BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Am I the only one who likes the original M2 more than the M2C ?

11-16-2020, 06:53 AM   #199
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Im on the fence right now looking at M2 vs M2C for a new weekend toy.

I have owned two S55 F80 and while the engine is a powerhouse it sounded so bad in the end I couldnt get over it and sold them. Second was a comp which I had hoped would fix the bad exhaust. Tried aftermarket too. Nothing fixed it.

Anyway... has the M2C done anything to change the way it sounded in my F80? None to test drive close. I ask because of the comments above saying it sounds as good as the N55. If not its OG M2 for me.
I'm 99% sure there's an M2C at an Audi dealership in Atlanta, unless that thing sold. It's a Hockenheim Silver.

To me, this is very comparable to what BMW did with the E46 M3 to the Z4M. Same engine obviously, but the exhaust sounds pretty different. The latter one, just like the M2C, is less raspy to me than the F80. Clearly, you owned them so you have more seat time in an S55 than me, but I test drove an M2C and I'm in love with it. I had absolutely no problem with the sound. It's no S65 of course, and probably doesn't sound as good as an N55T, but definitely more than enough for me to consider calling the bank right now.

I also like the way these cars sound with the equal length midpipes too, so that's an option. This is just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't consider the M2 if it's not a Comp.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
dmk087315.00
      11-16-2020, 08:03 AM   #200
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:

I have owned two S55 F80 and while the engine is a powerhouse it sounded so bad in the end I couldnt get over it and sold them. Second was a comp which I had hoped would fix the bad exhaust. Tried aftermarket too. Nothing fixed it.

Anyway... has the M2C done anything to change the way it sounded in my F80? None to test drive close. I ask because of the comments above saying it sounds as good as the N55. If not its OG M2 for me.
I test drove both back to back last February. The sound of the OG LCI was better to my ears and was the deciding factor for me...plus I saved thousands by going with a car that sounded better to me. But I would have been more than thrilled to buy a new M2C, both cars are amazing. I don't see how anyone could not enjoy either.

But sound is subjective, so I really think you should find a way to test drive both before making a decision. If you can't, and sound is your top priority, then go OG...I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about how the OG sounds.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #201
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:

I haven't owned an F80, but I do think the M2c sounds a little better. But it's still not what I would consider a particularly good sounding car. After owning it a year, i'd say the sound doesn't bother me, but if you're looking for a car that makes you smile just from how it sounds, look elsewhere. The N55 does actually sound good, but personally I feel like if sound is THAT important, you might want to explore American options with a V8.
Appreciate 0