Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
I'm leaning towards a new 718 Spyder or GT4 with money set aside for gearing. The sweet spot maybe a 718 manual GTS 4.0 as I get the powerplant minus GT3 front end with the convenientent softtop which is more functional than the Spyder's manual top. Plus you can get bucket seats in the GTS 4.0 but man that Spyder is the cats meow.

I'm a bit mad about cars so I'm trying not to got to the 'stealership' and enjoy the cars I already own for the moment. But my ultimate dream car has been a Porsche, so I'm not ruling out a low mileage 911 C4S but could only afford the mid engine platform new.

Need to sit with it for a while and decide which one to pursue based on how I would use the car. That would determine which platform and transmission to select. Thoughts?
You have done some homework, so you are off to a good start. You are setting aside money for gearing, so that tells me you are aware it is too tall. You have picked the models with NA engines, and the 718 steering is better than 981. And I agree the GTS is the sweet spot. Having said that, you are throwing me a bit with the 911 C4S. That drives a LOT different than a lighter, RWD, boxster. After driving both you should end up with a strong preference for one versus the other. Also, although many now feel that the cayman/boxster are better drivers cars than 911s (aside from the GTs), you need to be honest with yourself about whether anything other than a 911 will do.

Sounds like you need to scratch the itch so good luck!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
love the Cayman platform. thinking about selling my S2000s and getting one instead.
Garage

718 CGTS is the best sport car I have owned.

M2C is the best/favorite car I have owned.

In other words, both awesome cars.

I simply did not enjoy owing both simultaneously. . . and decided I did not want to part ways with the M2C.

If you decide to get a 981/718, I have no doubt you will REALLY enjoy what it has to offer.

///AVM
I'm leaning towards a new 718 Spyder or GT4 with money set aside for gearing. The sweet spot maybe a 718 manual GTS 4.0 as I get the powerplant minus GT3 front end with the convenientent softtop which is more functional than the Spyder's manual top. Plus you can get bucket seats in the GTS 4.0 but man that Spyder is the cats meow.

I'm a bit mad about cars so I'm trying not to got to the 'stealership' and enjoy the cars I already own for the moment. But my ultimate dream car has been a Porsche, so I'm not ruling out a low mileage 911 C4S but could only afford the mid engine platform new.

Need to sit with it for a while and decide which one to pursue based on how I would use the car. That would determine which platform and transmission to select. Thoughts?
I am in a similar boat to you, Garage. The Porsche allure has gotten me again and I have been debating between the GT4/Spyder as well as the 4.0 GTS, potentially the 992 C2S and even the 992 Carrera T! (Which most likely won't be out until the last two years of the 992 lifecycle if history is any indication.

So here are my thoughts. Let me preface by saying I do not have an unlimited budget and would really like to keep the M2C, because it is such a great daily.

992 C2S
- although it is a 911, with the build I am looking for, I would most likely have to sell my M2C to get this. But the issue is the "specialness" of the car. I don't think a 992 is all that special compared to the 718 GT variants or even the 718 GTS

718 GT4/Spyder
- there is not much to say after your thoughts. It is great, but it is costly. I am not a track rat and will not take my cars to the track. I'm more of a canyon carver and long road trip kinda guy.

718 GTS 4.0
- truly the value bunch because it enables me to replicate the feel of the GT cars for the most part. In terms of driving experience, all reviewers have said there is hardly a difference on the road. I also love that for about $100K, I can get the full buckets and some comfort features. But it does lack some of "specialness" I mentioned earlier. But it may be rectified by speccing Python green to add some uniqueness. However, I would be saving ~$15K compared to the GT4. That may be inconsequential for some. But I still think it is an amount that does take some reflection.

992 Carrera T
- may be the best of the bunch? You get the iconic 911 style, even better now that wide body is standard. You get the bucket seats and the specialness factor. But it is 5+ years away...

I also tend to keep my cars for the long term.

So where I'm I now? I flip between the two 718 variants daily. So who knows and maybe your journey will help me think through mine
Great minds think alike

Putting the 911 variant aside given the significant price point difference to the Cayman platform, I'm currently in this pecking order and much like you I plan on keeping my M2C for DD/HPDE but sell both S2000s.

1. 718 Spyder - it's unique, rare, and beautiful with GT4 performance, somewhat impractical but completely satisfying the inner child in me

2. 718 GTS 4.0 - would be happy with the GT4 buckets and engine similarities, bit more practical and functional softtop design.

3. 981 GT4 (used) - purposeful track toy only with upgraded gearing and basically a Sharkwerks type build.

4. 718 GTS 2.5 Turbo - with the right options a good deal to be had and a go and park anywhere GT touring Porsche with more play time with the M2C on track.

5. 981 Cayman/Boxster S - same as above but just much cheaper.

Strangely enough, the 718 GT4 doesn't make the list for me cause I don't plan on track duty using a $120k equipped car when I can get a slightly used version for $40k less track ready with gearing all cheaper than a brand new one. We shall see where 2021 takes me. currently I just need to drive 200 miles this week in the M2C so I can go past 5500 RPMs.... seriously
JCZ51482.50
      11-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #46
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

@GarageMadness only us car nut jobs would think about our NEXT car after only getting our current car 😂😂😂
      11-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #47
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
@GarageMadness only us car nut jobs would think about our NEXT car after only getting our current car ������
Isn't that the truth. Part of me is never satisfied with any care to the fullest extent. For me, it's a formula of having multiple cars for different purposes in life that complete the equation in mind...the dream lives on

Last edited by GarageMadness; 11-24-2020 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50