06-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #45
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by $M2 View Post
I have resisted responding to this thread but I have to chime in. I've held out long enough.

First, let me say I am biased to the Ford and Shelby brands.

Having worked for Shelby for 5 years, involved in from 2008-20014, I have been able to witness, confer on development and production decisions and participate in testing of some pretty awesome products.

That said, there is nothing that can compare, US-developed, with German engineering. Not at the same pricepoints. I have owned and E-46 M3, 2003 Boxster S, 2013 Boxster S and 2007, 2012 and a current 2016 Shelby.

I have just sold the 2016 Shelby GT350, Track Pack and have a 2018 M2 in route to Baltimore. My experience is first hand.

The major fiasco was the marking of this car right out of the box. Class action suit is still in process. The release was 3 trims. Tech - for the cruiser/techster/ Track Pack - for the occasional track rat and R for the all-out track experience. That was clear but Marketing threw in the phrase " the most track-capable Mustang ever!"

You had the tech package and base cars participating in open track days and without the oil, trans and diff coolers going into limp mode within 2-3 laps. Depending upon a variety of factors. Since then, from 17 on, the track pack coolers are now standard.

Impressions

- The GT350 is an eyeful for everyone. The sound intoxicating. The mystique of the Final Shelby approved development will linger.
- The Recaro's while great to look at are not for long commutes or trips, especially for the passenger.
- The noise/harshness/vibration issues are all there with the flat plane crank. Vibrating shifter, severe trammeling, bits, and pieces buzzing on the interior.
- The fit and finish is the worse I have ever experienced in any of my prior Ford products.
- Rear fascia design issue included. The tailpipes are part of the rear fascia and not the exhaust leading to a very heavy rear fascia putting undue stress on the mounting points resulting in large gaps that are quite embarrassing. The approved fix is nothing short of a hack job. Read up about it. Long history.
- The 5.0 Coyote oil pump gear issue is more prevalent on the GT350 due to the nature of the crank and upped redline. Hense the blown engines. Not a major concern for the daily driver of an occasional garage queen.
- The oil/trans cooler line bursting and catching that GT350 on fire in PA resulted in a stop sell order until parts were available. Dealer cars were first repaired, customer cars last. Waited 5 months for parts and repair. All good now.
- Exhaust is magnificent.
- Interior fit and finish and materials subpar at best.

Current base on the no option GT350 is $58.235 the R $65,735 (heater/ac and radio delete)
There was a scheduled end to the GT350 production, initially, in 2018. With the later development of the GT500, they have added 2019, made some additional tweaks and expect the price to rise again on both configurations. There are many deals to be had on the GT350 base cars as the sense is that people who were on the fence are getting juiced up on the GT500 and put the brakes on their decision.

The R is a totally different game. Cal. Dreaming Dealers are still holding some 16"s at triple digits. There is an occasional MSRP deal out there but still rare and far and few. The used market seems to be holding the ADM pricing for the time being but I am seeing some weak spots beginning in the used market. The R is a totally different car. Not for everyone. Gearheads are in love with the R.

I had the opportunity to drive an M2 Black Shadow package vehicle 2 weeks ago on a whim. Through, not well maintained, city streets, highway and some back roads, I became fascinated by just how good that car was.

- None of the NHV issues I became used to.
- No trammeling
- Interior fit and finish was impressive. I knew that going in after the E46.
- Liked the delivery of power. I believe it is pretty well matched for the vehicle. It feels right.
- Exterior fit and finish above expectations.
- Seats were excellent with many adjustments. ( no adjustments on the Recaro GT350)
- Felt nimble. Not an overweight aged muscle car. I love muscle cars.

I'll know more as the delivery day arrives and become more acquainted with the M2 as I have 2 nice road trips planned.

In the end, I never have had high expectations of US produced vehicles regarding fit and finish. Always expect a recall. Always in for TSB's.

Being a man-made object, all vehicles will have some nit to pick. Just my expectations are a notch above when it comes to the M2. Ready to enjoy a long relationship of miles and adventure.

Love Carroll, miss him dearly. He's gone, his mystiques live on. Just not in the current day product. That ended 4 years ago.
Thanks for the extensive write up

You should follow up in a couple weeks and share your further thoughts with the new car once some of the shimmer has moved off

That is a very fair point about tramlining as its non existent in the M2. You really hit the nail on the American QC/Engineering flaws- something I can put up with in an old truck but will not lie to my self on a brand new vehicle. For better or for worse BMWs tight finish is now my standard for build quality.

My dad is finally getting his GT350R on Wednesday after a year of waiting (at MSRP thankfully), so i'll be back posting some of my thoughts contrasting the two in a bit
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 01:21 AM   #46
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

mWHO: Can't to read your thoughts/feedback.

I share your feelings completely on the M2, for the record. I haven't posted much since I bought mine one year ago (2018 LBB M2/6MT/MPE/Exec package).

I like it very much, but I'm not sure I feel/appreciate its soul.
OTOH, I drove my friend's Shelby GT350 before I had bought the M2, and while i owned a Camaro 2SS, and felt that his car may have been the first car in a long time to put a smile on my face in a child like, visceral way. There is something about that flat plane crank V8 that is other worldly special.
He loves his car after having come out of the previous GT500, and hasn't had any issues.

Still, I'm concerned about potential issues/quality control after reading this thread.
I'm seriously considering adding to--not replacing-- my truck and M2, with a Shelby GT350.
Unlike many others who can't wait for the supercharger on the upcoming GT500, I have no desire for that. I want the last NA flat plane crank engine ford will make, and this may be the year to have to pull the trigger.

My plan is to borrow my friend's car one more time and if it sings to me on an extended drive as it seemed to before, than I'm gong to do it.
Appreciate 0