BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel locks?

12-02-2020, 08:10 PM   #23
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
nowdays who installs wheel locks and why?
I once had wheel locks on a Honda and thought it was a pain in the ass to keep the key safe and sound. Always though they were useless even though I lived in downtown Philly back then.

My M2 came with them and I was thinking I'd take them out when I put the winters on, but Poochie convinced me to keep them on since M wheels are always targets. I get that and I'll keep em on, especially since I go to busy areas and into the city.

Years ago ironically, one night there was an e36 M3 parked next to the above mentioned Honda in a parking lot, thieves took his wheels, and broke into my car to take useless stuff. I found the wheel lock key to my Honda on the seat along with all the shit from the glove box...apparently they didn't want my wheel and took the M wheels. So Poochies point was well taken. If I have the wheel locks, I'll keep em on.
Where do you keep the wheel locks? In the car? pointless they will break open the car take Wheel lock and take away wheels if they are desperate
      12-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #24
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I once had wheel locks on a Honda and thought it was a pain in the ass to keep the key safe and sound. Always though they were useless even though I lived in downtown Philly back then.

My M2 came with them and I was thinking I'd take them out when I put the winters on, but Poochie convinced me to keep them on since M wheels are always targets. I get that and I'll keep em on, especially since I go to busy areas and into the city.

Years ago ironically, one night there was an e36 M3 parked next to the above mentioned Honda in a parking lot, thieves took his wheels, and broke into my car to take useless stuff. I found the wheel lock key to my Honda on the seat along with all the shit from the glove box...apparently they didn't want my wheel and took the M wheels. So Poochies point was well taken. If I have the wheel locks, I'll keep em on.
Where do you keep the wheel locks? In the car? pointless they will break open the car take Wheel lock and take away wheels if they are desperate
Trunk. Don't think you can get in the trunk with locked car and no fob
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #25
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Quote:
Paranoia
[PICS]
Yep, and ironically that e36 M3 was also blue (I forget the exact color name)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #26
Fuji550i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 m3, E60 550i

Quote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw%...n&tbm=isch
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:38 PM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Keeping the BMW wheel lock key and separate wheel lock key together at the same spot, ain't smart.

Hide each in different spots + remember where. Plenty of spots available.

Not gonna tell you where mine are located.

Many moons ago a friend told me the story of bad folks who had removed all regular bolts of Porsche wheels, leaving the wheel lock bolts in place. So the car was sitting on 4 bolts: 1 per wheel. Unknown whether it was a failed wheel theft with thief/thieves who got frustrated or whether it was pure vandalism. The story goes that the Porsche didn't get far once the owner drove off in the morning...
      12-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #28
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Anyone get wheel locks?
For the price of not even a full fuel tank.

See here:
Quote:
AFAIK every F87 M2 iteration came/comes stock with one BMW wheel lock on each wheel (well, at least the EURO-spec ones). Adding a non-BMW wheel lock per wheel helps preventing wheel theft by amateurs (who often have the BMW key set) + damage from leaving the car without wheels (rotors / body / paint). However, it will not stop pros who are determined to get your wheels (if they want them, they'll get them).

Tip 1: 5 bolts per wheel: fit the wheel locks opposite to each other, rather than right next to each other.

Tip 2: wheel lock key storage: imagine where thieves would look first to find the key and outsmart them.

McGard wheel locks (rumor has it that they are a BMW supplier) - M14 x 1.25 is the right size for F87 M2:
  • black head: 27226sub: here;
  • chrome head: 27226su: here.
Less than €55 + shipping = money well-spent on your first mod.

My set (black head):

Quote:
Just Google "27226SUB" and you'll find the black ones in the right size.

12-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #29
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Keeping the BMW wheel lock key and separate wheel lock key together at the same spot, ain't smart.

Hide each in different spots + remember where. Plenty of spots available.

Not gonna tell you where mine are located.

Many moons ago a friend told me the story of bad folks who had removed all regular bolts of Porsche wheels, leaving the wheel lock bolts in place. So the car was sitting on 4 bolts: 1 per wheel. Unknown whether it was a failed wheel theft with thief/thieves who got frustrated or whether it was pure vandalism. The story goes that the Porsche didn't get far once the owner drove off in the morning...
What do you mean by "BMW wheel lock key and separate wheel lock key"? One should only have one key for the wheel locks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #30
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean by "BMW wheel lock key and separate wheel lock key"? One should only have one key for the wheel locks.
EURO-spec M2 cars already come with a BMW wheel lock key + 1 wheel lock bolt per wheel. Dealers normally have the complete BMW wheel lock key set, so in principle they don't need your BMW wheel lock key.

For specialized wheel thieves who have the complete BMW wheel lock key set, it's piece of cake to quickly steal the wheels. Therefore, it's worthwhile getting an additional set of non OEM wheel lock bolts. I chose McGard (who, by the way, is told to be the manufacturer of the BMW OEM wheel lock bolts). A couple of 6 or 7 digit combinations possible. And if you ever lose or damage the wheel lock key, you can order a replacement key from McGard through their website (condition: to reproduce the key, you need to provide the unique code that's included in the packaging materials).

And so you end up with 1 BMW wheel lock key (OEM) + 1 alternative wheel lock key (non OEM).

Name:  Wheel_Lock_Bolts.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  361.6 KB
      12-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #31
Quicksilver_M2C
Go for it now. The future is promised to no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Is this the correct socket size for m2 comp OEM 788 wheels?

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-2...6967805&sr=8-6
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 05:14 AM   #32
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
EURO-spec M2 cars already come with a BMW wheel lock key + 1 wheel lock bolt per wheel. Dealers normally have the complete BMW wheel lock key set, so in principle they don't need your BMW wheel lock key.

For specialized wheel thieves who have the complete BMW wheel lock key set, it's piece of cake to quickly steal the wheels. Therefore, it's worthwhile getting an additional set of non OEM wheel lock bolts. I chose McGard (who, by the way, is told to be the manufacturer of the BMW OEM wheel lock bolts). A couple of 6 or 7 digit combinations possible. And if you ever lose or damage the wheel lock key, you can order a replacement key from McGard through their website (condition: to reproduce the key, you need to provide the unique code that's included in the packaging materials).

And so you end up with 1 BMW wheel lock key (OEM) + 1 alternative wheel lock key (non OEM).

Attachment 2474528
Ok got it, thanks. That's next level LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:39 PM   #33
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Wheel locks do work; whether it's a deterrent or actual hindrance. Wheel thiefs vary from your typical, young, post-pubescent shithead teen, looking for some easy money to an expert scumbag.

Regardless, for some regular bolts, it's nothing for them to merely jack up the car, throw some cinder-blocks under it and remove the wheels, without a hassle; it's really a matter how easy you want to make it for them. And M2 will have a market, as it would probably end up on some 2007 328i somewhere.

Then there times when it's just a crime of opportunity, where your car is at wrong place, at wrong time and they just pounce on it. It doesn't mean you are careless where you parked, limited public parking space, which might leave you with very little choice in the matter, it's just now this puts your vehicle in a position for easy pickings.

Wheel pirates, regardless of their skill level, would factually be slowed down by locking studs, that's a fact; the more locks, the merrier. I bet you anything, if you mix and match brands and have more than one set one wheels locks on any vehicle, they are never going to get stolen, that's not even a guess, it's basic common sense. No thief is going to sit there and attempt to remove more than eight wheel studs, being covert is the name of that game.

If a $40 set of wheel locks means it would potentially factor into a thief's calculated risk and maybe they might just decide it's not worth the added effort and move on to a easier target, I say it's worth it. Whereas, with an unguarded wheel, it's just really a matter of wanting your wheels or not.

One thing I would suggest is that you remove the wheel locks before you take your vehicle in for any service because all shop puts a powerful impact gun to the locking studs, over torque them sometimes seize it; as only a 101lbs of torque should be applied.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2020, 01:17 AM   #34
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Anyone have recommendations to be used with 10mm spacers?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:43 AM   #35
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I've just lived with the risk. I'm lazy and don't like having to deal with them when I swap to winter wheels. You have to carry it with you *somewhere* just in case. I'd rather the thieves just take my wheels instead of busting my window and searching for the key.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 02:30 AM   #36
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Your story nudged me to another fringe benefit of wheel locks; I'm sure it doesn't typically happen to the average Joe but if anyone has the inkling to sabotage your vehicle, by loosing the lugs nuts, a single locking stud would mitigate the worst from possible happening, before it might be too late to notice.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the thieves just threw in the towel and gave up on their mission. I remember one scumbag thief I knew came back from a fail caper and dejected; "WoW, he must really like his wheels, he had two sets of locks 😅"

Wheel locks are factually effective, I personally heard it from the horses mouth. Which is probably why BMW includes them with most new US-spec vehicle (on my last three BMWs they were gratis), since they don't want the bad publicity of vulnerable vehicles.

Appreciate 1
Artemis29374.50
      12-04-2020, 03:04 AM   #37
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
If a $40 set of wheel locks means it would potentially factor into a thief's calculated risk and maybe they might just decide it's not worth the added effort and move on to a easier target, I say it's worth it. Whereas, with an unguarded wheel, it's just really a matter of wanting your wheels or not.
As said before, it's less than the price of a full full tank. Double-step protection instead of single-step protection or even no protection at all.

Same goes for a scooter: do you also buy/add a chain to discourage theft ("you'll need more time & effort, so think again, thief") or do you simply rely on the OEM features requiring the scooter key ?

And compared to a scooter chain, wheel locks needn't be fitted each time you park somewhere out in the open - these are already in place. Zero effort (except when occasionally changing wheels). And of course these are also physically functional (wheel bolts as integrated part of the car, avoiding that the wheels come off the wagon).

It's also like thieves habits who randomly steal in an apartment building: when arriving upon a floor with two doors opposed, they usually go for the 'weaker' door or the unlocked door, to enter into an apartment. Usually they go for the door that is just clicked and not locked (using the trick with a piece of RX picture or a credit/fidelity card or a similar strong but flexible plastic, sliding alongside the door to open it without damaging it in just a few seconds for experienced hands). So if there are other cars parked nearby with fancy wheels, wheel thieves might change target.

12-04-2020, 05:59 AM   #38
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wheel locks do work; whether it's a deterrent or actual hindrance. Wheel thiefs vary from your typical, young, post-pubescent shithead teen, looking for some easy money to an expert scumbag.

Regardless, for some regular bolts, it's nothing for them to merely jack up the car, throw some cinder-blocks under it and remove the wheels, without a hassle; it's really a matter how easy you want to make it for them. And M2 will have a market, as it would probably end up on some 2007 328i somewhere.

Then there times when it's just a crime of opportunity, where your car is at wrong place, at wrong time and they just pounce on it. It doesn't mean you are careless where you parked, limited public parking space, which might leave you with very little choice in the matter, it's just now this puts your vehicle in a position for easy pickings.

Wheel pirates, regardless of their skill level, would factually be slowed down by locking studs, that's a fact; the more locks, the merrier. I bet you anything, if you mix and match brands and have more than one set one wheels locks on any vehicle, they are never going to get stolen, that's not even a guess, it's basic common sense. No thief is going to sit there and attempt to remove more than eight wheel studs, being covert is the name of that game.

One thing I would suggest is that you remove the wheel locks before you take your vehicle in for any service because all shop puts a powerful impact gun to the locking studs, over torque them sometimes seize it; as only a 101lbs of torque should be applied.
Oh so the wheel lock bolts need to be torqued to 101 only? That's good to know as I would have torqued to 140 like the rest of the bolts. Swapping wheels this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #39
GregInNewMexico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:

Great points. I need to reconsider wheel locks.
2006 325i
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-04-2020, 08:40 AM   #40
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh so the wheel lock bolts need to be torqued to 101 only? That's good to know as I would have torqued to 140 like the rest of the bolts. Swapping wheels this weekend.

Ballpark, you can torque the wheel locks down from 100 to 140lbs, without incident.

You just want to make sure the lugs are dry and free from any grease, since that invalidates the proper torque impact.

The problem lies when a repair facility uses an air gun to tighten wheel locks, with unbridled torque. Then when you go the remove it locking studs, the keys just snaps inside the lock bolt; trust me, that's a start of very bad day..

Wheel lock bolt over torqued https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1056121

So that requires me to be a little more proactive by having to willfully remove the wheel locks, before I take my car for any service. This is usually not a problem since I pack my own power lug gun, with a torque control, so it essentially taps out when it hits the set marker, no avoid over-tightening. But a torque wrench and/or lug iron can accomplish the same goal.

It's can be a chose by I don't tradeoff is not having to worry about any wheel lock drama.

Humble brag of my torque-controlled impact gun (I recommend it ):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #41
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Ballpark, you can torque the wheel locks down from 100 to 140lbs, without incident.

You just want to make sure the lugs are dry and free from any grease, since that invalidates the proper torque impact.

The problem lies when a repair facility uses an air gun to tighten wheel locks, with unbridled torque. Then when you go the remove it locking studs, the keys just snaps inside the lock bolt; trust me, that's a start of very bad day..

Wheel lock bolt over torqued https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1056121

So that requires me to be a little more proactive by having to willfully remove the wheel locks, before I take my car for any service. This is usually not a problem since I pack my own power lug gun, with a torque control, so it essentially taps out when it hits the set marker, no avoid over-tightening. But a torque wrench and/or lug iron can accomplish the same goal.

It's can be a chose by I don't tradeoff is not having to worry about any wheel lock drama.

Humble brag of my torque-controlled impact gun (I recommend it ):
Thanks Poochie. I have a torque adjustable wrench for the job. Now I just hope the lugs weren't overtorqued from the factory. No one has had a reason to remove the wheels so far for any reason, since I've only gotten 2 oil changes (break in and 1 yr service) so far.
Appreciate 1
blkonblk195.00
      12-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #42
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInNewMexico View Post
I think the M draws a lot of attention, so wheels will be hotter targets than say my plain jane F10's. I'd say its worth some piece of mind. Keep the bolt key hidden in the trunk. I dont think one can get in the trunk by just breaking into the car (without a key)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #43
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInNewMexico View Post
I think the M draws a lot of attention, so wheels will be hotter targets than say my plain jane F10's. I'd say its worth some piece of mind. Keep the bolt key hidden in the trunk. I dont think one can get in the trunk by just breaking into the car (without a key)
Is the trunk the best/safest place to keep the wheel lock key?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #44
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Is the trunk the best/safest place to keep the wheel lock key?
I think so. If someone break your window glass and gains entry to the vehicle, I dont think that you can hit the trunk button and open it. I'm sure Poochie will chime in here with the real answer.
Appreciate 0