BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > New M2 vs Used c63 507

04-04-2018, 12:52 AM   #23
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Just test drove a 2014 c63 507, and knew as soon as I got a half mile down the road that it wasn't for me.

The steering was numb and completely disconnected. The M2 is exactly the opposite.

The M2 is nimble and a joy to drive. The C63's engine is a joy, but as a car it's not really a joy as a package.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #24
Peasley
General Moron
England
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI MT & E30 Drift Slag

I sold my C63 507 estate a few weeks ago due to the milage and the fact it was out of warranty. Absolutely loved it. The engine is a masterpiece and once the exhaust has been fettled sounds outrageous. The gearbox on the other hand was slow and sluggish and constantly annoyed me.

The M2 that has replaced it puts just as big a smile on my face but for different reasons. Not so much the noise and drama but the driving feel and chuckability. Both are great cars so you can't really go wrong.

P.S Ignore Bieber as best you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #25
quduoheng
Rep
Drives: q70L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasley View Post
I sold my C63 507 estate a few weeks ago due to the milage and the fact it was out of warranty. Absolutely loved it. The engine is a masterpiece and once the exhaust has been fettled sounds outrageous. The gearbox on the other hand was slow and sluggish and constantly annoyed me.

The M2 that has replaced it puts just as big a smile on my face but for different reasons. Not so much the noise and drama but the driving feel and chuckability. Both are great cars so you can't really go wrong.

P.S Ignore Bieber as best you can.
Nice driving. I will try to get a good deal on the C63, otherwise I will collect the M2CS in the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #26
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

There are other factors to consider besides what people are saying.

The "fun" factor. People define fun in all different ways, for some people big wings and a body kit is "fun", so I'll leave that open ended. But I'll comment on the fun from a drivers perspective.

The m2 while a great package still has the newer generation electric steering. It's accurate as hell. It's also very tight and responsive in steering and you can place it within millimeters of where you want the car to be. With that said because of the lack of feedback in feeling where the chassis is and what the weight of the car is doing it's not as engaging and it's actually less fun and sometimes no fun. You are going fast but not enjoying it all that much.

The c63 is on the other hand pretty inaccurate in it's steering. If you are driving slowly it's actually a very loose steering wheel as well. It also rotates pretty fast and freely which if you are coming from a BMW is strange and not appealing. But when you are driving enthusiastically it suddenly hones in and tells you exactly what the car is doing. It becomes almost telepathic. And damn that's when the car becomes way more fun then the m2.

Depending on your commute and traffic situations it can be a real benefit because in heavy traffic when you want to zone out, the relaxed nature of the steering wheel can be a real stress relief since it doesn't need much input. But when you are out on a weekend it will transform into one of the best parts of the car. I think it's the best of both worlds after you get used to it.

As far as the engine of course there is no comparison to that v8 when it is in higher rpm. An engineering marvel.

In the corners the m2 simply feels lighter and smaller and the c63 will always "feel big" in the corners, that's mostly due to weight transfers. So if you like to zip around with a lot of lane changes or goto short auto crosses then the m2 is far superior. Don't get me wrong the c63 will get the job done in both scenarios, possibly at the same pace, but it will just feel a whole lot larger which can take the fun out of those two scenarios.

If you put coilovers onto the 507 you will basically have a black series (translation: do it). The coilovers are actually more comfortable then standard c63 suspension and improve handling a lot.

There also a few other factors.

The big v8 is an absolute engineering masterpiece at mid and high rpm. At low rpm it shakes and sounds rough. If you are used to refined BMW engines, the c63 will sound very rough and almost broken when you are standing outside next to your car. The exhaust is very loud. Even when you are trying to drive calmly people will know you are coming.

The c63 will rattle. It will rattle a lot. While people complain about m2 squeaks and rattles here there is no comparison. The c63 makes much more noise and from a new place everyday, when a new rattle comes the old one goes away. It's crazy.

When you combine all these factors the c63 will simply feel "old" compared to the m2 which feels very "new" to me. But when all is said and done the superior joys from behind the wheel of the c63 (I think I'm constantly smiling) and the ability to also be very relaxed when I want it to be, override everything else.

If the things I listed as positives aren't appealing to you then think very carefully about the c63, as the negatives can become overwhelming over time.

I generally keep cars for a long time, but with every car a day comes where you think about the next one. With the c63 it's been 6 years now and the mileage is now high but I simply dread having to turn this car in one day, I just can't think of a car that I would want more, it's a car that you can really bond with. No one else will understand, and the gas station attendant will think there is something very wrong with you.
      07-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #27
murderspice
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Now that 6.2 c63s have depreciated a bit, what are your opinions now?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 06:44 PM   #28
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Those of you saying a 507 is no more special than a base c63, I'd respectfully disagree. 507 has the same engine as the black series which was also shared with the sls black. It has forged pistons and connecting rods and a lightweight crankshaft. Also, for a NA, it offers 450 tq/507hp out the box which is pretty remarkable imo. I agree though the transmission is significantly lacking compared to the bimmer dct. Headers with full exhaust and tune will easily add 30 tq. While it has no where near the same ceiling as the s55 I'd say it's still pretty good. I actually tried to find a clean 507 before I sold my f82 and didn't come across anything good. I ultimately ended up buying a m2cs
Appreciate 0