C manual 1st gear issues

Same problem. My F87 w/8K miles had difficulty finding 1st gear at the stop light. I too would shift into 2nd, then up to 1st to overcome the problem, but that didn't always work. I also--having had a manual in my 530i for 12 yrs., pumped the clutch pedal several times thinking it might have air. That too worked on occasion. But, I finally took it into BMW and within a day of testing I was told that a new transmission's on order. Not want I wanted to hear and not what I want done to my new M2C.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 12:35 AM   #50
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carralanmc2 View Post
Same problem. My F87 w/8K miles had difficulty finding 1st gear at the stop light. I too would shift into 2nd, then up to 1st to overcome the problem, but that didn't always work. I also--having had a manual in my 530i for 12 yrs., pumped the clutch pedal several times thinking it might have air. That too worked on occasion. But, I finally took it into BMW and within a day of testing I was told that a new transmission's on order. Not want I wanted to hear and not what I want done to my new M2C.
Did you get it back yet? Curious if it resolved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:34 AM   #51
nnj3jnn
Rep
Drives: m2c

Hey, when I brought it to bmw they couldn't replicate the issue so didn't really do much. They said if I wanted to leave it there for a week of driving and they see it happen they can diagnose it but without a error etc little they could do.
Since then I've rarely experienced it but when I did experience it a simple neutral and release of the clutch fixed it. Try giving that shot? I've never had it happen to me since then and the 1 or 2 times it happend i did that and it resolved itself. BMW did say it sounded like a synchro problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #52
Carralanmc2
Rep

It took 3-wks for the new transmission to arrive from Germany. I dropped the M2C off at the Dealer Thurs, and expect it back Friday (8/28). I'll follow-up with a report as to how it works. But, my Dealer too asked for a week to replicate problem, advising they then open a "case" and let BMW NA decide next step. I hesitated, then decided to drop the car off. And, as I wrote earlier, within half-day was told they ordered the new transmission. My read is that there are enough confirmed cases that BMW NA have decided to push these repairs thru.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #53
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
It took 3-wks for the new transmission to arrive from Germany. I dropped the M2C off at the Dealer Thurs, and expect it back Friday (8/28). I'll follow-up with a report as to how it works. But, my Dealer too asked for a week to replicate problem, advising they then open a "case" and let BMW NA decide next step. I hesitated, then decided to drop the car off. And, as I wrote earlier, within half-day was told they ordered the new transmission. My read is that there are enough confirmed cases that BMW NA have decided to push these repairs thru.
This is a very common issue with lots of other cars and not only M2C and its ridiculous they ordered a new transmission for this issue
BlkSVT388.50
      08-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #54
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
This is a very common issue with lots of other cars and not only M2C and its ridiculous they ordered a new transmission for this issue
Nissan replaced the transmission on my 350z when it was 4 and a half years old (five year drivetrain warranty) because I told them it ground going into second a couple of times (over four and a half years.) they could not replicate the issue, but suggested doing the work anyway since my warranty was almost up at the time. I don’t pretend to know how that stuff works behind the scenes, but I was totally prepared for them to blow me off. The lesson I leaned was that it never hurts to mention things if your car is under warranty.

That Nissan dealership was the best.
Appreciate 3
Poochie9103.00
chris7197324.00
Kankles1484.50
      08-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #55
s1k0ne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ..

Anybody got a work order they can post up?
F30 6MT 335i - EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:41 PM   #56
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnj3jnn View Post
Hey everyone! I'm a brand new owner of a m2c 6mt here in canada and got a question. I'm halfway passed the break in period and one thing got me worried, sometimes the the transmission refuses to go into first gear from neutral. Like it happens about 1 to 3 times a week, usually happens at a red light I go into neutral and when im ready i clutch all the way try to pop into first but something is blocking it, most of the time if i pop into 2nd and then ill be able to go into first. However one time it refused to go into first no matter what i did
i even restarted the car ended up having to launch in 2nd gear held up traffic which was embarrassing.

Little history I'm by no means a pro racer but having driven many manual cars before mr2 turbo/s2000 never encountered this issue before so i doubt its my driving abilities. Should I be worried? its brand new car so warranty will cover everything, unless they say I mishifted and grinded the gears which I know I did not do. The m2c also had 127 km when I purchased it so it did get test driven or whatever for 37km cause i think new cars usually have 90km on odometer. Hopefully someone can ease my worries! thanks
So I just did the three day skip barber school said always go from second into first.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #57
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw View Post
So I just did the three day skip barber school said always go from second into first.
That usually works and is what I do out of habit, but there is some line between acceptable quirks for a MT and defective. If you can't go from neutral at a stop into 1st often I would lean towards it being a defect.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #58
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw View Post
That usually works and is what I do out of habit, but there is some line between acceptable quirks for a MT and defective. If you can't go from neutral at a stop into 1st often I would lean towards it being a defect.
I guess you can take it to the dealer Since it covered under warranty but I have a feeling they will keep the car for a couple of days and tell you they can't replicate the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 12:00 AM   #59
Carralanmc2
Rep

M2C manual 1st gear issues

BMW completed the R&R of my M6 transmission. The replacement—now 2100 miles old—works perfect. Never a problem going into first. And, yes, I usually put it in either 2nd or 4th before attempting 1st gear, at the stoplight. The Dealer’s foreman explained that when checking the fluid on the suspect transmission they found metal shavings. That’s what decided the replacement strategy. Upon receiving my car back from the shop BMW required a repeat of the first phase of the M break-in (1800 miles) and then back for service. Although it was inconvenient, I am glad I reported the issue and happy with BMW’s support.
Appreciate 3
Moflow2484.50
ADDONE230.00
chris7197324.00
      10-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #60
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
BMW completed the R&R of my M6 transmission. The replacement—now 2100 miles old—works perfect. Never a problem going into first. And, yes, I usually put it in either 2nd or 4th before attempting 1st gear, at the stoplight. The Dealer’s foreman explained that when checking the fluid on the suspect transmission they found metal shavings. That’s what decided the replacement strategy. Upon receiving my car back from the shop BMW required a repeat of the first phase of the M break-in (1800 miles) and then back for service. Although it was inconvenient, I am glad I reported the issue and happy with BMW’s support.
Curious as to why they asked you to bring it back in for service when from my understanding they do not change the transmission fluid at the break in service?
I do understand taking it easy on the tranny when brand new to help it break in, but not the repeated break in service.

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #61
Carralanmc2
Rep

M2C manual 1st hear issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
Curious as to why they asked you to bring it back in for service when from my understanding they do not change the transmission fluid at the break in service?
I do understand taking it easy on the tranny when brand new to help it break in, but not the repeated break in service.
I just assumed that they would replace the fluid when I returned, but you got me to thinking. I just re-read the Invoice and it reads, “Screw Plug, 2 23-12-7-602-815 65,” and MTF “LT 5, 2 83-22-2-239-654-08,” all under the heading, “11 Engine Minor.” So, it looks like the fluid was changed and right at 1200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #62
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

I have this exact issue with my 17 M2. I'm taking it into the dealer for them to check it out (Along with an alignment after a M performance suspension install). It's strange because I've had the hard to engage first before when it was a dragging clutch. This is NOT what this is. Sometimes it seems to go in, but only 3/4 of the way. If you aren't paying attention, then when you engage the clutch, it pops out of gear. It will easily go in if the car is slightly moving, but if it's dead stopped, that's when it's an issue.
I've been driving BMW M cars for many many years and this is a first for me. I'll let you all know what happens.
      02-01-2021, 06:24 PM   #63
s1k0ne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel911 View Post
I have this exact issue with my 17 M2. I'm taking it into the dealer for them to check it out (Along with an alignment after a M performance suspension install). It's strange because I've had the hard to engage first before when it was a dragging clutch. This is NOT what this is. Sometimes it seems to go in, but only 3/4 of the way. If you aren't paying attention, then when you engage the clutch, it pops out of gear. It will easily go in if the car is slightly moving, but if it's dead stopped, that's when it's an issue.
I've been driving BMW M cars for many many years and this is a first for me. I'll let you all know what happens.
if you can provide a work order that would be awesome
F30 6MT 335i - EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #64
yuriydee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel911 View Post
This is EXACTLY the same thing that happens to me as well.
I didnt have time to take it to dealer yet though. I assume they would want to replicate the issue but it happens so randomly.... Im also curious what your dealer will say.

Ive slowly gotten used to going down to second then back up to first when im a stoplight now and that prevents it from happening.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:40 AM   #65
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Glad I got the DCT. I dont need all this engagement while driving, lol
I would spill my coffe taking it in and out of first at lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #66
chris719
Major General
Rep

Between this hard-to-diagnose stuff and people money shifting, you can see why BMW and dealers are probably not upset over the near-disappearance of the MT.

Would be nice if, for once, BMW could spec a MT in an M car that doesn't have weird issues.
Appreciate 0