BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > 8S4 Variable Light Decoding

03-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #45
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
So basically not safe on any US spec car regardless of Xenon or LED

Stick to VLD kids
I coded mine last night (2018 LCI, Adaptive LED) to re-add 5AP and 8S4 and it works perfectly. It properly adjusts for oncoming traffic, and tunnels around cars in front of me. I had a passenger with me and he confirmed there was no change to my light pattern on the car in front of me when the auto high beams kicked on. However, I wonder what the other cars think whey the see the shoulder lit up like daylite...

Drove for over an hour because after reading these posts I wasn't 100% sure I could trust it. Never once got flashed, never once did my high beams "accidentally" blast oncoming traffic or another driver. I notice very defined edges to my light pattern though, which I did NOT ever see on my M235 with Adaptive Xenons.

Last edited by jonahk; 03-05-2018 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
bollinm25.00
      03-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #46
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Does anyone know how to trigger this to turn on once its been coded? Is it when you have the auto high beams on? Regular high beams on?
Auto high beams have to be on
Appreciate 2
abirmaher834.50
AndrewC198910903.50
      03-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #47
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Does anyone know how to trigger this to turn on once its been coded? Is it when you have the auto high beams on? Regular high beams on?
Auto high beams have to be on
Seems to be working. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #48
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I love it on my EURO spec M2. Cool to see it 'wrapping' around cars, swiveling around. I also checked how it looks from outside by letting someone else drive my car at night: you see that the M2 light is more intense than usual light, but not to the point to blind you. Cool stuff. Already happened a couple of times that a car keeps following me for a long distance in my lane on the Autobahn, 'using' my 'Wall Of Light" as a kind of trailblazer through the dark.

This video shows well how the 'High Beam Assist' works:

I have pre LCI HID and I can confirm that mine works like this. I have been driving with it for over a year. It also points out street signs, Pedestrian and cops hiding to the right. I have driven around behind a friend and he said he can see it working with the lights moving around but it doesn’t blind him.
Appreciate 2
      03-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #49
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Quote:
So basically not safe on any US spec car regardless of Xenon or LED

Stick to VLD kids
I coded mine last night (2018 LCI, Adaptive LED) to re-add 5AP and 8S4 and it works perfectly. It properly adjusts for oncoming traffic, and tunnels around cars in front of me. I had a passenger with me and he confirmed there was no change to my light pattern on the car in front of me when the auto high beams kicked on. However, I wonder what the other cars think whey the see the shoulder lit up like daylite...

Drove for over an hour because after reading these posts I wasn't 100% sure I could trust it. Never once got flashed, never once did my high beams "accidentally" blast oncoming traffic or another driver. I notice very defined edges to my light pattern though, which I did NOT ever see on my M235 with Adaptive Xenons.

Could you share where you got instructions to code this back on? Assuming you used bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #50
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Could you share where you got instructions to code this back on? Assuming you used bimmercode?
BIMMERCODE

Coding for 8S4 (VLD):

Front Electronic Module > Expert Mode >

3073 LaMaster1 > LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y > 9C,9C,9C (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_AFS_ENA > Enable (Both)

Coding for 5AP (GFHB):

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ENA > Enable (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_GRHB_ENA > Highway_Standby_AFS

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA > Enable

Note: You'll see two blue check marks next to some of these. Press the top one. It will uncheck the one below it. Now you can enable one of the two 'enable' options (if there are two). Back out. Go back in. Both correct selections should have the blue check mark next to them.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 03-08-2018 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 5
      03-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #51
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
It has been confirmed in other threads that the pre-LCI bi-xenon lights don't have the proper hardware to create the tunnel effect either.
Quote:

Quote:
I have pre LCI HID and I can confirm that mine works like this. I have been driving with it for over a year. It also points out street signs, Pedestrian and cops hiding to the right. I have driven around behind a friend and he said he can see it working with the lights moving around but it doesn’t blind him.
Seems like there's many conflicting reports about GFHB on US cars, for both the Adaptive Xenons and LEDs.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1406937&page=1

I'm just going to code it in and see for myself. Worst case scenario I'll remove it.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 03-08-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #52
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Seems like there's many conflicting reports about GFHB on US cars, for both the Adaptive Xenons and LEDs.

I'm just going to code it in and see for myself. Worst case scenario I'll remove it.
I got a few PMs while I was out of town this week. I am going to get some video from both my car and another vehicle in front of me to share. Hope to have those up by Sunday.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      03-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #53
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Quote:
I got a few PMs while I was out of town this week. I am going to get some video from both my car and another vehicle in front of me to share. Hope to have those up by Sunday.
Sub'd

I've got VLD coded but not GFHB. I wasn't sure the hardware was there. I've got an 18 LCI as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #54
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Coding for 5AP (GFHB):

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ENA > Enable (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_GRHB_ENA > Highway_Standby_AFS

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA > Enable
Where did you get the info for this?

I used **************'s ncd compare tool to see what would change if I were to VO code some of the modules after 5AP was removed from my FA. The only thing that came up was the first of your changes...

I didn't have the second two changes, which may be why the behaviour was incomplete. If that's correct, maybe it will work after all, which is why I ask where you got your info.

Good luck with your testing!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #55
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Where did you get the info for this?

I used **************'s ncd compare tool to see what would change if I were to VO code some of the modules after 5AP was removed from my FA. The only thing that came up was the first of your changes...

I didn't have the second two changes, which may be why the behaviour was incomplete. If that's correct, maybe it will work after all, which is why I ask where you got your info.

Good luck with your testing!
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997749
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #56
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
It has been confirmed in other threads that the pre-LCI bi-xenon lights don't have the proper hardware to create the tunnel effect either.
Quote:

Quote:

Let's us know how it goes. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 01:57 AM   #57
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
OK, so I spent some time on this tonight, and I looked through the Google sheets document that you linked to, and found the three changes listed there.

Having said that, I don't see the logic for those changes... I'd love to be wrong, but I think they were just lifted from some other ~2013 F series discussion and that's why they're listed as 'unknown' status for if they work or not.

As far as I know, the only way to find changes based on regional difference, is to compare to the default data for a vehicle from that region. In E-Sys you can do this by editing your FA to (optionally) make it a European model number, and removing 8S4 and 5AP from the SALAPA-Element list. Once you've got the modified FA, you can create a set of default NCD files for the modules in the vehicle, and then compare these to the US defaults with 8S4 and 5AP.

This approach with E-Sys is the one that I took and I got a completely different set of differences. The first difference was CA_AFS_ENA, but the other two that you list were defaulted to disabled just like the US M2 defaults.

There was also a lot of differences in the FLE modules, which is something that has been identified as being required for other models.

I consulted Almaretto about the changes I'd found, and he suggested a few to try. I did this and made a video of my experience. Basically the headlights moved around a lot, but didn't form a tunnel when needed; it was a bit disappointing, because seeing the high-beams dip independently and move around like that is truly impressive.

I'm going to try coding the two additional changes you mentioned just in case, but I don't have high hopes.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #58
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I consulted Almaretto about the changes I'd found, and he suggested a few to try. I did this and made a video of my experience. Basically the headlights moved around a lot, but didn't form a tunnel when needed; it was a bit disappointing, because seeing the high-beams dip independently and move around like that is truly impressive.

I'm going to try coding the two additional changes you mentioned just in case, but I don't have high hopes.
I talked to someone that pulled apart the EU and NA headlamps. F22/F87 have different hardware between regions.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      03-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #59
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Kind of already figured that.

The question now becomes: if I buy the euro headlights, is the coding we discussed here going to allow them to function properly? Guess there's only one way to find out...

I don't feel like being the $1700 guinea pig though, lol
My hypothesis would be no as other F3x owners tried that and failed.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #60
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
(sorry, last post accidentally deleted)

That's a shame. I'm going to go for a test drive tonight regardless just because I'd like to see the behavior for myself out of curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #61
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Quote:
Kind of already figured that.

The question now becomes: if I buy the euro headlights, is the coding we discussed here going to allow them to function properly? Guess there's only one way to find out...

I don't feel like being the $1700 guinea pig though, lol
I'm in your group.

My F87 Window Sticker does not have a line on there for "Decode" anything... unlike my F82, which clearly states it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #62
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've got done with my first drive with GFHB

Around my well lit town at night going approx 40mph the auto high beams acted normally. As soon as a car would come in the opposite direction or one was in front of me they would both shut off and if the road was clear they would both turn on. I don't know if this is normal behavior due to speed or lighting conditions or both, but they functioned as usual. GFHB didn't ever turn on.

After this I went on the highway and I noticed they started working as I was expecting them to. When traveling in the far right lane the right high beam would turn on and illuminate road signs. The left one stayed off. Unfortunately due to the number of cars on the parkway I wasn't able to test the tunneling effect with one car in front of me at high speed and nothing on either side. It's just too congested where I live at this hour. It's something I'll have to play with and revisit when the opportunity presents itself.

In summation, the coding itself seems to work as well as the beam splitting, but I'm still unable to see if the tunneling does.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #63
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've got done with my first drive with GFHB

Around my well lit town at night going approx 40mph the auto high beams acted normally. As soon as a car would come in the opposite direction or one was in front of me they would both shut off and if the road was clear they would both turn on. I don't know if this is normal behavior due to speed or lighting conditions or both, but they functioned as usual. GFHB didn't ever turn on.

After this I went on the highway and I noticed they started working as I was expecting them to. When traveling in the far right lane the right high beam would turn on and illuminate road signs. The left one stayed off. Unfortunately due to the number of cars on the parkway I wasn't able to test the tunneling effect with one car in front of me at high speed and nothing on either side. It's just too congested where I live at this hour. It's something I'll have to play with and revisit when the opportunity presents itself.

In summation, the coding itself seems to work as well as the beam splitting, but I'm still unable to see if the tunneling does.
Coding may create light movement, but that does not mean they are working.

Best is to use ISTA+ create light pattern on dark wall. Then, you can see if tunnel is created or there is leakage.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #64
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
I'm in your group.

My F87 Window Sticker does not have a line on there for "Decode" anything... unlike my F82, which clearly states it.
My window sticker doesn't have it shown, but my build sheet does:

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #65
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My window sticker doesn't have it shown, but my build sheet does:
So does the I001, but that is not capable either.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #66
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Coding may create light movement, but that does not mean they are working.

Best is to use ISTA+ create light pattern on dark wall. Then, you can see if tunnel is created or there is leakage.
I have ISTA+ installed now, do you know what the process is for getting this light pattern up?

Do you need to have coded what we assume to be necessary for NGHB first before doing the light pattern, or is the pattern separate from that, and just sends commands to the lights directly?

Appreciate 0