BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > How late can you cancel an order?

09-21-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
Rockfresh15
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92

How late can you cancel an order?

Well, I ordered it, and I've waited ever so patiently for almost a month now to get to step 2 "production is scheduled."

But...there's a few pretty blue Porsche Caymans that might've stolen my heart..

I was quoted at somewhere near end of October for my delivery, but it's been since Sept 1st, I believe, the car was ordered and I'm still on "scheduled for production" -- does that seem slow to you guys?? Seems like it wouldn't get here at the end of October..

Anyway, while I search out my perfect Cayman, I wouldn't mind having my perfect M2C in the back pocket. So, I'm curious, how late exactly can you cancel a build?
Appreciate 1
jkoral1016.00
      09-21-2020, 11:08 PM   #2
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Not sure how it works in NJ, but in Florida you can easily back out as long as you haven't taken delivery.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 11:27 PM   #3
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

What have you given, probably a $1k deposit? You haven't signed any purchase contract so you can absolutely back out at any time prior to signing at delivery. Depending on your state and whatever you signed when handing over your $1k deposit, you may or may not get that back too.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 11:31 PM   #4
Rockfresh15
Private
Rep

Hmm, I signed off on the retail order..not sure what that really binds me to though. Not super clear on the sheet. It does say "this is a special order not subject to cancellation" but I'm assuming (based on what I've read here so far) that this just means tough shit for the dealer, 'it's getting built, just sell it'..or is that tough shit for ME? 👀
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:35 PM   #5
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfresh15 View Post
Hmm, I signed off on the retail order..not sure what that really binds me to though. Not super clear on the sheet. It does say "this is a special order not subject to cancellation" but I'm assuming (based on what I've read here so far) that this just means tough shit for the dealer, 'it's getting built, just sell it'..or is that tough shit for ME? 👀
You signed a retail order when ordering the car? Interesting, I don't think I've heard that before. So you're already making monthly payments?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #6
Rockfresh15
Private
Rep

No, I'm paying cash (to the dealer) but again, I'm not sure what this REALLY binds me to..I just knew at the time I was actually 100% on it so signing things didn't cause any hesitation. Seems there would be further signing needed before delivery that I may haven't yet locked into yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 12:39 AM   #7
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

You can back out all the way up to when you sign the paperwork to purchase the car and hand over the money. No penalty until then. And these cars move quick and this car cannot be ordered with a bad spec so doubt the dealer will want to enforce whatever BS paper they gave you (the retail order) to sign.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:21 AM   #8
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, I ordered it, and I've waited ever so patiently for almost a month now to get to step 2 "production is scheduled."

But...there's a few pretty blue Porsche Caymans that might've stolen my heart..

I was quoted at somewhere near end of October for my delivery, but it's been since Sept 1st, I believe, the car was ordered and I'm still on "scheduled for production" -- does that seem slow to you guys?? Seems like it wouldn't get here at the end of October..

Anyway, while I search out my perfect Cayman, I wouldn't mind having my perfect M2C in the back pocket. So, I'm curious, how late exactly can you cancel a build?
I ordered May 4th and It will be delivered to the dealer September 28th. To give you a potential timeline of what yours might take.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

You can cancel anytime before picking up the car and signing paperwork, you may lose the deposit only.
      09-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
nzafi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X2

You can cancel anytime. The dealership I am working with actually had 3 M2 cancellation take place in the last couple weeks unfortunately. Where in North NJ are you? I was not fond of any of the BMW dealerships I went to so I ended up ordering out of state. Will either have the car shipped to me or do performance delivery center.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
Rockfresh15
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
You can back out all the way up to when you sign the paperwork to purchase the car and hand over the money. No penalty until then. And these cars move quick and this car cannot be ordered with a bad spec so doubt the dealer will want to enforce whatever BS paper they gave you (the retail order) to sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzafi View Post
You can cancel anytime. The dealership I am working with actually had 3 M2 cancellation take place in the last couple weeks unfortunately. Where in North NJ are you? I was not fond of any of the BMW dealerships I went to so I ended up ordering out of state. Will either have the car shipped to me or do performance delivery center.
Unfortunately, the dealer is being a real piece of garbage and refusing to give back the deposit. Its BMW of Newton. Any advice for recourse here?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #12
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the dealer is being a real piece of garbage and refusing to give back the deposit. Its BMW of Newton. Any advice for recourse here?
Did you use a credit card?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
Rockfresh15
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDONE View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you use a credit card?
Ugh no..debit card...
Appreciate 0