BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bad News for the Tuning Community?

11-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #89
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyway of checking what DME we have to see if its with the new Bosch locked bootloader?
The only way is to check the production date on the DME. There are no software version numbers that can be checked as this is not BMW software but Bosch bootloader. So yeah, production date stamped on the DME is the only way to verify. Unfortunately getting the DME out is a bit of a pain. I'm taking mine in next month to have just this done.
Can't you just get the HWEL software version number like I did and check which version?

Version 002 for the bench unlock.
Version 003 for the new Bosch MVED DME?

There's a number of programs on a PC or phone that can do a software version grab, like checking iStep version... or am I missing something here? Would've thought there'd be some differentiation between the DMEs by software versions?
As far as I understand it the boot-loader code that has changed is not readable by software hence PTF asking me to check the DME production date (even after I shared with them the BM3 screenshot showing software versions).
Ok, so is your HWEL version the same as mine?
Not sure what HWEL is if I'm honest? Where do I see that in BM3?
I'm not an expert on this, but it's a version number associated with each ECU in the car. It's obtainable using E-Sys software, I'm pretty sure you can also grab it using MHDs F series fault code reader, I'd have to check BM3 if it's avail (not sure on it).

Some of the expert coders will know more about this...
How did you read yours? MHD?
I found it with E-Sys, but I also confirmed it with MHD.

If you've got an Enet cable that you can connect to your phone/device then just download the MHD F series app (doesn't charge you to scan) and open the stock flash scan, it shows the details in there.
Quick one, does it say Version 3 if its the new Bosch Bootloader? Im having it connected up to Esta next week to check.
I'm not sure, but there is 3 versions of the S55 DME now. The early ones that you could tune via OBD with no difficulty, the 2nd from March 2019 which requires a bench unlock of the boot loader (everyone's familiar with this) and then the new one from circa July 2020 (unconfirmed so far).

Mine ends with the 002, I guess if it ends in the 003??? Speculating here, there's not much info out there.
Doubt it. Checked today and mine ends in 002 on MHD. Same version numbers available via BM3. I presented these very numbers to ProTuningFreaks and they said it wasn't enough to determine the version of the bootloader, only production date. So, looks like we have to take our DMEs out physically to check. Sucks!
Easier to see if it can be bench unlocked. Don't need to remove the inlet manifold for that etc!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #90
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyway of checking what DME we have to see if its with the new Bosch locked bootloader?
The only way is to check the production date on the DME. There are no software version numbers that can be checked as this is not BMW software but Bosch bootloader. So yeah, production date stamped on the DME is the only way to verify. Unfortunately getting the DME out is a bit of a pain. I'm taking mine in next month to have just this done.
Can't you just get the HWEL software version number like I did and check which version?

There's a number of programs on a PC or phone that can do a software version grab, like checking iStep version... or am I missing something here? Would've thought there'd be some differentiation between the DMEs by software versions?
As far as I understand it the boot-loader code that has changed is not readable by software hence PTF asking me to check the DME production date (even after I shared with them the BM3 screenshot showing software versions).
I'm not an expert on this, but it's a version number associated with each ECU in the car. It's obtainable using E-Sys software, I'm pretty sure you can also grab it using MHDs F series fault code reader, I'd have to check BM3 if it's avail (not sure on it).

If you've got an Enet cable that you can connect to your phone/device then just download the MHD F series app (doesn't charge you to scan) and open the stock flash scan, it shows the details in there.
Quick one, does it say Version 3 if its the new Bosch Bootloader? Im having it connected up to Esta next week to check.
I'm not sure, but there is 3 versions of the S55 DME now. The early ones that you could tune via OBD with no difficulty, the 2nd from March 2019 which requires a bench unlock of the boot loader (everyone's familiar with this) and then the new one from circa July 2020 (unconfirmed so far).

Mine ends with the 002, I guess if it ends in the 003??? Speculating here, there's not much info out there.
Doubt it. Checked today and mine ends in 002 on MHD. Same version numbers available via BM3. I presented these very numbers to ProTuningFreaks and they said it wasn't enough to determine the version of the bootloader, only production date. So, looks like we have to take our DMEs out physically to check. Sucks!
Easier to see if it can be bench unlocked. Don't need to remove the inlet manifold for that etc!
Bench unlocking and reading the production date stamped on the DME require the same level of work? Bench unlocking is actually more time consuming as you have to connect up the wires etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 04:38 PM   #91
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bench unlocking and reading the production date stamped on the DME require the same level of work? Bench unlocking is actually more time consuming as you have to connect up the wires etc.
No mate because you don't need to remove the inlet to plug in to the DME, just tilt the charge cooler back and unplug the DME connectors. A good tuner will connect up wires to the DME quite quick mate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
NathObeaN1304.50
Poochie9099.00
      11-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #92
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3username View Post
If you look at the video game 'mod chip' community as an analog to the automotive tuning community then it seems likely that within 5 years we'll see a very intelligent workaround coming out of China or Eastern Europe (the incentive structure is way better in these regions because USD goes farther).

I just checked and both of the outgoing generations of video game consoles have working mod chips (with some caveats) and they're 7 years old.

So based on a separate but similar community I'd say odds are good but timeline is not immediate.
The thing about that is it's easier to get access to a $500 ps5 for 9 months to do dev. Getting a m2c for an indefinite period of time is harder.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:46 PM   #93
m3username
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The thing about that is it's easier to get access to a $500 ps5 for 9 months to do dev. Getting a m2c for an indefinite period of time is harder.
They don't need an M2C, they need any of the new DME's to break the schema.
I think it won't be long before we see one pulled from a wreck and sold at auction or hell they can buy an OEM replacement through getbmwparts.com (M2 DME but same principle), it's not a $60K car, but a $2K computer.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #94
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3username View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
They don't need an M2C, they need any of the new DME's to break the schema.
I think it won't be long before we see one pulled from a wreck and sold at auction or hell they can buy an OEM replacement through getbmwparts.com (M2 DME but same principle), it's not a $60K car, but a $2K computer.
I guess that's true, to don't need the whole car to find an exploit.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:57 AM   #95
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Think I may have found a way to confirm if your ECU is locked... if your ECU is locked you shouldn't be able to access the BDC (Body Domain Controller) via Bimmercode.

Can someone confirm? Don't have access to car right now!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #96
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Think I may have found a way to confirm if your ECU is locked... if your ECU is locked you shouldn't be able to access the BDC (Body Domain Controller) via Bimmercode.

Where is BDC? I don't see it in demo mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #97
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
Quote:

Where is BDC? I don't see it in demo mode.
It's not in demo mode, I am not even sure if it's available for S55/F-series. I saw some posts on Toyota forum for B58 models. Those who are not able to access the BDC with the new Supra's appear to indicate the ECU is locked.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #98
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c f87 S55

Garage List
Just so everyone knows. Today I took off my DME and Bootmod was willing to unlock it for free as long as I pay shipping. I was not able to flash tune due to the DME being locked by BMW but apparently Pro tuning freaks - Bootmod has a way around that and they were very helpful with the process
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #99
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFEA View Post
Just so everyone knows. Today I took off my DME and Bootmod was willing to unlock it for free as long as I pay shipping. I was not able to flash tune due to the DME being locked by BMW but apparently Pro tuning freaks - Bootmod has a way around that and they were very helpful with the process
this is not the same thing this thread is talking about. you are talking about the same lock that's been around and bench unlockable for a long time now.

this thread is about something completely different.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 04:34 AM   #100
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:

Ive been through all the CAF files of my car in E-Sys and there's no BDC ECU. I think the "BDC" in our BMW's is the FEM_BODY ECU, which is quite accessible in mine... that said, i still dont think ive got a V3 MEVD DME.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #101
RJD851
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 M3, X4 M40i

Sent a quick email to Carbahn today about a possible stage 1 tune on my week 41 build M2C. I mentioned that I heard about new software that couldn't be unlocked, and I would be happy to come down and pay to have them check out my DME. Here is the response from Chris the GM:

"Unfortunately BMW put new software in the 2021 model cars and we do not support that yet

It may be a few months before we have 2021 software available"

I thanked him for the response but did not push for more details. He was very quick to respond however.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #102
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJD851 View Post
Sent a quick email to Carbahn today about a possible stage 1 tune on my week 41 build M2C. I mentioned that I heard about new software that couldn't be unlocked, and I would be happy to come down and pay to have them check out my DME. Here is the response from Chris the GM:

"Unfortunately BMW put new software in the 2021 model cars and we do not support that yet

It may be a few months before we have 2021 software available"

I thanked him for the response but did not push for more details. He was very quick to respond however.
As with others, their response is due to the software now not being tuneable over OBD. 2021 software requires bench unlocking first. Not every tuner is willing to entertain this extra work/ don't have the tools necessary.

However, that is not related to this thread. This thread is an additional problem that even bench unlocking cannot overcome - encrypted boot-loader.
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      11-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #103
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
As with others, their response is due to the software now not being tuneable over OBD. 2021 software requires bench unlocking first. Not every tuner is willing to entertain this extra work/ don't have the tools necessary.

However, that is not related to this thread. This thread is an additional problem that even bench unlocking cannot overcome - encrypted boot-loader.
Just want to point out that Carbahn does do bench unlocking. A few members had it done through Carbahn. It was an option available to me but ultimately didn’t need it as I had the older software version.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #104
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
refer to the massive PTF S55 thread for all the bench unlock goodness. it's just confusing people by taking about it in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #105
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Somewhat related video on Tesla's new modification detection after software update:

Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #106
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

If I understand this thread correctly, the only way to confirm if your recent 2021 M2C ECU is tunable is by checking the production date on the DME, which typically requires taking it into the shop cause it's a pain to access?

Le Sigh...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #107
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
If I understand this thread correctly, the only way to confirm if your recent 2021 M2C ECU is tunable is by checking the production date on the DME, which typically requires taking it into the shop cause it's a pain to access?

Le Sigh...
Correct
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #108
kimbow
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition 2020

Encryption

So guys, does anyone know if the encrypted Bosch DME on later M2 Comps has been cracked yet? I have the full Akra ready to go on and await being able to map the car. Really annoying because I own the car outright and cant tune it to my specs
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #109
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbow View Post
So guys, does anyone know if the encrypted Bosch DME on later M2 Comps has been cracked yet? I have the full Akra ready to go on and await being able to map the car. Really annoying because I own the car outright and cant tune it to my specs
I can only speak to Carbahn. I had a recent convo with them and they believe they’ll need a few more months to crack it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #110
GregInNewMexico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Somewhat related video on Tesla's new modification detection after software update:

Louis has an excellent youtube channel. He is a really good tech and has great insight. Thanks for posting.
2006 325i
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00