BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA Equal Length Midpipe (stock muffler and downpipes)

06-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #89
JamesinIT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C / Z4 3.0si

I received my non res EL on Thursday, I ordered the EL and new AA back box from Mike back in March; eta was then late April.

I am installing today woo hoo!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #90
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesinIT View Post
I received my non res EL on Thursday, I ordered the EL and new AA back box from Mike back in March; eta was then late April.

I am installing today woo hoo!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #91
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
So here is a question…I believe the majority will agree that AA EL will drastically improve the exhaust note for stock setup (OEM down pipes, rear muffler). Let's say…about an 80% improvement (cleaner sound, less/minimal rasp, cleaner like a NA motor).

However, once the EL is in place, what is the improvement factor by adding the rear muffler/back box?
      06-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #92
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
So here is a question…I believe the majority will agree that AA EL will drastically improve the exhaust note for stock setup (OEM down pipes, rear muffler). Let's say…about an 80% improvement (cleaner sound, less/minimal rasp, cleaner like a NA motor).

However, once the EL is in place, what is the improvement factor by adding the rear muffler/back box?
I'm dying to find this out myself. And/or what the difference is between different muffler options once you have AA EL as a baseline.

I'm hoping that over the next 12 months there will be other people in my area who get EL and a muffler pairing and I'll be able to listen to several setups before making my mind up (which could end up being to keep the stock muffler!)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #93
JamesinIT
Private
United_States
Rep

I installed the new AA valved back box and non resonated DP today. It completely changes the charachter of the car; low end growl, and is much louder than stock on MDM mode, but slightly louder in just sport. In efficient mode, its slightly louder than stock. I hope to get some recordings here in the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 01:52 PM   #94
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
I installed the new AA valved back box and non resonated DP today. It completely changes the charachter of the car; low end growl, and is much louder than stock on MDM mode, but slightly louder in just sport. In efficient mode, its slightly louder than stock. I hope to get some recordings here in the next week or so.
Did you install these sequentially? Meaning: the AA midpipe first, assessed the sound, decided it wasn't enough so you needed more/better/cleaner sound and then added the back box muffler?

IMO, adding both the midpipe and the rear muffler at the same time won't necessarily divulge which gave you the biggest ROI…
      06-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #95
JamesinIT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you install these sequentially? Meaning: the AA midpipe first, assessed the sound, decided it wasn't enough so you needed more/better/cleaner sound and then added the back box muffler?

IMO, adding both the midpipe and the rear muffler at the same time won't necessarily divulge which gave you the biggest ROI…
No, I did it all at once; I ordered them both from Mike back in March, got the valved exhaust right away, but took some time to get the mid pipes.

So yeah, no idea which was the better, but once I get the rattles (probably have the same issue that others have mentioned) I'll upload a video of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #96
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Interesting that you thought the back box and non resonated midpipe is only slightly louder in sport. I heard this setup in person and though it was much louder than stock but not ridiculous loud. Sound really is so subjective
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:03 AM   #97
Finz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 M Coupe, MY20 M2C ED Sept

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you install a non res DP or non res midpipe?
      06-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #98
ONLYACTIVE
Private
Rep
Drives: RAPTOR

Quote:
Oh no…that came out baad, unwise words selection. My apologies Mike!!

Everyone…FYI, my inquiries were always answered by Mike and his team. X-PH has a super solid reputation, excellent customer service and my previous shopping experience has been 5 stars.

I certainly DID NOT mean X-PH as a vendor…I meant to express my disappointment that AA is still working through the Equal Length midpipe backlog and has not provided their distributors a solid shipping date on the latest EL batch...my shipping date moved a few times.

It seemed to me, from the lack of new EL related posts, that no-one else received their EL in the last few months, so likely it was a 1-2 batch at the beginning or the year, and now production slowed to a halt…so crickets from AA, not mike@x-ph.com
To all our apologies for the delays, and Mike does his best to keep you all informed. From last year we have had delays and it just seems to snowball into this year. Our materials delay started last year and shipping of them also added to the equation, and getting enough material to build our products has been the issue. We use several different suppliers and everyone can't seem to supply on a timely manner. The ETA's we give are calculated on what we are told by our suppliers and at most times recently they have been delayed. Shipping has also been an issue where their ETA's are also not accurate making the delay even longer. So we are hoping very soon that we can get caught up and product will be readily available. We also redesigned the resonators so this last batch of resonator shipments were delayed waiting on the new resonators. So we shipped non resonated before resonated, so some who ordered later than others may have received theirs before if non resonated, but be assured we still keep orders in line. Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #99
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYACTIVE View Post
Quote:
Oh no…that came out baad, unwise words selection. My apologies Mike!!

Everyone…FYI, my inquiries were always answered by Mike and his team. X-PH has a super solid reputation, excellent customer service and my previous shopping experience has been 5 stars.

I certainly DID NOT mean X-PH as a vendor…I meant to express my disappointment that AA is still working through the Equal Length midpipe backlog and has not provided their distributors a solid shipping date on the latest EL batch...my shipping date moved a few times.

It seemed to me, from the lack of new EL related posts, that no-one else received their EL in the last few months, so likely it was a 1-2 batch at the beginning or the year, and now production slowed to a halt…so crickets from AA, not mike@x-ph.com
To all our apologies for the delays, and Mike does his best to keep you all informed. From last year we have had delays and it just seems to snowball into this year. Our materials delay started last year and shipping of them also added to the equation, and getting enough material to build our products has been the issue. We use several different suppliers and everyone can't seem to supply on a timely manner. The ETA's we give are calculated on what we are told by our suppliers and at most times recently they have been delayed. Shipping has also been an issue where their ETA's are also not accurate making the delay even longer. So we are hoping very soon that we can get caught up and product will be readily available. We also redesigned the resonators so this last batch of resonator shipments were delayed waiting on the new resonators. So we shipped non resonated before resonated, so some who ordered later than others may have received theirs before if non resonated, but be assured we still keep orders in line. Thank You.
Thanks for the transparency and I hope things start moving more smoothly as we get back to some normalcy. Are there any tone differences with the new resonators?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #100
ONLYACTIVE
Private
Rep
Drives: RAPTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Thanks for the transparency and I hope things start moving more smoothly as we get back to some normalcy. Are there any tone differences with the new resonators?
Yes much less Rasp, and we believe more acceptable. We always try to improve and make note of customer comments. Sometimes new products need adjustment or modifications and hopefully most customers will be happy.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #101
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

I'm running stock downpipe and muffler with the AA midpipe and it's extremely clean sounding to me. The sound to is absolutely incredible but because I purchased I have bias thats where others come into play

Everyone on cruises that I rip by them in sport tells me how amazing the car sounds. I get compliments all the time that they love the sound and how it sounds so good. Downshifts are mean. It's literally worth it but you gotta cut.

Honestly even though I get nothing but positive comments and I love the sound of It if could go back I'd get the equal length exhaust.

Take this for what it is.
      06-16-2021, 10:46 PM   #102
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Here's a clip of shifting close to redline til 80ish mph

I did a few drivebys but ran out of battery and the video ended early. Bummer.

I'll grab a cold start in next couple days. Spoiler alert: it doesn't sound good.
Are my ears fooling me or does this sound almost like a louder N55 from the OG M2...
      06-16-2021, 10:48 PM   #103
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've never heard an OG M2 in person! But man I love that video.

I hope more of you guys get your midpipes delivered so we can hear more videos!!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:54 PM   #104
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Wasn't really planning on doing any exhaust mods when I get my M2, but this has definitely peaked my interest...
      06-16-2021, 11:09 PM   #105
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
Wasn't really planning on doing any exhaust mods when I get my M2, but this has definitely peaked my interest...
I had it for about 8 months before doing this. I didn't think that the stock exhaust in North America sounded *bad* but I did feel a lack of excitement in the auditory department during spirited driving / revving the engine out. Of course I partly nerfed the car by turning off ASD the first week. I'll be the first to admit that ASD does make it exciting — but I didn't want the car lying to me by pumping in fake noise.

I second guessed myself a few times. The narrative on YouTube / by influencers has been heavy on M2C sounding bad. But I noticed that majority of those influencers are in the EU where the car has OPFs. I knew mine didn't have OPFs and therefore what those influencers heard is not the same as what I have. So should I be getting influenced? 🧐

In the end though I was honest with myself that with ASD off the car wasn't as exciting as "what am M car should be" (in my head) beyond 3-4K rpm. That conclusion combined with the hype of EL midpipe made me just go for it.

I've found the value of the midpipe to be phenomenal. It completely transformed the car for less than half the price that many back boxes / mufflers go for.

Long post but TLDR is don't necessarily rush into it. Enjoy the car for what it is and after a while you can make your own conclusions up as to whether you think it needs changes or not. And if you wait then I think you'll appreciate the change even more, if/when you make it.
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2021, 11:22 PM   #106
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
I had it for about 8 months before doing this. I didn't think that the stock exhaust in North America sounded *bad* but I did feel a lack of excitement in the auditory department during spirited driving / revving the engine out. Of course I partly nerfed the car by turning off ASD the first week. I'll be the first to admit that ASD does make it exciting — but I didn't want the car lying to me by pumping in fake noise.

I second guessed myself a few times. The narrative on YouTube / by influencers has been heavy on M2C sounding bad. But I noticed that majority of those influencers are in the EU where the car has OPFs. I knew mine didn't have OPFs and therefore what those influencers heard is not the same as what I have. So should I be getting influenced? 🧐

In the end though I was honest with myself that with ASD off the car wasn't as exciting as "what am M car should be" (in my head) beyond 3-4K rpm. That conclusion combined with the hype of EL midpipe made me just go for it.

I've found the value of the midpipe to be phenomenal. It completely transformed the car for less than half the price that many back boxes / mufflers go for.

Long post but TLDR is don't necessarily rush into it. Enjoy the car for what it is and after a while you can make your own conclusions up as to whether you think it needs changes or not. And if you wait then I think you'll appreciate the change even more, if/when you make it.
Great write up and I definitely appreciate all of the info I think I will see how the M2 is out of the box for at least the first little bit, but this AA EL midpipe will be stuck in the back of my head.

I wasn't really impressed by the EL midpipe paired with the AA axel back exhaust; I just re-watched it to confirm my initial thoughts. But the EL midpipe with the stock muffler seems to be the right mix to my ears. Best exhaust sound and tone that I've heard coming out of the back of an M2 IMO (Also just finished listening to your canyon drive! )
ESB1043.50
      06-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #107
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYACTIVE View Post
Yes much less Rasp, and we believe more acceptable. We always try to improve and make note of customer comments. Sometimes new products need adjustment or modifications and hopefully most customers will be happy.
Thanks.
Is there any way for existing customers with your OG resonators to swap out to the "new" style? Perhaps at a reduced price?
      06-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #108
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
Are my ears fooling me or does this sound almost like a louder N55 from the OG M2...
Mine finally arrived today!

Getting an appt early next week for install. Same setup as ESB. As a matter of fact it was that clip that got me to buy it.

Also just got bimmerlink to can the burrble tone after install. Thanks for lightening my wallet ESB.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #109
Greg094
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I, M2 Comp (ordered)

I received my AA non res equal length midpipe last Thursday and installed it the following day, and have had it on for about a week now. I ordered through Mike (wanted to support local Vegas business) and am extremely happy with the results! My car had just barely got it's break in period, and was at about 1,500 miles but I knew I needed more sound. I would say it's almost 40-50% louder than stock, I also have burbles on still. I like them, and didn't find them to be to overly loud. Plus popping right into efficient quiets it right back down to stock sound levels. Overall very happy and love the car even more, probably about the perfect maximum loudness I would want.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2021, 08:53 AM   #110
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg094 View Post
I received my AA non res equal length midpipe last Thursday and installed it the following day, and have had it on for about a week now. I ordered through Mike (wanted to support local Vegas business) and am extremely happy with the results! My car had just barely got it's break in period, and was at about 1,500 miles but I knew I needed more sound. I would say it's almost 40-50% louder than stock, I also have burbles on still. I like them, and didn't find them to be to overly loud. Plus popping right into efficient quiets it right back down to stock sound levels. Overall very happy and love the car even more, probably about the perfect maximum loudness I would want.
Thank you for your support, I'm glad to hear you happy with the midpipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0