BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Installation of Turner Poly Rear Shifter Bushing for 6MT?

11-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
hson10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 A90 Supra 3.0, '11 E92 M3C

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Installation of Turner Poly Rear Shifter Bushing for 6MT?

Hey everybody,

Wondering if anybody has installed the Turner Poly rear shifter bushing for their 6MT M2 on jack stands / basic hand tools?
I don't have access to a lift, and I actually am totally fine with the throws of the stock shifter so not looking for an SSK combo that a shop would install at the moment. Just looking to increase some shifter feel and reduce some of the "vagueness".

The install guide on Turner's page says: "Installation is easy, once you remove the heat shield from under your car the old bushing is held in place with 2 star socket fasteners. Simply lube up the tail of the arm with any silicone based grease to position the bushing onto the shifting arm."

But, as with all things, an "easy" install could definitely be a bit harder on jack stands, so just wanted to see if somebody had done a DIY! Thanks in advance.

Product link:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...ifter-bushing/
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hson10 View Post
Hey everybody,

Wondering if anybody has installed the Turner Poly rear shifter bushing for their 6MT M2 on jack stands / basic hand tools?
I don't have access to a lift, and I actually am totally fine with the throws of the stock shifter so not looking for an SSK combo that a shop would install at the moment. Just looking to increase some shifter feel and reduce some of the "vagueness".

The install guide on Turner's page says: "Installation is easy, once you remove the heat shield from under your car the old bushing is held in place with 2 star socket fasteners. Simply lube up the tail of the arm with any silicone based grease to position the bushing onto the shifting arm."

But, as with all things, an "easy" install could definitely be a bit harder on jack stands, so just wanted to see if somebody had done a DIY! Thanks in advance.

Product link:
Installed an Autosolutions Shifter last year, and was considering installing this bushing as it would require only removing 2 small screws to slide bushing on to shift assembly. Decided not to do it as I did not think it would do anything after laying on my back looking at the assembly. The hardest part of doing this is clearance under car if you don't have access to a lift. I used a Quick Jack which was better than Floor Jacks. It is not hard at all to do, just limited access under car and removing shields. Would probably have done it if I didn't do the Auto Solutions Shifter.
      11-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
Hoverdog
It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2 Black Shadow

It's easy. Check my post here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25796992
Appreciate 2
hson10140.00
rns2947.50
      11-23-2020, 09:53 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Installed an Autosolutions Shifter last year, and was considering installing this bushing as it would require only removing 2 small screws to slide bushing on to shift assembly. Decided not to do it as I did not think it would do anything after laying on my back looking at the assembly. The hardest part of doing this is clearance under car if you don't have access to a lift. I used a Quick Jack which was better than Floor Jacks. It is not hard at all to do, just limited access under car and removing shields. Would probably have done it if I didn't do the Auto Solutions Shifter.
did you drop (or partially drop) the drive shaft?
      11-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
did you drop (or partially drop) the drive shaft?
Partially at the Rubber Flange which was 3 bolts. Probably could have gotten away with not doing this but my hands are larger and it made it easier. Just make sure you mark flange with a marker to go back as before if you drop it.
      11-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Partially at the Rubber Flange which was 3 bolts. Probably could have gotten away with not doing this but my hands are larger and it made it easier. Just make sure you mark flange with a marker to go back as before if you drop it.
Thanks for the advice!
      11-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #7
hson10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
Thanks for linking me on this! I took a look at the link and it looks like it's just an 8mm and removing the heat shield? Did you have to use a ratchet with a flexible head for this?

Also what is this "large panel under the gearbox" you speak of?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

Quote:
Hey everybody,

Product link:
I have one that I never got around to installing if you are interested PM me
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:01 PM   #9
Hoverdog
It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2 Black Shadow

Quote:
Thanks for linking me on this! I took a look at the link and it looks like it's just an 8mm and removing the heat shield? Did you have to use a ratchet with a flexible head for this?

The large panel is just a plastic undercarriage cover. It's easy to remove but you'll need to keep track of all the different bolt sizes and their corresponding holes. The bolts for the bushing are the standard BMW torx head bolts, so it's best to use a torx star socket but I was able to use a standard 8mm socket because they gripped well enough and the bolts were not very tight (I now own proper torx sockets).

I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and was able to reach the bolts with an extension and a universal joint attachment. No need to remove the drive shaft (heavens forbid). The tricky part is probably getting your hands in there to start the bolts during reassembly. A nice headlamp helps you see everything.

I did this on my driveway with the front wheels on ramps. As long as you're not built like Santa, you probably have enough room.
Appreciate 1
hson10140.00
      11-24-2020, 10:13 PM   #10
hson10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The large panel is just a plastic undercarriage cover. It's easy to remove but you'll need to keep track of all the different bolt sizes and their corresponding holes. The bolts for the bushing are the standard BMW torx head bolts, so it's best to use a torx star socket but I was able to use a standard 8mm socket because they gripped well enough and the bolts were not very tight (I now own proper torx sockets).

I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and was able to reach the bolts with an extension and a universal joint attachment. No need to remove the drive shaft (heavens forbid). The tricky part is probably getting your hands in there to start the bolts during reassembly. A nice headlamp helps you see everything.

I did this on my driveway with the front wheels on ramps. As long as you're not built like Santa, you probably have enough room.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks so much! This is definitely reassuring. I have a ton of tools from years and years of accumulated use and working on different cars, but I'll definitely be sure to grab some extra torx sockets before installation. This is extremely helpful! I'm gonna attempt it myself on jack stands
      08-12-2021, 09:16 AM   #11
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Just installed this yesterday, wasn't hard at all. Maybe just make sure you have a E10 1/4" drive socket with a swivel. Although I think a 3/4" drive would have worked just fine. 1 bolt was a straight shot actually no swivels needed the other one is almost a straight shot although I didn't try and just used the swivel.

Only thing that took me sometime was bending the turkey tray heat shield out of the way to slide out behind the drive shaft. But it wasn't very difficult took maybe 5 minutes to get it out. Super straight forward pretty satisfying job to do!!!
Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      08-18-2021, 07:27 AM   #12
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

What would this do?

I hate the 1-2 shift. Too clunky. Not cooperative.

The AS-S isn’t an easy process right?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 02:19 AM   #13
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
What would this do?

I hate the 1-2 shift. Too clunky. Not cooperative.

The AS-S isn’t an easy process right?
I noticed a reduction in clunky shifts after installing the rogue engineering trans mounts. This is after already driving with the auto solutions short shifter for a few months
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      08-19-2021, 02:58 AM   #14
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

I thought the ASS removed that 1-2 clunkiness.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 12:40 AM   #15
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
I thought the ASS removed that 1-2 clunkiness.
The auto solutions improves overall shift feel yeah, but the trans mounts reduces deflection so everything is tighter in between shifts - this makes the shifts less clunky.

It's a cheap upgrade parts wise and labor wise.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 02:02 AM   #16
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

yeah i think i'll try this out. Thanks.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #17
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

I did this but also rtd shifter same time so idk lol. Its cheap and your there same time
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 11:33 PM   #18
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
I noticed a reduction in clunky shifts after installing the rogue engineering trans mounts. This is after already driving with the auto solutions short shifter for a few months
Eidos, I just noticed that this is another product altogether. Was this easy to do?

Did you do BOTH the Turner Poly Rear Shifter Bushing AND the Rogue's transmission mount?

https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...nts_p_137.html
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #19
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Eidos, I just noticed that this is another product altogether. Was this easy to do?

Did you do BOTH the Turner Poly Rear Shifter Bushing AND the Rogue's transmission mount?

https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...nts_p_137.html
I did only the Rogue Engineering trans mounts (after installing the Auto Solutions kit).

It took my shop around 1-2 hours to install. Wasn't a hard job by any means.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 12:46 AM   #20
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

I recently installed the Turner rear bushing, posted re a specific issue in CS subforum but as it applies to all F87 thought it worth sharing here. I have had the Auto Solutions SSK (+ blue poly bushings) for 3.5yrs, BMS clutch stop (2 shims) since new, Raceseng Circuit Sphere knob (did have intermittent buzzing with oem knob after SSK), CDV delete 1yr ago then Rogue trans mounts 6mths ago.
imo the Turner bushing gave an improvement about the same as the Rogue mounts did, a little more feel/precision/tightness but no additional effort to engage gear. What did come with the Turner bushing (I'm sure because I already had the AS SSK polyurethane shift arm to transmission mounts) was a significant increase in NVH. At idle you can hear whine/chatter but with hard acceleration/deceleration there is loud gear whine. My car isn't a daily commuter and I now actually like the extra excitement it gives in mountain twisties, wouldn't recommend it if you daily commute and listen to radio/music. Before installing the Turner I would say NVH was virtually at oem level (except for the buzz I had with oem shift knob, eliminated with Raceseng knob).

For anyone who already has the AS SSK and read/heard that Ron recommends against the Turner bushing, here is a reply from Ron clarifying:
"I cannot comment on the current Turner poly bushing. the one that was given to me was a couple years old and I felt it held the back of the shifter arm too tightly therefore robbing control from the front setup. I recommended then to slightly enlarge the hole so that the bushing would act as a limiter rather than a controller. And theorized that it would work very well in that case except for the noise.

I drove such a bushing on an e46M3 in its tight form ( it was a generic blue poly bushing) and I felt it hurt the pattern rather than help it. it felt firmer but not as precise especially when pushed hard. So it sort of validated my theory. So for both noise and control reasons I felt it was not a positive .

However a tight rear bushing would likely work well if the rest of the mounts (motor mounts and gearbox mounts) were solid or close to solid. In such a case the whole drivetrain moves as one with the body and the rear bushing no longer controls the rear of the shift arm independently from its front

I hope this clarifies my position"
Appreciate 2
(K)1240.50
chris7197273.00
      04-23-2023, 07:28 AM   #21
Bigo1087
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 ZCP, 2018 M2, 2012X5D

follwoing I also had it installed with an RTD and RE Trans Mounts on my e46. On my new to me m2.. im also trying to fix this stock shifter.
Appreciate 0