BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Considering a Z06 instead of an M2 Competition

06-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #23
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

C7 Z06 prone to overheating at track.

There are multiple class action lawsuits.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #24
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Isn't it funny how different things are when you actually DRIVE the other cars? Just like it completely changes again after a few months of ownership. You can see why journalists and stats cannot really be taken at face value. In general I'd love to have Z06 as a third car. Just a matter of garage space, and a debate between that and the GT500.
      07-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #25
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Would love a Z06 but in Canada the price range is way different! 65-70K vs 115-130K
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #26
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
For me, the big draw of the M2 is that it's a very capable, small-ish, RWD, manual transmission sports car with (small) rear seats in the $60k range. There's simply nothing else out there in that category.
ATS-V
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #27
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDog07V View Post
Quote:
For me, the big draw of the M2 is that it's a very capable, small-ish, RWD, manual transmission sports car with (small) rear seats in the $60k range. There's simply nothing else out there in that category.
ATS-V
Not until they fix CUE. That shit is bonkers.
      07-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #28
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
ATS-V
Not until they fix CUE. That shit is bonkers.
Lol, yea CUE is garbage, it's gotten a bit faster but thankfully they all have Apple CarPlay so you never even need CUE
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #29
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Get the Z06 unless you're gonna track cause they overheat unless you do aftermarket cooling packages. Z06 is superior as a performance car.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #30
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges. Those two cars are totally different. A few days at the track shouldn’t influence your overall decision. The M2C is a daily with a fun side. The Vette is difficult to drive as a daily. Your back/knees will eventually hate getting in and out of that car. And like previous poster said, no back seat and almost no trunk/storage space.

It really depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Choose wisely my friend.
LOL have you ever seen the trunk/cargo area of a vette? They are HUGE, you can fit a full size adult in there no problem. C7 Vette has 15 cubic feet, 2 series has 13.8 feet.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      07-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #31
rockit2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 N55

Quote:
ATS-V
I thought about it, its a great car I love the titanium rods and the alpha chassis has countless praise on the interweb. I have found 16"s in the high 30"s and clean low miliage ones for low 40"s . The truth is that there are so many very good cars that I am sure are more car than I can handle and or need . For my next purchase I wanted to make it special without spending 100k , A ATS-V coupe with the 8speed and some mods would be a fun car but for 20k more I get a brand new M2 . 1st world problems for sure but I have worked the past 25 years to get here so its my deal and am looking forward to getting something in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #32
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

You are not comparing Camaro SS to M2C here. Vette is a different league. If you are considering Z06, haha there should no second thought.

It is quite surprising that Z06 is that cheap in US. Here in Canadan they are priced way different away from M2/M2C. You are looking at fully specked M3/M4 with CCB and ultimate package to price compare with well equipped Z06.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2018, 12:45 AM   #33
SCM2016
SCM2016
Rep
Drives: M2C 2019

I'm lucky enough to have a Corvette C7 Z06 M7 and it is a great weekend car and it is fantastic on a track. The HP, torque, magnetic ride control, performance data recorder and all of the technology built into it are amazing. It is also pretty comfortable to drive around town and on longer trips.

I also have a M2C manual on order for what I hope will be a really fun car that is practical enough to be my year round daily driver. I also plan to try it out on a track and expect I will find it to be a lot of fun there as well. I don't really need a back seat, but I will like the interior space and visibility of the M2. It will not be as fast, but it might be nearly as fun as the Z06 on a track.

If I only had one car to drive both daily and as a weekend toy I would choose the M2. If I was looking for a toy for only weekends and the track I did choose the Z06. It is largely a matter of personal taste, preferences and how you want to use the car. Great cars to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 02:55 AM   #34
aftercompletion
Break My Window
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Track/weekend use this isn't really even a question and it's strange to be cross-shopping the Z06 with the M2. Z06 is in another league.

M2 blows away the Z06 as a DD though; comfort, practicality, optics, etc. I'd honestly rather drive a civic than daily drive a corvette and have to deal with the "Corvette Guy" stigma which is totally a real thing.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #35
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

I am in my 50's and have owned more Corvette's then any other car. My last Corvette was a 2014 C7 Z51 before I transitioned to my current F80. You can easily daily drive a C7 Corvette. Everyone has different levels of comfort. The rear hatch of the C7 can carry anything you can put in the trunk of a M2. The only negative I found looking at 2018 and 2019 C7's was the panel alignment of the car. Three C7's (2 Z06's and 1 GS) had panel alignment issues: rear hatch was higher on the driver side then the passenger side, front fender on the passenger side was not aligned with the passenger side door, and the rear bumper where is meets the rear quarter panel was not aligned.

In the upcoming months my wife wants a new vehicle and we are looking at the 2019 M2 for the wife, we are also looking at a C7 Grand Sport, Cayman S / GTS, and Audi RS5. I know they are all different cars and will never be tracked.

The overheating seems to be fixed on the 2018 Z06 model but there is class action law suits for the problem.

Since the vehicle will be a weekend driver / track vehicle I would go with the Z06 with the Z07 package. Or better yet consider the Grand Sport with the Z07 package.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #36
GHarris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I have had a 2017 M2 and 2-Z06's. I enjoyed the BMW but liked the Vette better. Agreed they are different cars and it's probably not fair to compare them.
Something about 650hp that is addicting
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #37
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
I am in my 50's and have owned more Corvette's then any other car. My last Corvette was a 2014 C7 Z51 before I transitioned to my current F80. You can easily daily drive a C7 Corvette. Everyone has different levels of comfort. The rear hatch of the C7 can carry anything you can put in the trunk of a M2. The only negative I found looking at 2018 and 2019 C7's was the panel alignment of the car. Three C7's (2 Z06's and 1 GS) had panel alignment issues: rear hatch was higher on the driver side then the passenger side, front fender on the passenger side was not aligned with the passenger side door, and the rear bumper where is meets the rear quarter panel was not aligned.

In the upcoming months my wife wants a new vehicle and we are looking at the 2019 M2 for the wife, we are also looking at a C7 Grand Sport, Cayman S / GTS, and Audi RS5. I know they are all different cars and will never be tracked.

The overheating seems to be fixed on the 2018 Z06 model but there is class action law suits for the problem.

Since the vehicle will be a weekend driver / track vehicle I would go with the Z06 with the Z07 package. Or better yet consider the Grand Sport with the Z07 package.

Police officer driving Vette and F80. That is cool

Panel alignment is just general problem for all US car makers. Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, Cadillac, Lincoln, you name it there are all there.
US makers indeed have caught up performance level in production cars along with European car. Not just straight line performance but also handling and cornering.
However, they are still behind in refinement. But they are cheaper $/ hp.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #38
rockit2
Private
Rep

ok I just contacted my sales rep at my BMW dealer to get a quote on what this car will cost exactly . My spec is
6mt
org metallic with org stitiching
executive pkg
black wheels

let see how hard they hit me
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #39
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I would imagine a C7 Grand Sport would still be faster than an M2C on the track. Weight advantage. I believe Kerbeck out of Atlantic City is selling 2019 C7 Grand Sport 1LT for a bit under $60,000.

Corvette will probably be my next track car. I DD a work car, but we also have a 2014 335i and 2016 X3 35i. Eventually I would like to either get an M340i or M3 and an SUV capable of pulling a trailer/track car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #40
rockit2
Private
Rep

well I thought hard about this and placed my order with my BMW dealer last night. I tried to find a good picture of the sunset orange and decided to go with the hockenheim silver instead . I really like the c7 but at the end of the day I am not a pro driver and a M2C with some Dinan goodies I am sure will kick my a%s. So the M2c offers a brand new car vs a used vette. The m2c is also a bit more exclusive c7 vetts are everywhere. But the main reason I feel is that it will just make a better street car as far as practicality. I also like that it is low key compared to the C7 I will blend in as just another bimmer and I like that as being the center of attention with a yellow Zo6 makes me feel uncomfortable . I feel I made the right decision for my self. Now the price, I got it for MSRP not a penny less or a penny more plus dealer fee and tax/tag so I am ok with that as in south Florida everyone wants over msrp so my dealer I feel did ok . build below

Hockenheim silver w-blue stiching
Zep package
black wheels

the only other options are sunroof and DCT I believe which I rather have the 6mt and am open to the roof but feel it is not worth to pay 1k for adding weight to the roof of the car and taking away headroom but that is just me. I wanted 6mt to enjoy it while it lasts as maybe in the future it might not exist anymore and besides 3k for it is a bit much again in my opinion but I am aware it is an excellent trans. Does anyone have a suggestion to the auto or roof ? for resale or fun factor please post up
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #41
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
With options they can get over $100k, almost double a base M2, so whats your point?

Buy the Vette if you are looking for the performance and a 2 seater is fine with you.
Lets be honest here. The M2 rear seats are basically in name only. Unless you are 5 feet tall and have the front seats forward all the way only very small children can fit in the back.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      07-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #42
Madvillain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lada

z06 end of discussion. wayyyyyyy faster straight line and circuit, sounds better, has better interior, is most liekly more fun to drive(judging by m2 and m4) and pop roof off for a whole other experience. get the z06 trust you wont regret it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #43
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit2 View Post
well I thought hard about this and placed my order with my BMW dealer last night. I tried to find a good picture of the sunset orange and decided to go with the hockenheim silver instead . I really like the c7 but at the end of the day I am not a pro driver and a M2C with some Dinan goodies I am sure will kick my a%s. So the M2c offers a brand new car vs a used vette. The m2c is also a bit more exclusive c7 vetts are everywhere. But the main reason I feel is that it will just make a better street car as far as practicality. I also like that it is low key compared to the C7 I will blend in as just another bimmer and I like that as being the center of attention with a yellow Zo6 makes me feel uncomfortable . I feel I made the right decision for my self. Now the price, I got it for MSRP not a penny less or a penny more plus dealer fee and tax/tag so I am ok with that as in south Florida everyone wants over msrp so my dealer I feel did ok . build below

Hockenheim silver w-blue stiching
Zep package
black wheels

the only other options are sunroof and DCT I believe which I rather have the 6mt and am open to the roof but feel it is not worth to pay 1k for adding weight to the roof of the car and taking away headroom but that is just me. I wanted 6mt to enjoy it while it lasts as maybe in the future it might not exist anymore and besides 3k for it is a bit much again in my opinion but I am aware it is an excellent trans. Does anyone have a suggestion to the auto or roof ? for resale or fun factor please post up
Congrats!

Personally I'll never own another vehicle with a sunroof again. I used it a few times when the car was new and never touched it after that. It also takes some of the headroom out of the car.

One more thing I noticed about the M2...... I live in a city of about 120k people. Corvettes are a dime a dozen, they're everywhere. I've yet to see another M2 which I think is kind of neat.

My daily driver is a 3 pedal car. I get plenty of shifting so I opted for the dual clutch automatic. If you want to shift it, the paddle shifters are the way to go. I love how it rev matches when downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #44
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

If I didn’t need a backseat I’d definitely take the C7. I drove one for 2 weeks and it was simply superb. Easy to drive daily, no issues getting in or out, the targa roof is fantastic, and it simply looks gorgeous.

Interestingly enough, I would wager the vette has a bigger boot than the M2. I managed to fit 2 large Samsonite cases (about 80cm) and 2 smaller carry-ons in the Vette, as we were on holiday. The M2 I’d have to put the rear seats down to even attempt the same load.
Appreciate 0