BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Pre-owned 20 M2C - how to tell if tuned?

11-09-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
DM2C
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C/S2000/F150

Pre-owned 20 M2C - how to tell if tuned?

Hello all,

I purchased a pre-owned 2020 M2C (10/2019 production date) back in April of this year and I'd like to know how/if I can find out through an app or logs or some other clues if my car has been previously tuned or not. Based on the production date, it seems my ECU may be "unlockable".

The car came with a titanium akrapovic axleback exhaust on it, and (after I got it on the lift and knew what I was looking at) a hackjob done to the stock mid-pipe.

The car was embarassingly loud and had some burbles but not what I've seen in videos of stock M2Cs.

I quickly switched the midpipe out to the AA equal length resonated pipe, coupled with the Akrapovic and I have zero burbles at all in any situation outside of a slight pop between high rpm shifts.

The car came with OEM air filters, charcoal canisters in place, OEM downpipes, OEM intercooler/pipes... No other modifications other than the axleback that I can see, but there is a complete lack of burbles.

I bought the bimmerlink app to turn the ASD off and burbles on/off. I tried both settings for the burble and neither seemed to make much of a difference.

Between the burbles and the car feeling a bit faster than the numbers suggested, I'm wondering if I have a stage 1 "flash" or something.

Is there anything I can download or logs to look at to tell if it's been flashed?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 02:56 PM   #2
bhong
Rep
Drives: NA

You should immediately notice burbles in sport or sport plus on a stock tune especially since you have an axle back. Stock power actually feels fast for a 400hp car but that's just the nature of the s55 motor. I have a Carbahn tune and they rewrite the numbers for the HP/TQ in the sport display to 560/560. I believe stock reads 480/480 so if yours reads anything other than that it's probably tuned.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:25 AM   #3
DM2C
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhong View Post
You should immediately notice burbles in sport or sport plus on a stock tune especially since you have an axle back. Stock power actually feels fast for a 400hp car but that's just the nature of the s55 motor. I have a Carbahn tune and they rewrite the numbers for the HP/TQ in the sport display to 560/560. I believe stock reads 480/480 so if yours reads anything other than that it's probably tuned.
Ah, my sport display reads 640/560. Research is showing that this is probably a bootmod tune of some sort.

I emailed bootmod customer service and unfortunately they are not willing to share any info on my car and what tune may be uploaded to it. A little frustrating considering that if it were a safe OEM tune of some sort, I'd leave it alone, but now I'm going to have to spend $600 to put a tune on the car that I really don't have a desire to, I just want to make sure it's running safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 03:09 PM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Did you buy it privately or from a dealer?

Maybe just buy a BM3 licence and put their cs or stage 1 map on, super safe and reliable.

Then you can tweak the burbles / rev match / valves yourself as much as you like.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 12:04 PM   #5
DM2C
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Did you buy it privately or from a dealer?

Maybe just buy a BM3 licence and put their cs or stage 1 map on, super safe and reliable.

Then you can tweak the burbles / rev match / valves yourself as much as you like.
I bought it from a BMW dealer.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and put that tune on it. Thats exactly the one I was going to flash to it, the CS map, and remove whatever burbles are included with that.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2023, 07:09 AM   #6
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
So no crank hub explosions?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 02:21 PM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
So no crank hub explosions?
Not seen any exploding ones yet.. but you never know...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 09:43 AM   #8
DM2C
Registered
Rep

So last night I flashed the car to the OEM M2CS tune from bootmod and definitely can confirm that it had a more aggressive tune on it beforehand.

The CS tune (not the CS+, havent tried it) is really, really smooth and definitely OEM feeling compared to whatever was on it. Before, it felt like the boost was ready to just spike to full target at any time and now when I put my foot down its much more linear.

I don't think the top end is much slower if at all, but the entire tune and pull of the engine is much more polished feeling, it's not so lightswitch-y like it was before.

I will admit, I do kind of miss the immediate punch into the seat seemingly in any gear/any time but know my engine is fully safe is worth the tradeoff.
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2023, 11:17 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep

The CS is only a very light touch tune over stock, as is the factory car, so really not much in it, but yes you'll be safe with that.

The stage 1 OTS I find very linear too, certainly not on/off. Very driveable but with great reach when you need it.
Appreciate 0