07-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

Discounted M2 or M2 Competition

Hi All,

One of my friends has an M2 and suggested I join this forum. I've been lurking for the last couple of weeks and would like some advice from the community.

Some brief context. I currently live in NYC and will be moving back to California in a few weeks. I have not owned a car since 2015 and the last two cars I have purchased were Audi's. Hopefully no one holds that against me. I'm not a fanboy of any particular car brands but for my next car I'm interested in either a Porsche Cayman S, current 2018 M2. or soon to be released 2019 M2 Competition.

I currently have a motorcycle and I plan to use this as my daily ride. Since there's no urgency, I have some time to figure out what I want and shop around for the best deal.

I have not test driven the new 718 Cayman yet but plan on going to a dealer for a test drive once I'm in California. I have ridden in my friend's M2 and loved it so I decided to do some research and look into possibly getting an M2.

A couple of weeks ago, I called some dealers in California and was able to get an allocation for the M2 Competition for MSRP. The SA sent me a screenshot and the Production started on July 5 with a status code of 150. The build was for Hockenheim Silver Metallic, Executive Package, Black Wheels, and DCT. The MSRP including destination charge and doc fee is $64,525 USD. If I include license, taxes, registration, etc it's going to be about $71,500 OTD.

This particular dealer has four 2018 M2 available (LLB, Black, Grey, AW). Most of them have the same options and he told me that they have been on the lot for 2-4 months (some longer than others). I asked him if this is such a popular car, why are they still here. I have no idea if he was filling me with BS or if there's any truth to it but he said most people who are looking to lease one will not because the lease terms (residuals) are not good. So basically he told me if I want a current model, they are willing to provide a "good deal". Basically he said if I wanted to give up my allocation and get one of their in stock M2s, that I could get 8-9% off MSRP which I believe would be close to or a little below invoice. So if my math works out, that would mean I could potentially save 8-9K if I decided to go with a left over 2018 M2. The SA has other folks interested in my allocation if I decide to change my mind.

The next car I get will be primarily used as a daily driver and I do not plan to go to the track. I would like to try a track day since it's on my bucket list but unless I catch the bug, track days will be few and far between. I just want something sporty, fun to drive and similar to how I feel when riding a motorcycle. There's nothing like riding on 2 wheels but I guess riding a motorcycle and driving a car are two different animals.

I understand this is completely subjective but would like your opinions.

1. Would the 8-9K in savings be enough to persuade you to get a current M2? I have never had a BMW or M car so I'm not sure if the M2C would be worth the extra costs just to have the latest in greatest and maybe a waste if i'm not planning to track it. There is appeal with the M2C with the M3/M4 sport seats, side mirrors, and S55 engine

2. Would you recommending waiting closer to the delivery date of my M2C before I made a decision? If dealers are having a hard time getting the current M2s off their lot, would I be crazy to think they would discount 10% or more off MSRP by Sept/Oct or end of year (Nov/Dec)?

3. When I rode in my friend's M2 I did not find it too stiff. Since there are no reviews of the M2C, anyone have any thoughts if the suspension may be too stiff for a daily driver and the M2C is more of a track focused car?

4. Is this the wrong sports coupe for me to consider for a daily driver?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

1. No. If you are thinking about a 718 S as well, price is clearly not an issue for you so why get the inferior model even if for 8-9k off (this my opinion). Even if you are not planning on tracking.

2. Yes wait, can always change your mind.

3. Depends. You need to drive the Cayman. Cayman without PASM similarish feel to the M2 from my experience, with PASM will likely rise better but the M2 is awesome, meaning the M2C will be glorious. Also, M2C has more space than the 718. But if stiffness is at all a concern, these cars shouldn't be on your radar, get an M550i or other fast cruiser. Also, coil overs are a great aftermarket add on to address this.

4. No. M2C is a great sports car for daily driving, but that's a preference thing.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aWanderlustSeoul View Post
Hi All,

One of my friends has an M2 and suggested I join this forum. I've been lurking for the last couple of weeks and would like some advice from the community.

Some brief context. I currently live in NYC and will be moving back to California in a few weeks. I have not owned a car since 2015 and the last two cars I have purchased were Audi's. Hopefully no one holds that against me. I'm not a fanboy of any particular car brands but for my next car I'm interested in either a Porsche Cayman S, current 2018 M2. or soon to be released 2019 M2 Competition.

I currently have a motorcycle and I plan to use this as my daily ride. Since there's no urgency, I have some time to figure out what I want and shop around for the best deal.

I have not test driven the new 718 Cayman yet but plan on going to a dealer for a test drive once I'm in California. I have ridden in my friend's M2 and loved it so I decided to do some research and look into possibly getting an M2.

A couple of weeks ago, I called some dealers in California and was able to get an allocation for the M2 Competition for MSRP. The SA sent me a screenshot and the Production started on July 5 with a status code of 150. The build was for Hockenheim Silver Metallic, Executive Package, Black Wheels, and DCT. The MSRP including destination charge and doc fee is $64,525 USD. If I include license, taxes, registration, etc it's going to be about $71,500 OTD.

This particular dealer has four 2018 M2 available (LLB, Black, Grey, AW). Most of them have the same options and he told me that they have been on the lot for 2-4 months (some longer than others). I asked him if this is such a popular car, why are they still here. I have no idea if he was filling me with BS or if there's any truth to it but he said most people who are looking to lease one will not because the lease terms (residuals) are not good. So basically he told me if I want a current model, they are willing to provide a "good deal". Basically he said if I wanted to give up my allocation and get one of their in stock M2s, that I could get 8-9% off MSRP which I believe would be close to or a little below invoice. So if my math works out, that would mean I could potentially save 8-9K if I decided to go with a left over 2018 M2. The SA has other folks interested in my allocation if I decide to change my mind.

The next car I get will be primarily used as a daily driver and I do not plan to go to the track. I would like to try a track day since it's on my bucket list but unless I catch the bug, track days will be few and far between. I just want something sporty, fun to drive and similar to how I feel when riding a motorcycle. There's nothing like riding on 2 wheels but I guess riding a motorcycle and driving a car are two different animals.

1. Would the 8-9K in savings be enough to persuade you to get a current M2? I have never had a BMW or M car so I'm not sure if the M2C would be worth the extra costs just to have the latest in greatest and maybe a waste if i'm not planning to track it. There is appeal with the M2C with the M3/M4 sport seats, side mirrors, and S55 engine

2. Would you recommending waiting closer to the delivery date of my M2C before I made a decision? If dealers are having a hard time getting the current M2s off their lot, would I be crazy to think they would discount 10% or more off MSRP by Sept/Oct or end of year (Nov/Dec)?

3. When I rode in my friend's M2 I did not find it too stiff. Since there are no reviews of the M2C, anyone have any thoughts if the suspension may be too stiff for a daily driver and the M2C is more of a track focused car?

1) Well, depends. The current M2 is great as is. You're not gonna be missing out on much in my opinion. If tuning is your thing, get the M2 Competiton, as is, the N55 M2 with price reductions is a significant bargain. Even with the M2C coming out, it's not like what the reviewers said about the original M2 is thrown out the window.

Plus with all the modifications that are available now, the regular M2 can perform at the same level as the M2 Competition, maybe even better. A Stage 2 Turbo, IC, DP, And the XDI HPFP can be added to your car with that 8-9k discount and you'll be at the performance of a tuned M4.

The Cayman on the other hand, is way better in terms of driving feel. Honestly, I know this is a BMW forum, but you're better off getting the Cayman IF you want a more dedicated sports car. That's not to say the M2/C isn't a sports car, its just there's compromises they had to make. One being it's not a fully dedicated sports chassis.

My 718 GTS is vastly superior. I tuned mine with the McChip DKR Stage 2 and well, damn, it pulled on a couple of M4s like they were 328i's.

But let me tell you something.

When you buy any sports car from AMG or M, you're at like a 95% there when it comes to performance. A Porsche will bring you closer to 100% by maybe 1-2%, at that point it's just marginal benefits. You'll still have a good car, just you're gonna have to put in more work for the car to achieve higher tiers of performance.

2)Better to wait.

3)I don't think it'll be too stiff. It's a daily driver car, but depends on what you determine stiff to be. The way the M2 was at launch was too soft imo. With my coilovers, it's just pretty much right. However, my friends disagree and think it's way too stiff now. So, again, relative. Imo, I think that the 718 suspension with PASM is right in the money. It's stiff but it handles bumps like a champ. Personally, I upgraded my PASM suspension with DSC Sport box and their TTX Suspension.

4)No. Nothing wrong with daily driving a Sports coupe.
      07-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Hi All,

That's a tough call. But the M2C may knock M2 values down a little, so consider that if you don't keep your cars more than 5 years or so.

I think also with 19" wheels and ball joint suspension it will be a very firm ride. What's the roughest riding car you've daily driven? Was it a deal breaker?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
You might also consider a 981 CS/GTS - would certainly be cheaper than the 718 route, and the experience is very different (in a good way, IMO).

I drove my 981 daily for two years and never had a problem with it - you are somewhat limited with certain types of things because it's a two seater, but we don't have kids so those were minimal for us.

I am hoping to have a third garage bay someday - keep an M for the daily drives which usually have some insanity tied in, and a 981 GTS for pure driving pleasure. Within reason, that's my dream garage. Really can't go wrong with either choice.
      07-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Basically he said if I wanted to give up my allocation and get one of their in stock M2s, that I could get 8-9% off MSRP which I believe would be close to or a little below invoice.
I would shoot for 10%+ off on old M2. You are basically driving off the lot with more depreciation with a 1 year old model and the new model has major changes. Down the road when trading the car in, some of the money saved now will be lost trading in a 2018 vs 2019.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
You might also consider a 981 CS/GTS - would certainly be cheaper than the 718 route, and the experience is very different (in a good way, IMO).
Agree. I would be looking at a CPO 981 Cayman GTS over a 718 Cayman.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      07-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
The flat 6 with PSE =

07-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
The flat 6 with PSE =

Ohh, there's something else he could do I just remembered. Get a 981 and have it converted to the 991 S engine at BGB. Just get any used Cayman 981 and they'll do an almost OEM conversion. With anything you want on it.
      07-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
I have not owned a car since 2015 and the last two cars I have purchased were Audi's. Hopefully no one holds that against me.
Too late, you're already being judged! That said everyone makes mistakes and deserves a second chance.

Quote:
A fully loaded MY18 M2 is $60k, not sure how you're coming up with 8-9k savings. It's closer to $5k off.

Quote:
If you can wait you may get better deals on existing M2's that are still sitting around. No guarantees however.

Quote:
From the limited info we have on the M2c we've been told its suspension has been tuned to better handle bumpy roads. Remains to be seen.

Quote:
No, but you have the wrong attitude asking such a question.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #11
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

Appreciate everyone's input! I plan to hold my allocation for the M2C since I have plenty of time to figure out what I really want.

@Thescout13 - Yes as long as I don't go crazy with the endless Porsche options, the Cayman S or possibly the GTS is within my budget. I definitely plan to test drive once I'm in CA.

@Yiruna - Thanks for your input on the Cayman GTS and performance sport cars in general. I definitely plan to test drive the 718. I'll never be able to fully tap into the full potential of any high performance car but it's good to know you can't really go wrong with any of them. You have a nice stable of amazing cars!

@COChris - It's hard for me to know how long I plan to keep my next car. I move around quite a bit and if I end up back to NYC, I'm definitely not keeping a car but I'll always have at least one motorcycle. I find riding on 2 wheels one of the best natural highs to experience. The last car I had was an Audi S4 and none of my past cars had really firm suspension. A firm ride is acceptable within reason but yes it could be a deal breaker. It's so subjective and everyone has different tolerance levels.

@dmboone25 - Hmm good point. I did not consider the previous generation 981 Cayman GTS so I might as will look at CPOs inventory and see if anything catches my eye.

@Blipit_ - I agree with the depreciation factor. Cars in general are typically not a good investment. If dealers still have plenty of 2018 M2s in their inventory by Q3/Q4, I'm pretty sure a 10% discount or more could be a reality.

@Tag - Hopefully the negative judgement passes if I end up buying an M2 or M2C. I will say Audi's have some of the best interiors and creature comforts but I understand most driving enthusiasts don't consider most Audi models in the same league, even the RS models. The M2C at MSRP with all the taxes/fees/registration will be ~$71,500 OTD. The 2018 M2 with Executive Package, DCT, Alpine White with destination charge ($995) and doc fee is about $60,800.00 MSRP. With 10% off 2018 M2 MSRP it will be ~54,720 which I believe is below invoice. Now when I add the sales tax, fees, registration, it will be ~$60,650 OTD. So that's almost a 11K difference between a M2C and M2. With 8-9% off MSRP it can be a 8-9K+ difference.
Appreciate 3
Yiruna393.50
Thescout134947.00
Tag18152.00
      07-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #12
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Appreciate everyone's input! I plan to hold my allocation for the M2C since I have plenty of time to figure out what I really want.

@Thescout13 - Yes as long as I don't go crazy with the endless Porsche options, the Cayman S or possibly the GTS is within my budget. I definitely plan to test drive once I'm in CA.

@Yiruna - Thanks for your input on the Cayman GTS and performance sport cars in general. I definitely plan to test drive the 718. I'll never be able to fully tap into the full potential of any high performance car but it's good to know you can't really go wrong with any of them. You have a nice stable of amazing cars!

@COChris - It's hard for me to know how long I plan to keep my next car. I move around quite a bit and if I end up back to NYC, I'm definitely not keeping a car but I'll always have at least one motorcycle. I find riding on 2 wheels one of the best natural highs to experience. The last car I had was an Audi S4 and none of my past cars had really firm suspension. A firm ride is acceptable within reason but yes it could be a deal breaker. It's so subjective and everyone has different tolerance levels.

@dmboone25 - Hmm good point. I did not consider the previous generation 981 Cayman GTS so I might as will look at CPOs inventory and see if anything catches my eye.

@Blipit_ - I agree with the depreciation factor. Cars in general are typically not a good investment. If dealers still have plenty of 2018 M2s in their inventory by Q3/Q4, I'm pretty sure a 10% discount or more could be a reality.

@Tag - Hopefully the negative judgement passes if I end up buying an M2 or M2C. I will say Audi's have some of the best interiors and creature comforts but I understand most driving enthusiasts don't consider most Audi models in the same league, even the RS models. The M2C at MSRP with all the taxes/fees/registration will be ~$71,500 OTD. The 2018 M2 with Executive Package, DCT, Alpine White with destination charge ($995) and doc fee is about $60,800.00 MSRP. With 10% off 2018 M2 MSRP it will be ~54,720 which I believe is below invoice. Now when I add the sales tax, fees, registration, it will be ~$60,650 OTD. So that's almost a 11K difference between a M2C and M2. With 8-9% off MSRP it can be a 8-9K+ difference.
Honestly I don't think I would buy it for 10 K less. The difference in options alone is enough to justify the price for me. I mean you get an actual M engine from the M3 plus it's awesome seats, and better suspension and the customizability throttle, steering, and DCT. Hell any of those options alone justifies the price for me. The bang with your buck for the M2C should not be understated.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
DaFish157.50
      07-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #13
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

If u can afford it, why not go go comp?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

1) Well, depends. The current M2 is great as is. You're not gonna be missing out on much in my opinion. If tuning is your thing, get the M2 Competiton, as is, the N55 M2 with price reductions is a significant bargain. Even with the M2C coming out, it's not like what the reviewers said about the original M2 is thrown out the window.

Plus with all the modifications that are available now, the regular M2 can perform at the same level as the M2 Competition, maybe even better. A Stage 2 Turbo, IC, DP, And the XDI HPFP can be added to your car with that 8-9k discount and you'll be at the performance of a tuned M4.

The Cayman on the other hand, is way better in terms of driving feel. Honestly, I know this is a BMW forum, but you're better off getting the Cayman IF you want a more dedicated sports car. That's not to say the M2/C isn't a sports car, its just there's compromises they had to make. One being it's not a fully dedicated sports chassis.

My 718 GTS is vastly superior. I tuned mine with the McChip DKR Stage 2 and well, damn, it pulled on a couple of M4s like they were 328i's.

But let me tell you something.

When you buy any sports car from AMG or M, you're at like a 95% there when it comes to performance. A Porsche will bring you closer to 100% by maybe 1-2%, at that point it's just marginal benefits. You'll still have a good car, just you're gonna have to put in more work for the car to achieve higher tiers of performance.

2)Better to wait.

3)I don't think it'll be too stiff. It's a daily driver car, but depends on what you determine stiff to be. The way the M2 was at launch was too soft imo. With my coilovers, it's just pretty much right. However, my friends disagree and think it's way too stiff now. So, again, relative. Imo, I think that the 718 suspension with PASM is right in the money. It's stiff but it handles bumps like a champ. Personally, I upgraded my PASM suspension with DSC Sport box and their TTX Suspension.

4)No. Nothing wrong with daily driving a Sports coupe.
Your four-cylinder 718 Turbo GTS pulled on some M4's? Damn.

How much better does it sound?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #15
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post

The fact it weighs 400 lbs less had something to do with it lol. It sounds fine, as what you'd expect a Four pot to sound like, not as good as an inline six, but it does the job fantastic. Even if you dont like the sound, the performance alone should command respect to overlook the aural tone of the car.

Personally I love the sound and I don't think any online video does it justice. sounds better in person.

Here's a sound clip of a similar stage 2 718.

https://youtu.be/o8Gum9qztVM
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #16
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
This is my 2015 981 CS, right after I got the PSE retrofitted - I hadn't even received the blacked out tips yet, and went ahead and made my first video. One of the best sounding cars I have ever been in or around....

The 981 definitely isn't as fast as the 718 - but it sounds better. Just depends on what you want.

07-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #17
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Here are my 2 cents... from a former M2 owner (N55 engine) to a current M3 owner (S55 engine)

I felt the N55 engine was MUCH more linear and better around town - especially in stop and go traffic. The car always seemed ready to go - whereas, the M3 seems to have "less torque" down low (it doesn't, but BMW did some tuning on it to make it less of a beast down low).

Anyway, based on the fact that you won't be tracking it too much and, well, I hate those new wheels - I'd go pocket the extra cash and pick up your new car. You will love it.

PS - Don't get me wrong, I FREKIN love my M3 and would not trade it, but that M2 was special - and that engine had a lot to do with it (and my GAWD it sounded good).
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #18
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
This is my 2015 981 CS, right after I got the PSE retrofitted - I hadn't even received the blacked out tips yet, and went ahead and made my first video. One of the best sounding cars I have ever been in or around....

The 981 definitely isn't as fast as the 718 - but it sounds better. Just depends on what you want.

Now I really wanna do the BGB conversion on a 981. With PDK, oh man it'll be a glorious daily
      07-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #19
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
The fact it weighs 400 lbs less had something to do with it lol. It sounds fine, as what you'd expect a Four pot to sound like, not as good as an inline six, but it does the job fantastic. Even if you dont like the sound, the performance alone should command respect to overlook the aural tone of the car.

Personally I love the sound and I don't think any online video does it justice. sounds better in person.

It doesn't sound bad, it just sounds a bit flat or monotone, which is fine. There is so much whining about sound, it's overrated.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      07-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #20
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Just my .02

I don't really think that its worth it at this point to get a M2 N55 because the value will drop like crazy. I learned this with my E93 M3 when the new f80's started getting delivered the prices dropped sharply and quickly.

I would go M2 CS...anyways the M2 should've been a CS from the start.. instead BMW put a N55, why? I have no idea.

IMHO the new generation M2 (2021) after this current one will probably be a lot more worth it probably... it will just be a more well rounded better car I bet.
      07-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #21
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

This is the M2 comp forum and every user here had to make the same decision you are about to make. They overwhelmingly picked M2C, so of course that's what you're going to see in the responses.

Go post in the non-comp M2 forums and you'll see the pendulum swing the other direction. Cars are emotional - just buy the one that you like, no one on the forum is qualified to make that decision for you.
Appreciate 3
      07-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #22
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post

I will have to drive one

It's hard to imagine it might be more balanced than the H6 no?
Appreciate 0