BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Oil Temp Cooling and Sports + Mode

10-23-2023, 02:03 PM   #1
ZCPMV8
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Oil Temp Cooling and Sports + Mode

Is it a good idea to put your car in Sport + to lower temps a few minutes before you arrive home to shut the car down?

What's everyone's opinion on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:11 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCPMV8 View Post
Is it a good idea to put your car in Sport + to lower temps a few minutes before you arrive home to shut the car down?

What's everyone's opinion on this?
Yup that's what I personally do, it allows coolant and oil temps to drop (given that outside temps are high enough - because if it is too cold the car will target higher temps regardless of what mode you're in). This in turn cools down the turbo, engine etc and ensure your oil doesn't sit at super high temps which can degrade it faster - kind of like how old JDM cars used turbo timers.
ZCPMV835.00
      10-23-2023, 09:03 PM   #3
ZCPMV8
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yup that's what I personally do, it allows coolant and oil temps to drop (given that outside temps are high enough - because if it is too cold the car will target higher temps regardless of what mode you're in). This in turn cools down the turbo, engine etc and ensure your oil doesn't sit at super high temps which can degrade it faster - kind of like how old JDM cars used turbo timers.
Ahh yes, I remember those days! My prelude had one back in the day haha. Ive been doing it as well with my M2C to lower temps, but kinda seemed backwards putting my car in Sport+ rather than efficient pulling into my neighborhood. Seems to make sense though.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 09:43 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCPMV8 View Post
Ahh yes, I remember those days! My prelude had one back in the day haha. Ive been doing it as well with my M2C to lower temps, but kinda seemed backwards putting my car in Sport+ rather than efficient pulling into my neighborhood. Seems to make sense though.
Comfort mode or the more relaxed modes target higher coolant and thus oil temps in order to improve engine efficiency.

Sport mode and sport+ modes target lower temps for better track performance (ensure the car doesn't over heat).

TBH I personally hated turbo timers, I thought they were stupid and I hated the wiring and the ugly gauge. I'm glad modern day cars with modern day oil chemistry dont need them anymore.
      10-24-2023, 04:13 PM   #5
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
The water pump for the turbos is also electric. So even when you turn the M2 off after driving it hard, the pump will continue to circulate coolant through the turbo loop until they have cooled down, also helping to cool the residual oil in the turbos.
NathObeaN1307.50
chris7197334.00
      10-24-2023, 05:40 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
The water pump for the turbos is also electric. So even when you turn the M2 off after driving it hard, the pump will continue to circulate coolant through the turbo loop until they have cooled down, also helping to cool the residual oil in the turbos.
I believe that's only on the s55 which has the auxiliary pump for that particular reason, and why some people may hear the pump continue to run for a bit after the car is off. The n55 doesn't have that.
      10-25-2023, 04:26 PM   #7
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I believe that's only on the s55 which has the auxiliary pump for that particular reason, and why some people may hear the pump continue to run for a bit after the car is off. The n55 doesn't have that.
Yes, that is correct; i was referring to the S55. However, the N54 and N55 both have the single electric water pump which actually might run even after the car is off. I'd have to go back and double check the technical documentation, but I thought I saw something mentioned in there that it continues to run for a short period of time after the engine is off if the turbos are still hot. Not confirmed, but worth the check.
      10-31-2023, 02:33 PM   #8
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
Yes, that is correct; i was referring to the S55. However, the N54 and N55 both have the single electric water pump which actually might run even after the car is off. I'd have to go back and double check the technical documentation, but I thought I saw something mentioned in there that it continues to run for a short period of time after the engine is off if the turbos are still hot. Not confirmed, but worth the check.
My '09 N54 135i did this. It would run the electric pump at low speeds for a while after shutdown if temps were high. Yes, the S55 platform does this as well specifically with the bypass pump.

Regarding OP's question, yes, even though we have a coolant bypass pump that will prevent heat-soak - I still enter sport+ when arriving close to home to get temps back down to the lower target, then switch back to eco once it's close so as not to piss off the neighborhood on the downshifts. Doing this also helps keep my garage cooler in the summer and reduces the amount of work my home HVAC has to do, regarding interior shared walls with the garage. That may only net about $3 in electricity savings... but more importantly, I'm more comfortable in the garage.

I also like to think the engine bay plastics would also last longer, without having to bake in so much heat.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 05:54 AM   #9
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It doesn’t make a difference in the end..
      11-07-2023, 07:35 AM   #10
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Unless you’re absolutely ragging it and then immediately stopping I wouldn’t say you have anything to worry about. As above re water pump etc. These are road cars, not race cars, they’re ‘idiot proof’ in that sense.
Appreciate 0