BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > BMW M2 Competition Insurance

08-13-2020, 03:57 AM   #23
Beenz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2CS

If you are prepared, take your quotes with you when picking up your car. BMW insurance is usually expensive but my experience is they will try to bring it down if they can. Might not match but can get closer to other quotes. 3 yr new for old too.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #24
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmunger View Post
And you think Shannon's will let you choose your repairer?

...Read the PDS - choice of repairer, but only if they agree with price, and they compare costs to their own unauthorized shops.
Sorry for my very late reply. I don't get on the forum very often.

It is an interesting point you have raised. I will contact the panel beater I trust and ask how they rate their dealings with Shannon's after the Stage 4 lock down.

I picked Shannon's because my mate works at a motorcycle repairer and they raved on about Shannon's. I think they also rated QBE well too. I am hoping they look after cars, just as well as bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmunger View Post
I went QBE and seems OK - RACV, Allianz are also recommended by repairers I spoke to.
May I ask what your premium is for your BMW through QBE?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:34 AM   #25
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz View Post
If you are prepared, take your quotes with you when picking up your car. BMW insurance is usually expensive but my experience is they will try to bring it down if they can. Might not match but can get closer to other quotes. 3 yr new for old too.
I didn't even know BMW Australia have their own insurance. I wonder what they quote for $110K agreed value, choice of repairer type insurance for Melbourne metro, rating 1 driver?

Do I have to go in to the dealer to get the quote or can I get a quote online somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:08 PM   #26
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Driver View Post
I didn't even know BMW Australia have their own insurance. I wonder what they quote for $110K agreed value, choice of repairer type insurance for Melbourne metro, rating 1 driver?

Do I have to go in to the dealer to get the quote or can I get a quote online somewhere?
BMW Insurance is underwritten by Allianz,

To update this, these are the best quotes I received from Suncorp and Allianz, some other ones were well north of 3k and others north of 5k p/a.

Suncorp - $2,641 incl windscreen cover / choice of repairer p/a, City CBD secured parking $1,200 base excess (+$800 on top due to suspension last year).
Allianz - $2,431 incl windscreen cover / choice of repairer p/a City CBD secured parking $1,900 base excess.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:39 AM   #27
Beenz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2CS

You can go to a dealer or there is a 1800 phone contact for BMW insurance. Allianz underwrites it and is generally a bit cheaper, but has a shorter new for old time.

FYI if you bump the excess up to circa $2.5k you can get the premium down to less than $2k per year. The saving can outweigh the increase excess and you aren’t planning on crashing anyway... I’ve done this on my cars for years, keeps it affordable 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #28
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

It really depend how much you value the finish on your car! $1k for insurance on an M2 is very cheap and you would probably not get a great result based on my experiences with insurance companies!

For example, I have 6 Ford Ranger utes in my business fleet and all are insured with Budget Direct. It is purely a pricing decision. My experience is mixed - Case 1 involved a Ranger that was literally 2 weeks old and one of my guys had a P-plater run up his arse at 80kmh whilst he was stationary on the Monash - BD refused to write it off and repaired it as it was $5k cheaper for them. Repair was actually pretty good, probably because they could charge the driver at fault and reclaim costs. They even invited me to see the complete new chassis on the jig showing it was dead straight, which was pretty good.

Case 2 was my daily driver, a lump of metal unsecured on a tray truck rolled off the back of it as it went up the Westgate bridge, the metal chunk went under the wheels of a semi and somehow flicked into my front bumper. Budget Direct made me pay full excess despite dashcam footage and (I'm not kidding) fixed the LH quarter panel, fog lights and headlight, but the actual bumper was only repaired where damaged and they literally painted that HALF of the bumper. Really poor they didn't paint the whole bumper, in fact the whole experience was pretty average but I picked the car up literally the day prior to Stage 4 lockdown so I was not in a position to leave it for 6 weeks... Meh, it is a workhorse anyway...

My M2 has some mods (camber plates/wheels/brake pads, etc for track days) and Shannons insure it. They were the ONLY mob who would cover it with mods (at least for the 6 or 7 insurers I called - most won't touch anything with any mods at all, even basic things like stainless brake lines). They assure me that "choice of repairer" means exactly that so long as the 3 quotes (I can obtain all three apparently) are reasonably close and if needed my choice "will match the cheapest within reason". I guess that is subject to interpretation / abuse but I hope I never find out! I've got two mates who have used them and both said they had no issue picking a repairer and it was largely hassle free, which gives me some degree of confidence...

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2020, 03:18 AM   #29
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz View Post
You can go to a dealer or there is a 1800 phone contact for BMW insurance. Allianz underwrites it and is generally a bit cheaper, but has a shorter new for old time.

FYI if you bump the excess up to circa $2.5k you can get the premium down to less than $2k per year. The saving can outweigh the increase excess and you aren’t planning on crashing anyway... I’ve done this on my cars for years, keeps it affordable 👍
I did try this but due to my suspension last year I'm not able to insure with BMW Insurance.

However, I did try comminsure and they are offering $1,850 p/a with $1700 excess so I may go with that.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 06:41 AM   #30
Seven777
Australia
Rep
Drives: Renault RS265, PRB Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostindumplings View Post
Finally pulled the trigger and paid a deposit for the M2

Now for the "fun" part - insurance.

Who do you use and what are you paying?

Male, 38, inner city Melbourne

I drive about 6-7k km p.a. (might increase now with the new car)

Cheers
My quote was $1900 with AAMI with a maxed out excess and 20% discount for being a established customer.

Budget direct about $1050 with choice of
Repairer. Seems ok
Sydney hills district
Appreciate 0