BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Lighter wheels vs coilovers

08-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: old: E90 335i E46 M3 new: M2C

Lighter wheels vs coilovers

I'll be swithching out the stock Michelins to RE71rs (265/35/19 up front and 285/35/19 in the rear). I know there will be some rubbing up front with the 265s and will address it with a heat gun to help reshape the liner. Will be mounting these on the stock 788Ms that came w/ the car.

Seeking thoughts on whether second mod on my car should be lighter wheels or coilovers. Considering a eithr a set of the Titan T-S5 (19x9.5 +27 and 19x10.5 +44) that will knock off approx. 20 lbs all around vs OEM 788Ms or picking up a set of the TC Kline Single Adjustable Front/ Dual Adjustable coilover kit which comes w/ camber plates (http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs...etails1161.cfm). Both mods will be in right around $3K cost ball park.

I'm planning to use the car in local auto-x, HPDE, and weekend drives with local car clubs here in the Seattle area. Not looking to be competitive in SCCA classes for the car (BS or STU) nor am I looking to set blazing fast lap times. I really looking to increase the fun factor of the car and address some gaps coming out of the factory (e.g. not enough tire for the power the S55 puts out and no adjustable suspension from the factory).

Appreciate everyone's thoughts and help.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Coilovers, camber plates, and a good alignment will do more than lighter wheels. It also balance ur tire wear hopefully.

If you want a cheap sprung weight upgrade look for an M2/3/4 blue caliper brake set (1-2k 2nd hand new) and 513M wheels (1-2k). Then you can run 18s and the 513Ms are pretty light.

The calipers and brakes are also lighter without much of a stopping penalty (esp for short drive and with pads and fluid).
      08-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Apologies if you know all this already...

If HPDE is something you plan to do more than a couple times per year, I’d recommend brake pads (Must have), brake fluid (Fresh at minimum, performance preferably), camber plates( stock front suspension isn’t adjustable), and a good alignment (take advantage of the camber plates to maximize grip and life of your tires) before doing coil-overs or wheels. Then you’re well covered for hitting the track while you figure out what you feel like the car needs next to work for you.

I ran this way for the first year+, and later switched to both a dedicated track wheel set, and coilovers as budget allowed.

I know Ground Control sells camber plates that can later be updated to work with coilovers first hand. Not sure about Millway or TCKline.

If you already have plans in this space, then I agree with Megator on suspension first.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your replies. @bentom2 - I autocross more than trackdays and have been taken out the M2 to several events since last summer. Choosing the RE71Rs for tires was mainly driven by it being the autocross tire of choice that’s available in 19s. Aside from better tires and more negative camber up front, I feel like the rear of the car could benefit from better dampening to help put the power down, thus the reason I’m leaning towards the coilovers route as oppose to just camber plates. I liked how the GC coilovers kit with Konis felt on my old E46 M3 so I’m trying to mimic that feel on the road and on the track with the M2.

@Megator - if there was a big downside to the supposed upgrades that came the M2C, its the 2NH brakes being standard which made it impossible to use 18’s. I’ll have to check out the M2 standard brake conversion you mentioned. I’m jealous of the OG M2 guys that are able to run 285s up front with 18s.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      08-04-2020, 01:39 AM   #5
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinewhiteM2C View Post
Thanks for your replies. @bentom2 - I autocross more than trackdays and have been taken out the M2 to several events since last summer. Choosing the RE71Rs for tires was mainly driven by it being the autocross tire of choice that’s available in 19s. Aside from better tires and more negative camber up front, I feel like the rear of the car could benefit from better dampening to help put the power down, thus the reason I’m leaning towards the coilovers route as oppose to just camber plates. I liked how the GC coilovers kit with Konis felt on my old E46 M3 so I’m trying to mimic that feel on the road and on the track with the M2.

@Megator - if there was a big downside to the supposed upgrades that came the M2C, its the 2NH brakes being standard which made it impossible to use 18’s. I’ll have to check out the M2 standard brake conversion you mentioned. I’m jealous of the OG M2 guys that are able to run 285s up front with 18s.
Be even more jealous of the M2C guys in some markets that got the blue brakes as standard (me ).

Its a straight swap, just need discs, calipers, dust shields, hoses, and brake pads.

They run 285 up front? Ill have to look into that. The M2C has a brake cooling duct that might interfere. I run 265s of OEM suspension and 513M wheels and that is really the max rubber I would dare try with that setup. Camber and a 10" wheel should get you to 275/285 up front. My plan was to run a rear 513M up front with the right spacer and 275/35 tires square.
      08-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Be even more jealous of the M2C guys in some markets that got the blue brakes as standard (me ).
@Megator - definitely very jealous now

@bentom2 - just noticed you're local to me. Who are your go to shops to get work done on your car (e.g. brake flush, suspension bits installs, maintenence)? I've heard of Cantrell from a few BMW and Porsche folks I've met at trackdays. Any other recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
@Megator - definitely very jealous now

@bentom2 - just noticed you're local to me. Who are your go to shops to get work done on your car (e.g. brake flush, suspension bits installs, maintenence)? I've heard of Cantrell from a few BMW and Porsche folks I've met at trackdays. Any other recommendations?
I DIY what I can, but use Cantrell for alignments and tire mounting from time to time. My wife’s cayman on the other hand has spent a lot of time there for various track prep projects. They aren’t cheap, but do good work and are very pleasant to work with.

I’m still taking the M2 to BMW Seattle for scheduled maintenance while it’s under warranty as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

I would go with the tire / wheel upgrade first. The RE71Rs are awesome, the tire change alone will give you a lot more much needed grip. Not the best tire to live with on a DD. The OEM suspension is great, and if you do end up tracking/auto-x more, then do camber plates. I would change the suspension last, if you feel that you need to lower the car.
      08-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2joey View Post
I would go with the tire / wheel upgrade first. The RE71Rs are awesome, the tire change alone will give you a lot more much needed grip. Not the best tire to live with on a DD. The OEM suspension is great, and if you do end up tracking/auto-x more, then do camber plates. I would change the suspension last, if you feel that you need to lower the car.
Switched out to RE71Rs already and they felt so much better in the last 2 autox events. Have an HPDE event scheduled in a week so will get a sense on how they are on the track. Will use the rest of the summer/ fall to get better acclimated to the car and plan out incremental upgrades for next season.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Switched out to RE71Rs already and they felt so much better in the last 2 autox events. Have an HPDE event scheduled in a week so will get a sense on how they are on the track. Will use the rest of the summer/ fall to get better acclimated to the car and plan out incremental upgrades for next season.
Report back re. your RE71R experience on track. They're universally praised tires, but I ended up destroying a brand new left front RE71R in just one day at Lime Rock on my GT4. The center rib almost completely wore away. I was running about 32psi hot--maybe a bit too high?
      08-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #11
imported_Riq
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2joey View Post
How is the fitment of the front tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #12
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Report back re. your RE71R experience on track. They're universally praised tires, but I ended up destroying a brand new left front RE71R in just one day at Lime Rock on my GT4. The center rib almost completely wore away. I was running about 32psi hot--maybe a bit too high?
It ended up raining this past Thursday so I drove my 18 STI instead of the M2C at The Ridge Motosport Park in Shelton, WA. Even in cooler and half wet conditions, the tires were starting to melt away at the center. Here's a pic after 2 sessions, the second one being semi dry:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dkaYHCmSF5hijfXv7

Hope next month's event is dry so I can test out the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #13
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Riq View Post
How is the fitment of the front tires?
The 265s was rubbing at a certain part of the liner so I shaved it and used a heat gun to further reshape the area. Took the new set up out on 2 autox events already and no more rubbing. Here's photo of area that I shaved and massaged:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jSBgkR9NMNwucHPz9
Appreciate 0