BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA Equal Length Midpipe (stock muffler and downpipes)

05-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #67
sai_dee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: crapmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Thanks Mike…curious George here…wondering, are you aware of what is impacting the EL production vs the single midpipe or the valved backbox? Are you in the position to comment/share with us what AA is communicating to you…is it simply, push the delivery date a-la Dinan???

AFAIK, all AA exhaust parts are still made of same/similar SS materials, and the EL tooling, molds + R&D are already complete since a few EL's are already in the wild. Not really questioning the state of things, it is what it is, and we will all get our EL if we are willing to wait long enough. I'm just curious and (secretly) wished that AA would be a little more transparent with their distribution network and their clients regarding their production concerns.

In my line of work, we too have experienced supply chain issues (primarily microchips, electronics, but metal parts are good to go) essentially impacting our current contractual obligations. However, our leadership team feels that we owe to our customers frequent updates w.r.t what is the delay, and especially what we are doing to rectify it (i.e. partial product re-design, switch suppliers, etc.). Still, the message is sour, but at least our customers are kept abreast with what our organization is doing (no guessing game).

While certainly valid many times over, some companies seem to leverage the COVID pandemic as an escape clause, or reasoning to not deliver per contract. We certainly experienced that with a few of of our vendors from China…while a Singaporean vendor stepped up to the plate to fill the void so to speak, despite them having some common denominator vendors with these Chinese companies.

The measure of a company isn't how well it can perform during up/good times, but how it manages their customers and products during down/negative times. Chiefly for this reason, Dinan will not be getting my business…

/rant

I completely hear where you're coming from as my line of work (construction) is heavily based on timeliness as well.

At the same time, and (not defending AA btw as I just placed an order with Mike as well and have not heard back on lead times)I think it's because they're not held by any sort of contracted liabilities to adhere them to a deadline.

I would say 99% of us who placed an order is just purely out of passion, our need for it to arrive sooner is because we want it now and is a luxury. BMW is not ordering these for their fleet of new race prototype M2s and if they were they would be first in line to get them.

So on one hand it's completely understandable we're getting pushed off as there's no other EL mid pipe to my knowledge, but on the other hand the silence is deafening.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #68
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks Mike…curious George here…wondering, are you aware of what is impacting the EL production vs the single midpipe or the valved backbox? Are you in the position to comment/share with us what AA is communicating to you…is it simply, push the delivery date a-la Dinan???

AFAIK, all AA exhaust parts are still made of same/similar SS materials, and the EL tooling, molds + R&D are already complete since a few EL's are already in the wild. Not really questioning the state of things, it is what it is, and we will all get our EL if we are willing to wait long enough. I'm just curious and (secretly) wished that AA would be a little more transparent with their distribution network and their clients regarding their production concerns.

In my line of work, we too have experienced supply chain issues (primarily microchips, electronics, but metal parts are good to go) essentially impacting our current contractual obligations. However, our leadership team feels that we owe to our customers frequent updates w.r.t what is the delay, and especially what we are doing to rectify it (i.e. partial product re-design, switch suppliers, etc.). Still, the message is sour, but at least our customers are kept abreast with what our organization is doing (no guessing game).

While certainly valid many times over, some companies seem to leverage the COVID pandemic as an escape clause, or reasoning to not deliver per contract. We certainly experienced that with a few of of our vendors from China…while a Singaporean vendor stepped up to the plate to fill the void so to speak, despite them having some common denominator vendors with these Chinese companies.

The measure of a company isn't how well it can perform during up/good times, but how it manages their customers and products during down/negative times. Chiefly for this reason, Dinan will not be getting my business…

/rant

Im not aware of the details, it's best to check with Active directly as I don't want to make assumptions that might not be true.

I do know Equal length is in very high demand, the shipments are sold out before they even arrive. It looks like Active is having trouble keeping up with the rate of demand in these current conditions.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #69
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

/rant

Im not aware of the details, it's best to check with Active directly as I don't want to make assumptions that might not be true.

I do know Equal length is in very high demand, the shipments are sold out before they even arrive. It looks like Active is having trouble keeping up with the rate of demand in these current conditions.
Thanks Mike…we appreciate your ongoing support!

Me thinks I need that bee's knees of a midpipe on my M2C ASAP… so I suppose I need to step away from this forum and stop thinking about the EL that a few of us ordered months ago…

PS my current exhaust sounds rather decent (ie better than stock) ever since I've coded out the burbles via BimmerLink last summer, so for those awaiting this EL, might want to look into this simple mod for some exhaust sound improvement
      05-28-2021, 09:52 PM   #70
StephGOD
KYHOMPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only BMW's Ja

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
2017 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Last i checked the single midpipes are in stock, same for the valved rear section
Just another data point in regards to AA's new valved rear section for the M2C. I placed my order through x-ph.com back on May 9th and haven't received any sort of shipping confirmation from AA yet so it seems these aren't as readily available as suggested.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #71
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephGOD View Post
Just another data point in regards to AA's new valved rear section for the M2C. I placed my order through x-ph.com back on May 9th and haven't received any sort of shipping confirmation from AA yet so it seems these aren't as readily available as suggested.
dm me your order number and I'll check for an update

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 02:04 AM   #72
StephGOD
KYHOMPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only BMW's Ja

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
2017 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
dm me your order number and I'll check for an update
Hey Mike - I already did last Friday if you recall. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 09:49 AM   #73
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephGOD View Post
Hey Mike - I already did last Friday if you recall. Thanks
Just looked it up, it looks like we spoke on Thursday. I contacted Active for an update. They are closed on the weekend and today is Memorial day, they are closed as well. I will have an update for you either Tuesday or Wednesday

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 03:24 PM   #74
jrodrg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: none yet

Quote:

The June ETA might be for new orders only, I'm double-checking with AA, and I'll confirm very soon
What do you mean new orders?

I would assume placing an order in April I would be on the June shipment?

resonated ordered

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #75
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodrg View Post
What do you mean new orders?

I would assume placing an order in April I would be on the June shipment?

resonated ordered

Thanks

Per Active resonated are shipping early to mid July (new and old orders )

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #76
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Holy smokes....I know a buddy of mine picked up a F80 last month and already got his EL for his F80. I don't know who or where he ordered from, but I just don't understand how he got his well before mine, and I told him about the EL in the first place!

Very frustrating...

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #77
Stryyker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 LBB M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Holy smokes....I know a buddy of mine picked up a F80 last month and already got his EL for his F80. I don't know who or where he ordered from, but I just don't understand how he got his well before mine, and I told him about the EL in the first place!

Very frustrating...
To my understanding the EL for the F80 is slightly different than the M2C and the supply for it is slightly more caught up than the one for the F87.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 07:12 PM   #78
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryyker View Post
To my understanding the EL for the F80 is slightly different than the M2C and the supply for it is slightly more caught up than the one for the F87.
I figured that might have been the case, but still annoying to see him get his waaaay before many of us on here.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 07:28 PM   #79
GotMy2Back
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
AAEL + Back Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
I got my midpipe installed earlier this week! I'm loving it.

I won't bother trying to write up a detailed review. I don't have any past experience with other after-market exhausts & haven't had a chance to listen to other M2C systems in person.

I'll just say that I am really glad I made this purchase. Maybe I'll pair it up with AA's muffler (or any other) some time in the future. But I'm plenty happy with just the midpipe.

I did find the burbles to have gotten way too loud and obnoxious now so I coded them out with BimmerLink. I was never a big fan of them but after getting the midpipe replaced they really just went too far for my personal taste.

Here are some clips I recorded yesterday. Nothing fancy ... just my iphone. I recorded from inside with mixture of windows down and up which I don't think I had seen/heard before.

I haven't found the cold starts to be obnoxiously loud which I think I've heard others mention. I wouldn't feel much worse starting this up at night or early morning compared to the stock setup.

I am noticing two issues though. I am not sure if it was installation error by the shop or if this is just to be expected. Would appreciate input from others.

1. At very low RPMs I'll sometimes hear a bit of a strange vibration towards the front of the car. It's a bit unpredictable and hard to make it happen on demand but happens most frequently shortly after starting the car (even warm starts). It doesn't sound pleasent so I'd be surprised this is is intentional by AA.

2. Fairly constant creaking/rattling after starting from a stop (stop sign, traffic light, etc) I think it's behind me. It sort of sounds like it is coming from inside the car but I doubt that. It's quiet enough to not be an issue if I'm playing music but I worry this one might annoy me over time. Is this worth asking the shop to address? Or is it expected for things to start creaking after doing some exhaust work?

My M2C will be here in late August and I plan on buying the mid-pipe and muffler (from x-ph by the way) before the car gets here! I want to hear that stock weed whacker for as little time as possible!

Last edited by GotMy2Back; 06-01-2021 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #80
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Had a chance to visit AA facility- 5 stars

What a treat…I happened to visit family in S Florida, and spontaneously we decided to drop in and visit Active Autowerke in Miami.

We were warmly greeted by Andrew. Discussed at length the EL, its benefits to the F87 platform, the manufacturing supply chain challenges (SS 304 is outsourced from China and Taiwan), in house design and assembly. We even received a personal tour of the facility!!!

Active Autowerke - top notch company, I am happy to support them!

Without further ado…some pictures. All bunch of M2C owners will be happy next week (and yes, I am on the waiting list for F87 EL…I should get mine soon).
      06-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #81
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
F87 EL mid-pipes, non resonated being shipped out.
Attached Images

06-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #82
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
OEM muffler grave yard
Attached Images

06-03-2021, 12:36 PM   #83
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Valved back box for F87, shop floor, assembly work…and more EL's ready to go out.

Merry Christmas y'all!!!
Attached Images

06-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #84
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
EL midpipes…on the shipping docks.
Attached Images

06-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #85
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Did you happen to hear any setups on an M2?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #86
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #87
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Quote:
Negative…unfortunately they didn't have any F87s in the shop.
      06-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #88
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Checking my inbox daily now. Lol.
Appreciate 0