BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Owner Topic - MR from Czech Republic - M2 CSL Turbomeister Edition revealed

04-05-2020, 03:33 AM   #595
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great to see that car again!
      04-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #596
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Yep, that's an option... But not the most favorable. I will check how much weight it will save.

MR
Switching to a lithium battery saved me 48 lbs!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #597
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
Quote:
Yep, that's an option... But not the most favorable. I will check how much weight it will save.

MR
Yes but it's all from the back of the car.

I'm not sure if that's a plus considering its already a front heavy car which forced BMW to upsize the brakes. However if you are planning to add the carbon hood and other weight saving measures then it might make sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 02:35 AM   #598
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Another update after having swapped my tires from winters to summers. Brand new set of PS4S went under the car and I swapped around some winter tires. I now have the new set I bought earlier this year on my stock M wheels and an old set of winters for sale if anyone in Europe is interested. The FI-R's are running the PS4S now.

Next to this received my CTEK battery charger and only need to install it on the car. That is also sorted for the time I am gone. Easy.

Third thing is more crap, and has all to do with the hydraulic lifters. The S55 engine in my car has run 35K km right now and since about 3 to 4K km I have an interesting noise under the bonnet. The car has been standing still throughout October/November and February for a number of weeks. It moved and ran, but it never did long journeys. It was mainly moved within a showroom and storage.

The engine noise is heard on the top of the block. Removing the engine cover doesn't change the sound level. It is like at the end of the block and inside the head of the engine. The noise comes and goes after you start up the engine. It is not like every start up has it, and it is not like every day you have it. If it happens the noise is most noticeable around 50 to 65 degrees and then slowly disappears after which you don't hear it anymore over 105 degrees, which is operating temperature.

Interesting bit is that when I took the car from Prague to the Netherlands on a long run of more than 5 to 6 hours the noise is gone for at least 1-1.5 weeks. It comes back because the car is driven more on shorter stretches right now of max 30 minutes. Engine and the car operate normally. No other issues have happened. Nothing out of the ordinary.

What could be? Yes, it are the hydraulic lifters. Annoyingly. I did a bit of research and found out the car just had stood still too long, did not drive much and definitely not hard enough. BMW engines hey.... Lovely. We have now added an addictive with the oil in the engine to see if it helps against the noise. I drove higher revs for about an hour, screaming the shit out of everyone on the highway but OK at least the exhaust also had the time of its life.

All in all nothing too much to report. No track time, but enough time to drive my car freely here around town. You can do more here than in other countries. Few more little adjustments I want to make and then when the time is right, it is all about starting the Topaz Skin process.

MR
Someone had mentioned before using Liquid Moly's hydraulic lifters engine oil addictive helped quiet down/neutralize the ticking. Out of curiosity, is there actually any issues with the hydraulic lifters ticking other than noise? Seems like this issue is prevalent on the S55 engine along with some other German cars, but some people think that it's just normal with no negative side effects .
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 04:08 AM   #599
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Yes some other members have had this, but the S55 lifters are a common part with many other BMW engines.

I don't think the failure rate is any worse on S55.

Part 11337548690 for both inlet and exhaust

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=11337548690

See how many models they're used on....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #600
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
Yep I think I will be similar.

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #601
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Yes but it's all from the back of the car.

I'm not sure if that's a plus considering its already a front heavy car which forced BMW to upsize the brakes. However if you are planning to add the carbon hood and other weight saving measures then it might make sense.
Waiting for the bonnet to be available...

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #602
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
Someone had mentioned before using Liquid Moly's hydraulic lifters engine oil addictive helped quiet down/neutralize the ticking. Out of curiosity, is there actually any issues with the hydraulic lifters ticking other than noise? Seems like this issue is prevalent on the S55 engine along with some other German cars, but some people think that it's just normal with no negative side effects .
I have put the addictive in the oil and I am checking... I have driven 2 hours so far, but it is not gone yet.

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #603
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
For crying out loud... It has happened again. A stone got stuck between the brake caliper and the rim barrel. Not right, but left this time. Damn it...

I am done with it. I have emailed Tarox, talking to another supplier and going to call the importer for AP Racing. I am going to fix a 380mm disc with a 6-pots caliper. The lightest solution wins...

The annoying bit is that when I called some insiders following my rim situation, I heard that BMW M simply messed this one up. They know internally that in the design phase this should not have happened, because many clients have complained about it.

They are aware that the design of the disc, caliper and steering construction and setup is faulty and should not have been done like that. Stupid thing is that they had the same on the M4 GTS so I feel saving cost was the driver here.

But then again it is what it is... Not much else we can do. Another new rim incoming. With a 4 mm thick barrel any damage means a new BBS rim.

Onwards... I have more to repair. The engine still has the hydraulic lifter noise, the turn indicators are malfunctioning and giving errors, and I will try again and see if I can clean the holes in the discs. Gonna do a bit more work in the workshop tomorrow. BMWs hey... mine clearly is in love with my mechanic.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 12-13-2022 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 05:33 AM   #604
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Yikes! So unlucky. Sorry to hear man, hopefully those new AP brakes will sort you out and prevent this from happening again.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 05:49 AM   #605
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Stupid thing is that they had the same on the M4 GTS so I feel saving cost was the driver here.

MR
Ouch, bad luck - again!

But the calipers are Ok with 20" wheels like M3/4 etc??

It is only 19" that is too tight I think?

I sorted my tail lights, removed, cleaned water and muck off (and from inside) the electrical connector, dried it, filled with silicon grease. never it again since last spring.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #606
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Ouch, bad luck - again!

But the calipers are Ok with 20" wheels like M3/4 etc??

It is only 19" that is too tight I think?

I sorted my tail lights, removed, cleaned water and muck off (and from inside) the electrical connector, dried it, filled with silicon grease. never it again since last spring.
I am getting a different brake kit fitted soon. Investigating now the options.

Taillights I will have the dealer fix for me. We have warranty for this and the car needs to go in to deal with the hydraulic lifters anyhow.

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #607
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Taillights I will have the dealer fix for me. We have warranty for this and the car needs to go in to deal with the hydraulic lifters anyhow.

MR
Yeah for me I'd rather fix things myself (if I can) rather than let the eejuts in the dealers damage / break more things trying to fix stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #608
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
I am getting a different brake kit fitted soon. Investigating now the options.

MR
Stoptech too!
      05-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #609
Jarran
Fast doesn't always equal fun. But fun feels fast.
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp DCT w BBK

Sorry to see once again having your beautiful BBS wheels damaged by rocks stuck between the rim and caliper. I am also sorry I didnīt see this thread earlier, since Iīm taking delivery on a new set of 19" BBS FI-Rīs tomorrow.

Not sure if youīve posted all incidents like this, but how often has it happened to you by now, and how many miles have you driven using FI-R wheels? I was hoping not to having to replace to 380 disc and calipers, but replacing FI-R wheels on regular intervals isnīt exactly cheap either. Do you know if this problem is common also for 763M wheels and any 19" wheel paired with the big M Performance break kit?

Former BMW M2 CS prospect, turned M2C owner.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #610
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarran View Post
Sorry to see once again having your beautiful BBS wheels damaged by rocks stuck between the rim and caliper. I am also sorry I didnīt see this thread earlier, since Iīm taking delivery on a new set of 19" BBS FI-Rīs tomorrow.

Not sure if youīve posted all incidents like this, but how often has it happened to you by now, and how many miles have you driven using FI-R wheels? I was hoping not to having to replace to 380 disc and calipers, but replacing FI-R wheels on regular intervals isnīt exactly cheap either. Do you know if this problem is common also for 763M wheels and any 19" wheel paired with the big M Performance break kit?

I have the M performance break kit paired with the 763s. I drove quite a lot in different countries in Europe having covered over 22K miles including places with poor road pavement full of small stones, etc. Never had a single issue similar to the above.
Appreciate 1
Jarran10.50
      05-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #611
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think this can happen with most 19” wheels and the big brakes. It happened to both of my front 788m wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #612
Jarran
Fast doesn't always equal fun. But fun feels fast.
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp DCT w BBK

Just checked my 437M stock 19 inch wheels, and sure enough - after only less than 2500 km both front wheels have scratches from rocks getting caught between calliper and wheel. Found this post before touching the FI-Rs so they are going back. Now looking for 20” setup instead.

Former BMW M2 CS prospect, turned M2C owner.

Last edited by Jarran; 05-17-2020 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #613
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I am fitting a different brake kit... Working on an offering for everyone here that allows people in Europe to get a different brake kit sorted.

I have made a full overview and comparison between AP Racing and Nashin in comparison to the standard brake kits. The information will be released soon across the FB groups and here. I compared on price and weight. Just waiting for the final numbers right now.

My car is at the dealer now to get the noise and the taillights fixed. One dealer offered to fix it, but the mechanic (friend of a friend) was not allowed to work on the engine because his boss was saying no. They were not a M dealer, he said later. I was like #facepalm.

It is now at my main dealer and they will start Wednesday with the repairs. I am just done with it and want it fixed. After that the brake kit goes on followed by the bonnet, trunk and full PPS design.

MR
Appreciate 1
Jarran10.50
      05-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #614
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
News back from the dealer... Car is getting a new camshaft and head.

Now waiting for the importer to sign off the warranty case and the car will get repaired.

That will take max another two weeks, which is annoying but it is what it is.

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #615
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:

Now waiting for the importer to sign off the warranty case and the car will get repaired.

MR
Ohhhh whattt....Can the dealer give you photos of the damaged parts after replacing? Will lifters and all be replaced too? Sorry to hear that man
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #616
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

MR
Wow, you don't hear about that kind of defect often. Did they say what exactly happened?
Appreciate 0