BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > MY2017 TPMS at the track

06-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #45
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

So what's the ultimate consensus? Get track wheels and run without TPMS?

The idea of pulling off after a warmup lap sounds really obnoxious and annoying
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #46
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

If you start will pressures below 27, skip them. Above 27, keep them so you can easily watch tire temps and pressures.

However, if you do not run sensors, you will be limited to Comfort throttle and steering response.

Your choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #47
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

I started at 28 cold and then just adjusted the hot pressure throughout the day as needed. Seems to negate any TPMS issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #48
TimOudin
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I've been watching this thread and was fairly concerned about high temps requiring lower pressures at Road America this past week. The first session out on track I had to warm up to elevate pressures above 26, then pull into hot pit to reset TPMS as anticipated in order to disable DSC. From that point on I just initiated a TPMS reset as soon as I started the car in the pits if tires had dropped below 26 psi, then was able to run DSC off without interference. Seems like a non-issue to me.
      06-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #49
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOudin View Post
I've been watching this thread and was fairly concerned about high temps requiring lower pressures at Road America this past week. The first session out on track I had to warm up to elevate pressures above 26, then pull into hot pit to reset TPMS as anticipated in order to disable DSC. From that point on I just initiated a TPMS reset as soon as I started the car in the pits if tires had dropped below 26 psi, then was able to run DSC off without interference. Seems like a non-issue to me.
I think this issue varies a bit from driver to track to temps. I think some of us measured a 2 lbs difference between the TPMS an our gauge. I had to start at 28 to avoid reset so this was too high....when I went to 24-25 cold I had to pit to get the reset. If the car sat too long (under cover) I had to do it again. I just wish we could recode the setting to a lower value.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #50
TimOudin
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I think this issue varies a bit from driver to track to temps. I think some of us measured a 2 lbs difference between the TPMS an our gauge. I had to start at 28 to avoid reset so this was too high....when I went to 24-25 cold I had to pit to get the reset. If the car sat too long (under cover) I had to do it again. I just wish we could recode the setting to a lower value.
Very true on that temp variance, TPMS is reading a couple PSI low from reality for me as well.

Point was that I was able to initiate a reset immediately when TPMS was showing a pressure too low warning and immediately disable DSC, with no warm up lap to increase pressures needed. It seems as though if I performed the TPMS reset before moving the car then it did not disable the ability to turn off DSC. When I moved the car first, it exhibited behavior exactly as described in this thread.

Last edited by TimOudin; 06-16-2017 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #51
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOudin View Post
Very true on that temp variance, TPMS is reading a couple PSI low from reality for me as well.

Point was that I was able to initiate a reset immediately when TPMS was showing a pressure too low warning and immediately disable DSC, with no warm up lap to increase pressures needed. It seems as though if I performed the TPMS reset before moving the car then it did not disable the ability to turn off DSC. When I moved the car first, it exhibited behavior exactly as described in this thread.
Hey Tim.

I've had both scenarios you described play out. Just depends on how close you are to the edge of making the TPMS mad, and all the variables that Twt mentioned.

I ran Watkins Glen for the first time today, was seeing 11-psi jump in the pressures, so was setting 27 psi cold and dealing with greasy tires on the last lap.

Last edited by ZM2; 06-16-2017 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #52
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Hey Tim.

I've had both scenarios you described play out. Just depends on how close you are to the edge of making the TPMS mad, and all the variables that Twt mentioned.

I ran Watkins Glen for the first time today, was seeing 11-psi jump in the pressures, so was setting 27 psi cold and dealing with greasy tires on the last lap.
I was able to get starting pressures as low as 25 with TPMS this weekend. I was lining up first so I could get out of the pits quick and do some hard braking to get heat into the tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 11:16 PM   #53
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Does anyone here have an enet cable for coding? I can help code remotely..

I took a peek at esys the other day saw some very interesting coding values that refer to the TPMS ( RDC ) system.

There's a few kPa value adjustments for "CAL" or calibration. I unfortunately don't have track wheels right now to do some tests.

I think another option for the non TPMS guys, it's possible to disable the "safety" checks, so I bet once TPMS is coded out you would be able to run in sport+ or traction modes.

I'll post a screen shot once I get access to my coding laptop again ( its at work )
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #54
Jamesembry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 M Performance Edition

Am I correct that if you don't have TPMS you can turn off the traction control or put it in MDM mode and traction control will behave the way it should in that mode, however steering and throttle will both go to comfort?
1986 IROC Z Camaro
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #55
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesembry View Post
Am I correct that if you don't have TPMS you can turn off the traction control or put it in MDM mode and traction control will behave the way it should in that mode, however steering and throttle will both go to comfort?
Correct....but I do take issue with one point...I think if you run without TPMS and the system asks you to reset, it will behave in Sport mode during the reset phase until it realizes there are no sensors then it will go to Comfort in DSC.
Appreciate 0