Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
New M2

After deliberating for weeks on whether to buy an M3CS, M2CS, or M2 competition, tonight I purchased a SO, M2 Comp w/ DCT, executive package, and black 788 wheels.

Factors most important to me in favor of M3CS included looks and improved steering/suspension tuning. Downside of M3CS = size relative to M2, guilt about putting lots of miles on it, have already had an F80.

Factors most important to me in favor of M2CS included 763 wheels, CF top, steering/suspension tuning. Downside of M2CS included relative value and 45 minute commute (will put miles on car), or keeping two cars to split mileage. A word on relative value...to me, an M2CS, when considered in isolation, is worth $90k - but it does serve to illustrate what a BARGAIN an M2 Comp is.

Factors most important to me in favor of M2 Comp = size, looks, fun to drive. For me, it is the spiritual successor to my beloved E46s. In fact, with the exception of steering, I think it is better than E46 M3. And at this price, I'm not concerned about putting miles on it. Downside of M2 Comp = heavy wheels and brakes, bumpier ride relative to CS, no HUD, least favorite seat.

Factors in favor of DCT include better match to engine, 7th overdrive gear on 45 minute commute, hopes that my wife will enjoy driving it on occasion as a change-up from her G30 540, and the fact that this car is NOT a 3rd car weekend fun car for me. I want to take a break from multiple cars as I can only fit two in the garage, and am temporarily burnt out on the multiple car time investment. When I invariably decide I'm ready for a 3rd car again, it will be a manual and probably a Porsche (once they address tall 2nd/3rd gearing). That said, I'm hanging on to my F80 until I get through the honeymoon period with M2 and am sure I want to stay married.

The deal: $2k discount on a car sitting on lot 15 minutes from me. I also had the option to take a 4.5% discount on an order but dealer was 300 miles away. Decided to go with convenience and buy in my backyard where it's going to be serviced. Generally speaking, I found dealers were pretty firm on pricing in northern CA.

First mod is PPF full front, mirrors, and side skirts this Monday. Second will probably be 763 wheels when tires are ready to be replaced. Third would be investigating mods to improve ride. Alternatively, might go with a lighter brake kit that would work with light 18" wheels because I think that would be all that's required to take a bit of edge off ride, and realize other un-sprung weight benefits. A lighter, better sounding exhaust would finish it off. Street car for me, so not looking to dial car in for track.

Will provide driving impressions versus all my other/past BMWs once I've had a bit more seat time.

Look forward to being part of the M2 community!
Attached Images

Last edited by scoale; 11-19-2020 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 11
W///7485.00
///AVM2529.50
Moflow2484.50
CFO277.00
Kankles1484.50
akkando5863.00
Zentan132.00
Fabb228.50
      11-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
After deliberating for weeks on whether to buy an M3CS, M2CS, or M2 competition, tonight I purchased a SO, M2 Comp w/ DCT, executive package, and black 788 wheels.

Factors most important to me in favor of M3CS included looks and improved steering/suspension tuning. Downside of M3CS = size relative to M2, guilt about putting lots of miles on it, have already had an F80.

Factors most important to me in favor of M2CS included 763 wheels, CF top, steering/suspension tuning. Downside of M2CS included relative value and 45 minute commute (will put miles on car), or keeping two cars to split mileage. A word on relative value...to me, an M2CS, when considered in isolation, is worth $90k - but it does serve to illustrate what a BARGAIN an M2 Comp is.

Factors most important to me in favor of M2 Comp = size, looks, fun to drive. For me, it is the spiritual successor to my beloved E46s. In fact, with the exception of steering, I think it is better than E46 M3. And at this price, I'm not concerned about putting miles on it. Downside of M2 Comp = heavy wheels and brakes, bumpier ride relative to CS, no HUD, least favorite seat.

Factors in favor of DCT include better match to engine, 7th overdrive gear on 45 minute commute, hopes that my wife will enjoy driving it on occasion as a change-up from her G30 540, and the fact that this car is NOT a 3rd car weekend fun car for me. I want to take a break from multiple cars as I can only fit two in the garage, and am temporarily burnt out on the multiple car time investment. When I invariably decide I'm ready for a 3rd car again, it will be a manual and probably a Porsche (once they address tall 2nd/3rd gearing). That said, I'm hanging on to my F80 until I get through the honeymoon period with M2 and am sure I want to stay married.

The deal: $2k discount on a car sitting on lot 15 minutes from me. I also had the option to take a 4.5% discount on an order but dealer was 300 miles away. Decided to go with convenience and buy in my backyard where it's going to be serviced. Generally speaking, I found dealers were pretty firm on pricing in northern CA.

First mod is PPF full front, mirrors, and side skirts this Monday. Second will probably be 763 wheels when tires are ready to be replaced. Third would be investigating mods to improve ride. Alternatively, might go with a lighter brake kit that would work with light 18" wheels because I think that would be all that's required to take a bit of edge off ride, and realize other un-sprung weight benefits. A lighter, better sounding exhaust would finish it off. Street car for me, so not looking to dial car in for track.

Will provide driving impressions versus all my other/past BMWs once I've had a bit more seat time.

Great post and congrats on the M2C! Don't forget to post pics of the new car when you can.

I'm in the same boat as you, although I'm not in a position to buy a CS. In a weird way, I feel the same burnout as you, but I also get attached to my cars and don't really want to sell my E36 M3. I do feel like with the other cars I have, the M2C (with 6MT) would slot in very well as a half DD that would also be fun on a track.

I also agree that for what it is, the M2C is an absolute bargain. I've said it before, but this is what happened when Porsche launched the 981 GT4. Car could be ordered new for under $90k, and now the 718 is 6 figures. With seeing how BMW priced the G80/2, I think unfortunately the G87 will go up in size AND price.

P.S. Are you in California or NC? 4.5% off on an order would be pretty nice and I wouldn't mind driving 300 miles for that. Would even drive further and road trip home.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
scoale
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Great post and congrats on the M2C! Don't forget to post pics of the new car when you can.

I'm in the same boat as you, although I'm not in a position to buy a CS. In a weird way, I feel the same burnout as you, but I also get attached to my cars and don't really want to sell my E36 M3. I do feel like with the other cars I have, the M2C (with 6MT) would slot in very well as a half DD that would also be fun on a track.

I also agree that for what it is, the M2C is an absolute bargain. I've said it before, but this is what happened when Porsche launched the 981 GT4. Car could be ordered new for under $90k, and now the 718 is 6 figures. With seeing how BMW priced the G80/2, I think unfortunately the G87 will go up in size AND price.

P.S. Are you in California or NC? 4.5% off on an order would be pretty nice and I wouldn't mind driving 300 miles for that. Would even drive further and road trip home.
Currently in CA. Honestly, there is no good excuse for not taking the better deal versus grabbing one off of the lot so I won't try to make one.

I would NOT sell your E36. Your E36 is my E46 that I never should have sold. I really liked my Porsche 981BS. What kept it from forever keeper status was tall gearing and marginal electric steering. That said, I'm sure there is another Porsche in my future. Really liked my E92 but always felt heavy to me. My F80 doesn't feel heavy, but it drives big dimensions wise. And I like the S55s torque, but the engine otherwise lacks character. I'm still holding out hope for the G87. If it slots in size wise between the current M2 and F80 M3, offers an adaptive suspension, has improved steering, wields the S58 and offers a manual that pairs up well with it, the car could be a real winner. On the weight front, the clar platform, a CF roof, and lighter wheels and brakes could keep lbs down. Time will tell. In the meantime, I plan on enjoying my M2 Competition!!

Last edited by scoale; 11-19-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      11-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Congrats Scoale!

M2C just gets better and better over time. . . you will definitely become attached to this machine.

I too believe the G87 M2C will be a fantastic follow-up to the F87 . . . in the interim I have been enticed and ordered G80 M3C.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
zhp4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT/coral red/THP/MPerf

Congrats on getting the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
zhp4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT/coral red/THP/MPerf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Congrats Scoale!

M2C just gets better and better over time. . . you will definitely become attached to this machine.

I too believe the G87 M2C will be a fantastic follow-up to the F87 . . . in the interim I have been enticed and ordered G80 M3C.

///AVM
Interesting , didn't knew about G80 M3C, are dealers even taking order for this ?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Congrats! I JUST picked up what sounds like an identical M2C build two weeks ago. I'm also in NorCal. I got a bit more than $2K off, and just happened to contact the dealer when the car was 2wks out from arriving at port (it was ordered for dealer stock). I didn't mind the $1.5k over invoice price since it meant not having to wait 4mo (1mo for an allocation somewhere, plus 3mo build/ship time).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Currently in CA. Honestly, there is no good excuse for not taking the better deal versus grabbing one off of the lot so I won't try to make one.

I would NOT sell your E36. Your E36 is my E46 that I never should have sold. I really liked my Porsche 981BS. What kept it from forever keeper status was tall gearing and marginal electric steering. That said, I'm sure there is another Porsche in my future. Really liked my E92 but always felt heavy to me. My F80 doesn't feel heavy, but it drives big dimensions wise. And I like the S55s torque, but the engine otherwise lacks character. I'm still holding out hope for the G87. If it slots in size wise between the current M2 and F80 M3, offers an adaptive suspension, has improved steering, wields the S58 and offers a manual that pairs up well with it, the car could be a real winner. On the weight front, the clar platform, a CF roof, and lighter wheels and brakes could keep lbs down. Time will tell. In the meantime, I plan on enjoying my M2 Competition!!

congrats on the car, I came from a 981CS and really like the M2C so that bodes well for you.

as for character I suspect the s58 will have less character than the s55...I had a car with the b58 and there is something synthetic about that engine, i suspect the s58 also has that synthetic feel...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
. . . as for character I suspect the s58 will have less character than the s55...I had a car with the b58 and there is something synthetic about that engine, i suspect the s58 also has that synthetic feel...
Baege

Hope like hell you are wrong . . . I submitted build for G80 M3C and counting on the S58 to be a dynamo

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Baege

Hope like hell you are wrong . . . I submitted build for G80 M3C and counting on the S58 to be a dynamo

///AVM
I've only got experience with the X3/4M, so I'm patiently waiting to see how thing is paired to 3 pedals and something smaller like the M3/4.

What spec did you go with?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #11
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've only got experience with the X3/4M, so I'm patiently waiting to see how thing is paired to 3 pedals and something smaller like the M3/4.

Thank you W///

Here is my build . . . will add ///M parts once available, the most significant of which will be MP Coilovers/HAS to get rid of the enormous fender-to-tire gaps.

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
W///7485.00
Kankles1484.50
      11-19-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:

congrats. you're going to love SO color.
      11-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #13
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you W///

Here is my build . . . will add ///M parts once available, the most significant of which will be MP Coilovers/HAS to get rid of the enormous fender-to-tire gaps.

///AVM
curious. what's in your garage other than the M2C and now this upcoming order.
      11-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
Garage

I shared my journey in the M2C Share Your Journey thread. . . but it is a long thread and I know you are relatively new to the sub-forum.

Briefly . . . I am a Porsche guy. M2C drew me to BMW lineup. Simultaneously owned 718 CGTS and M2C for a brief time before realizing having two visceral cars did not equate to twice the fun. I decided to sell the Porsche. For a while, at least, I am now BMW guy.

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      11-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #15
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

scoale

Apologies . . . did not intend to derail your thread. Just kind of happens from time to time.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #16
scoale
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
scoale

Apologies . . . did not intend to derail your thread. Just kind of happens from time to time.

///AVM
No worries!! All interesting to me
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #17
scoale
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Added pictures
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #18
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Congrats on the new car. It looks great!
I would honestly recommend simply driving it for the first few miles, maybe until the break in period, completely stock. You never know, maybe you don't really need to change the wheels or do this or do that. You might enjoy the car right out of the box.
Feel free to send me a 2% check of the money you would have spent on those mods.
scoale682.00
      11-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #19
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Damn, y'all are getting 2k off in NorCal? I feel dumb for going down to SoCal for 3k off now...

Although mine was a custom order and not dealer stock. Impossible to find HS/6MT on the lot .

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #20
KillerExcessive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 6MT F80 6MT F87 6MT G82CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Damn, y'all are getting 2k off in NorCal? I feel dumb for going down to SoCal for 3k off now...

Although mine was a custom order and not dealer stock. Impossible to find HS/6MT on the lot .

Enjoy!
Don't feel bad. I flew down to SoCal for my F80 back in the day as well. I personally found Bay Area BMW dealer attitudes insufferable- it's a BMW, not a frigging Bentley. Ironically enough, my salesman was someone I met in the bay who decided to move back to LA.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 11:47 PM   #21
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Garage

I shared my journey in the M2C Share Your Journey thread. . . but it is a long thread and I know you are relatively new to the sub-forum.

Briefly . . . I am a Porsche guy. M2C drew me to BMW lineup. Simultaneously owned 718 CGTS and M2C for a brief time before realizing having two visceral cars did not equate to twice the fun. I decided to sell the Porsche. For a while, at least, I am now BMW guy.

///AVM
love the Cayman platform. thinking about selling my S2000s and getting one instead.
///AVM2529.50
      11-20-2020, 04:58 AM   #22
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
love the Cayman platform. thinking about selling my S2000s and getting one instead.
Garage

718 CGTS is the best sport car I have owned.

M2C is the best/favorite car I have owned.

In other words, both awesome cars.

I simply did not enjoy owing both simultaneously. . . and decided I did not want to part ways with the M2C.

If you decide to get a 981/718, I have no doubt you will REALLY enjoy what it has to offer.

///AVM
Appreciate 0