BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 U.S. MSRP dream

10-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #23
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkF1 View Post
Those of us on the forum are (likely) BMW enthusiasts. I think you may be looking at this much more narrowly than BMW will. BMW isn't trying to convert the "already a BMW enthusiast" crowd. They are trying to convert the AMG, RS, VW R enthusiasts to the M brand. To do that the price needs to be agressive enough to have folks outside the brand splurge for the M car.

The BMW enthusiasts have a ton of options (even more in Europe) around the 50-65k price range including the M235i, 340i, 435i, 435i GC, 535i, 535d, X3, X4, X5, and M3. And those are just the 6 cylinders.

To the M enthusiast, you have 3 options, the M2, the M3 and to a lesser extent the M235i. Its not a stretch to think a fully loaded M235i buyer may want to jump into the M3, as the M3 is much more well equipped stock. Why would that be any different for the M2 to M3?
Again, these are well reasoned and sound points. However, if true, they should blow production of the M2 wide open to soak up all that interest/demand at a low price point. But this doesn't appear to be likely with all this low production/allocation chatter. I still think this M2 isn't about money or market share for BMW. It's a nod to the BMW enthusiasts on this forum and some branding as well.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #24
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

I wonder if DCT will be an optional extra that comes with a premium. That could certainly bloat the M2 price if they decide to make it standard equipment with the manual as a "no cost" option. Sure hope it's the former.
      10-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #25
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
Just had a dream that the M2 U.S. MSRP was $51,895 + destination.
Technically speaking, a nightmare is also a dream.
      10-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #26
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope
I wonder if DCT will be an optional extra that comes with a premium. That could certainly bloat the M2 price if they decide to make it standard equipment with the manual as a "no cost" option. Sure hope it's the former.
I doubt it but who knows. I'm thinking this car won't have a whole lot of options anyway. They might do executive package adding a bunch of items just to force everyone option it higher. To me that's more likely.

But in any case judging by the EU options list, I don't expect all the bells and whistles that the M3/M4 has. Only time will tell.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #27
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Technically speaking, a nightmare is also a dream.
Isn't that the truth?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #28
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Nice dream but fat chance amigo

The vehicle will come equipped with way too much standard equipment to get in at that price point. Unlike the 1M, there is no way to strip one out when you order it.

More content (optional or mandatory) means more $$$
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #29
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
I think way back scott26 had mentioned it will definitely cost more than the CLA45 AMG.
I think it was the S3 he mentioned ($42,500).
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #30
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Actually, if the creator of the M2 achieves his goal, your dream may not be too far off.
Here is a 2010 article in which the Head of the M Division at the time was aiming for a larger participation in the M car world. To do that, he apparently, wanted an M2 priced for less than $50,000.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-to-the-future
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #31
jackelliott
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman
Quote:
Actually, if the creator of the M2 achieves his goal, your dream may not be too far off.
Here is a 2010 article in which the Head of the M Division at the time was aiming for a larger participation in the M car world. To do that, he apparently, wanted an M2 priced for less than $50,000.
I think that's the sweet spot. Depends if they want to sell a lot of them or not
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #32
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
I think it was the S3 he [Scott26] mentioned ($42,500).
It was the TTS @51.9. He said it was going to be more
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ght=tts&page=4 Post 88
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #33
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
It was the TTS @51.9. He said it was going to be more
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ght=tts&page=4 Post 88
You're right. Sad days if it ends up being much more expensive. But then again Audis are expensive. The TTS is not even competition for the M2, it's more in line with the M235i.
      10-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #34
RoninX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Yeah it's pretty hard to predict but a base M235i is $45k after destination and an M3 is $64k. I would guess $55k is a pretty solid estimate, but then again the CLA45 AMG starts at like $49k or something...
Yeah, there's a pretty narrow price window for the M2. I would bet it's somewhere between $52K and $55K. Maybe $53,495?

Although I wouldn't be surprised if some dealers tried to tack on a large "market adjustment" to the first deliveries...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:44 AM   #35
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Except that the M2 buyer isn't looking for modern day BMW luxury. And right now that's all that separates BMW from cheaper alternatives. The M2 isn't giving you M4 luxury. It isn't even giving you M235i luxury - that car is better optioned than the M2. So, the question shouldn't be why wouldn't BMW price the M2 closer to the M3 since that only helps them sell more cars. Rather it should be how expensive can BMW make this car without forcing buyers to look at a VW Golf R, CLA45, Ford Focus RS, GT350, etc? Sure, most of those cars don't offer the luxury of a BMW, but neither does the M2, so.........
What are you referring to when you say the M235i is better optioned than the M2? What "luxary" is missing?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #36
LinkF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' MG F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
But this doesn't appear to be likely with all this low production/allocation chatter.
All that is exactly that, chatter. BMW will build as many of these as the market will allow, but a small 2-door RWD coupe with some track focused parts is not a huge market. If it were, the 2 series coupe would be selling like hotcakes, but compared to anything but the top BMW luxury models, it is not:
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:58 AM   #37
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

They'll make as many as they can without sacrificing production slots to the high volume cars at that manufacturing facility. With the 1M the target was 60/month. The UK might have an actual number limit like it did with the 1M but no one knows.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #38
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
What's all this, "creeping into M3/M4 territory" nonsense. Isn't that the point if you're BMW? Get people interested in something a little cheaper than price it close enough to stretch some people into a even higher priced vehicle for that cute little CF roof and fancy seats?

Everyone is guessing but I'm saying at least $55k.
The point I'm trying to make is that I just don't see BMW worrying about overpricing the M2, its going to be a low allocation car with a cult following that really isn't going to move the bottom line for them either way. If they can get a few people trading up to a slightly higher volume M3/M4 why not? And they obviously have no incentive to underprice it either.

The only cars that they would worry about overpricing would be entry level 3 series, x models etc to stay competitive.

Exactly!!!!
And there is a reason that the 2 series doesn't sell like hotcakes. Most dealers step you up to a 3 series. why ??

There probably isn't a dealer on the planet that has a larger 2 series inventory than it does a 3/4 series inventory.

Buyers generally buy off the lot and don't want to wait for their car to be built or even moved around from another dealer. Sales people off course are trained to sell what is on the lot.

It's only a patient, focused buyer that will seek out a 2 series, especially an M, when the easy button is to get an M3 or M4 that's either

1- in stock
2 - readily customizable if the buyer wants to wait.
3- a better value due to discounts from the dealer, financing /lease programs/ , dealer incentives.
4- overall has more vehicle content (options Etc-)?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #39
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman
Quote:
(Gasp!). You mean it wasn't all about money ?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #40
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

The 1M was a sucess. The limited numbers and high demand kept prices high. This might not be a limited run but that doesn't mean it'll be cheap. If people are still willing to pay those same prices now for a 2nd hand used 1M then BMW will have taken note of that. They'll also have taken note of the GT4 success. BMW is not a charity. It's not there to provide what you want at a price you want, they are there to make money. BMW would still sell a good chunk of these even if the MSRP was the same as the M3. Even a moderately optioned 335 can be 55K. BMW prices feel higher than ever to me, in fact the stripper M3 seems like a bargain compared to the rest of the line up. I'd be amazed if it was close to 50. 55K for a stripper, 58K for a DCT stripper which means plenty of you will be in the low 60's I imagine. I'd love an M2, but it's just too pricey for me new.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #41
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stren View Post
I'd love an M2, but it's just too pricey for me new.
If you want to impress your friends and be the first one on the block with a new toy, then yes, it's going to be pricey.
But, the M2 is a production line car that's going to be around for a few years. Your love should not be frustrated! Wait a year (maybe sooner) after it comes out. By that time, BMW will have harvested all the money from the frantic segment of buyers. At which point, you should be able to get 10% off.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #42
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Quote:
I doubt it but who knows. I'm thinking this car won't have a whole lot of options anyway. They might do executive package adding a bunch of items just to force everyone option it higher. To me that's more likely.

But in any case judging by the EU options list, I don't expect all the bells and whistles that the M3/M4 has. Only time will tell.
I would expect an executive package. Save those bells and whistles for the M3/4, that's the car they're for. The M2 will be best equipped with no options (unless of course a 6 speed is considered an option).
      10-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #43
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
What are you referring to when you say the M235i is better optioned than the M2? What "luxary" is missing?
Sensors on the front bumper, ability to choose my preferred exterior color, ability to choose my preferred interior color, to a lesser extent runflat tires as an option (though yes, obviously the M2 buyer isn't looking for runflats), the M2 may or may not come with adaptive dampers, but I'm thinking it won't, which some people may love and some people may dislike. I thought it was pretty obvious that ANYTHING aside from the M2 is a better choice if you're not interested in compromising. I'm not saying these things are the downfall of the car, but it is exactly these things that should pull the price tag down. And insignificant as they may be to you, it's fact, the M2 is very compromised when compared to standard series cars AND every other M car in production today.
      10-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #44
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Sensors on the front bumper, ability to choose my preferred exterior color, ability to choose my preferred interior color, to a lesser extent runflat tires as an option (though yes, obviously the M2 buyer isn't looking for runflats), the M2 may or may not come with adaptive dampers, but I'm thinking it won't, which some people may love and some people may dislike. I thought it was pretty obvious that ANYTHING aside from the M2 is a better choice if you're not interested in compromising. I'm not saying these things are the downfall of the car, but it is exactly these things that should pull the price tag down. And insignificant as they may be to you, it's fact, the M2 is very compromised when compared to standard series cars AND every other M car in production today.
OK, not really what I would consider luxury options but I hear you. The colors offered are probably the most popular colors anyway so not a huge issue for most people. If the interior does have added extras like the 1M I understand the take it or leave it black only. Otherwise it is quite strange as it seams to be straight from the series car.

So basically it has every option (excluding colors) the series car has except adaptive dampers and front PDC. So me personally wouldn't really call it compromised but others, as you say, might do...
Appreciate 0