BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Comp ownership - 4 days in and first impressions

11-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

So.... my brother and I ordered a LBB Manual M2 Comp, which we took delivery of this Tuesday via PCD in South Carolina. I thought I'd share my experience with the car so far and compare it to the other cars that we own which include a 2016 Lexus GSF, a 2008 Honda S2000, and a 2019 Mazda 3 FWD premium Hatch.

This is my first BMW and I'll start out by saying that this car has exceeded my expectations.

Firstly, I've realized that this car is more a GT car than anything else. I took two days to get the car back to NY and the M2 simply ate up the 850 miles. No one really mentions just how great a road trip car this is, but I wasn't fatigued at all, and the only reason I had to stop was to gas up.

The manual tranny is typical BMW (feels like every other BMW I've ever driven) which is a springy clutch and a rubbery shifter. The most irritating thing was the shift from 4th to 5th, which is pretty long, and sometimes the car thinks you're downshifting to 3rd instead of going into 5th, and throttle blips up the RPMs (causing me to get close to the 5500 rpm limit for break-in). It happened a few times but it's probably my fault since I'm used to the S2000 manual. I'd say the S2k is easily the best stick shift I've ever driven, and if that's perfect 10, I'd say the M2 is a 7. Not the best but definitely good enough.

The most annoying feature in the car is the auto engine on/off, bc it feels like I'm stalling out when at red light, and for the life of me, I just can't get used to it. It's probably less irritating in the DCT.

The suspension is great. As I said above, it's stiff without being jarring, and supple enough to soak up the cracks and potholes that litter the streets of NJ/NY. It adds to the GT nature of the car, but I now completely understand why people change the suspension for track use. A stock M2 Comp isn't a track "monster" but cars that are great on track are awful on regular roads, especially roads in the Northeast. This is also true of the transmission, which I think is geared more towards normal spirited driving, not setting lap times. I can imagine a manual M2 comp being less rewarding on a track compared to a DCT car. I'll contextualize this statement by saying I'm not someone who tracks his car.

This car reminds me of my friend's Doberman, which looks intimidating as fuck but is a total sweetheart. When you look at the M2, it looks like it'll rip your face off, instead it's a pretty docile machine. If I extend the analogy to the Lexus, the GSF is like a rabid golden retriever. It looks so innocuous, but it'll sneak up on you and feels significantly sportier especially when pushed. The GSF hates puttering around town, and really rewards you the harder you push the car, while the M2 is completely ok driving around town at 30 mph. GSF definitely has more a Jekyll and Hyde personality, while the M2 is pretty consistent no matter how you're driving it. Again, I'll contextualize that statement by saying that I'm still in break-in and haven't really pushed it too hard.

I brought up the Mazda 3 earlier, bc that car has one of the best infotainment interfaces I've used, and the Apple car play integration is seamless. By comparison, the M2 Apple carplay integration is awful, and I've realized that maybe the best way to use it, is to use standalone I-Drive and just get a magnetic vent clip for iphone navigation (waze, google maps) and bypass apple car play altogether. Maybe I also need to just get used to the BMW system and my opinion will change over time. The audio system is alright, the Mark Levinson in the Lexus and the Bose in the Mazda are both better audio systems, and I wont even bring up the audio system (or lack thereof) in the Honda. I do love how analog the M2 is, and for me, is one of the most attractive features of the vehicle.

Before purchasing, I wondered why there were so many low mileage 1-2 yr old M2's for sale on the used car market, but I now understand that the car may not have been what buyers were expecting. If someone is looking for a track car they may be disappointed in the M2 or if someone wants a more "techy" interior with multiple screens, electronic gizmos, etc. may quickly get over the analog and spartan interior space. I'd recommend renting an M2 via Turo for a few days before purchasing, instead of basing the purchase on a 5 min test drive and automotive reviews.

I'll end this by saying that before buying the M2, I thought there would be too much overlap w/ the GSF and the S2k, and it might feel redundant, but after driving it for few days, I've realized that the M2 does it's own thing and is a completely different animal. It's a great car, and with the awesome customer service I received by my CA, the great price I got, and the PCD experience, just adds to my satisfaction with the purchase and have changed some of the misconceptions I have had about BMW. I can't say I'll ever be a BMW Bro, but I really appreciate the M2 and what this car was engineered to be. I also want to acknowledge the Bimmerpost members, as you guys do foster a better sense of community compared to other automotive forums I've been on and you guys have been great at answering all of my questions and concerns.

Now let's hope this car isn't a lemon, lol.
Appreciate 10
BigKutta3896.50
JV973304.00
CFO277.00
DAC17170.50
Kattanah137.50
redgs4320.00
chris7197331.50
Madmat50.00
ADDONE230.00
      11-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Wait for the 1200 mile break in. I think you'll realize that the car also has a Jekyll and Hyde personality. It's a sweetheart of a car around town because it's fun to drive, no matter the conditions. However, once it is dry out and you're done with the break in, you'll realize that this thing is a pocket rocket.
Moflow2484.50
      11-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
The most annoying feature in the car is the auto engine on/off, bc it feels like I'm stalling out when at red light, and for the life of me, I just can't get used to it. It's probably less irritating in the DCT.
Isn't there an OFF button which turns off the auto engine on/off just above the START button?

You're in for a surprise. Just wait until after break-in then you can let her rip.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblk View Post
Quote:
Isn't there an OFF button which turns off the auto engine on/off just above the START button?
Yeah. It's above the engine start button.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Just turn it off, unless you prefer to use that feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I turned it off. Just commenting on how irritating it is on a manual car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Glad you’re enjoying it! I took mine on a huge roadtrip (Seattle to NorCal and back) not long after purchase and like you, I found it to be pretty great for that use scenario, other than the tiny gas tank.

The auto start-stop button is the one right above the start button, us Americans can push it to turn the system off and the car will remember and default to that setting the next time you start it up. I think most of us just leave the thing off because as you said, it’s pretty annoying.

Like you, I have no plans to track the car but it’s extremely fun on the street both at driving at 8/10ths, where the car feels absolutely nailed down, as well as in those moments where you just feel like being a little bit naughty. The thing is a freaking pussy cat beyond the limits. Incredibly forgiving when it comes to oversteer, especially considering the fact that it’s got 400 hp/Tq coupled to a short wheelbase. I think it’s the quick steering ratio along with the diff. It’s particularly great at gripping up progressively at the end of a slide. No tank slappers here!

Anyway, enjoy the car! I echo your sentiments as a first time BMW owner myself, never been a big fan but I just had to have the M2c.
Appreciate 1
CFO277.00
      11-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
JV973
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS DCT/MPE

I picked up mines Tuesday as well and got it tinted today. It's my first M car and I got to say, what a feeling. On start up its unbelievable and enjoy driving it so far, cant wait for the break in service.
2011 E92 335is AW/CR (Nov 2010 - Nov 2013)
2008 E92 328i JB/BL (Feb 2008 - Nov 2010)
Appreciate 1
CFO277.00
      11-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #9
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C (LBB+6MT+MR)

It's a great car and one that has been a blast mastering the stick on. I'm glad you're happy with the purchase and enjoyed your time at the Perf Center. I feel like this car has a tremendous sweet spot between 30 and 70mph where on curvy roads, it is as quick and responsive as anything else out there. I'm always looking for those opportunities to get it in that range and slide it around corners and pretend (safely) like I'm on a track.

Also, try to get used to the iDrive system. Paired with an iPhone it's as easy as it gets!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #10
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

I recently did the fulscreen CarPlay mod from kubax86 and it made a big difference to the usability of CarPlay with maps/Waze etc.

You can also code the auto start/stop to default to OFF from when you first start the car, use bimmer code or E-Sys if your savvy. I agree the auto start/stop is painful with a manual.

Hopefully when I get rid of the CDV it'll get rid of the clunky 1-2 up shift on power.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 2
Sublime001136.00
ASAP10131.00
      11-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #11
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
So.... my brother and I ordered a LBB Manual M2 Comp, which we took delivery of this Tuesday via PCD in South Carolina. I thought I'd share my experience with the car so far and compare it to the other cars that we own which include a 2016 Lexus GSF, a 2018 Honda S2000, and a 2019 Mazda 3 FWD premium Hatch.

This is my first BMW and I'll start out by saying that this car has exceeded my expectations.

Firstly, I've realized that this car is more a GT car than anything else. I took two days to get the car back to NY and the M2 simply ate up the 850 miles. No one really mentions just how great a road trip car this is, but I wasn't fatigued at all, and the only reason I had to stop was to gas up.

The manual tranny is typical BMW (feels like every other BMW I've ever driven) which is a springy clutch and a rubbery shifter. The most irritating thing was the shift from 4th to 5th, which is pretty long, and sometimes the car thinks you're downshifting to 3rd instead of going into 5th, and throttle blips up the RPMs (causing me to get close to the 5500 rpm limit for break-in). It happened a few times but it's probably my fault since I'm used to the S2000 manual. I'd say the S2k is easily the best stick shift I've ever driven, and if that's perfect 10, I'd say the M2 is a 7. Not the best but definitely good enough.

The suspension is great. As I said above, it's stiff without being jarring, and supple enough to soak up the cracks and potholes that litter the streets of NJ/NY. It adds to the GT nature of the car, but I now completely understand why people change the suspension for track use. A stock M2 Comp isn't a track "monster" but cars that are great on track are awful on regular roads, especially roads in the Northeast. This is also true of the transmission, which I think is geared more towards normal spirited driving, not setting lap times. I can imagine a manual M2 comp being less rewarding on a track compared to a DCT car. I'll contextualize this statement by saying I'm not someone who tracks his car.

This car reminds me of my friend's Doberman, which looks intimidating as fuck but is a total sweetheart. When you look at the M2, it looks like it'll rip your face off, instead it's a pretty docile machine. If I extend the analogy to the Lexus, the GSF is like a rabid golden retriever. It looks so innocuous, but it'll sneak up on you and feels significantly sportier especially when pushed. The GSF hates puttering around town, and really rewards you the harder you push the car, while the M2 is completely ok driving around town at 30 mph. GSF definitely has more a Jekyll and Hyde personality, while the M2 is pretty consistent no matter how you're driving it. Again, I'll contextualize that statement by saying that I'm still in break-in and haven't really pushed it too hard.

I brought up the Mazda 3 earlier, bc that car has one of the best infotainment interfaces I've used, and the Apple car play integration is seamless. By comparison, the M2 Apple carplay integration is awful, and I've realized that maybe the best way to use it, is to use standalone I-Drive and just get a magnetic vent clip for iphone navigation (waze, google maps) and bypass apple car play altogether. Maybe I also need to just get used to the BMW system and my opinion will change over time. The audio system is alright, the Mark Levinson in the Lexus and the Bose in the Mazda are both better audio systems, and I wont even bring up the audio system (or lack thereof) in the Honda. I do love how analog the M2 is, and for me, is one of the most attractive features of the vehicle.

Before purchasing, I wondered why there were so many low mileage 1-2 yr old M2's for sale on the used car market, but I now understand that the car may not have been what buyers were expecting. If someone is looking for a track car they may be disappointed in the M2 or if someone wants a more "techy" interior with multiple screens, electronic gizmos, etc. may quickly get over the analog nature of the interior space. I'd recommend renting an M2 via Turo for a few days before purchasing, instead of basing the purchase on a 5 min test drive and automotive reviews.

I'll end this by saying that before buying the M2, I thought there would be too much overlap w/ the GSF and the S2k, and it might feel redundant, but after driving it for few days, I've realized that the M2 does it's own thing and is a completely different animal. It's a great car, and with the awesome customer service I received by my CA, the great price I got, and the PCD experience, just adds to my satisfaction with the purchase and have changed some of the misconceptions I have had about BMW. I can't say I'll ever be a BMW Bro, but I really appreciate the M2 and what this car was engineered to be. I also want to acknowledge the Bimmerpost members, as you guys do foster a sense of community compared to other automotive forums I've been on and you guys have been great at answering all of my questions and concerns.

Now let's hope this car isn't a lemon, lol.
nice write-up on your first few days. congrats from another S2K owner. nice compliment of cars to have as I'm sure they all have different purposes. best thing about multiple car ownership.
Sublime001136.00
      11-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
papibigred
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 BMW, M2C; ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Wait for the 1200 mile break in. I think you'll realize that the car also has a Jekyll and Hyde personality. It's a sweetheart of a car around town because it's fun to drive, no matter the conditions. However, once it is dry out and you're done with the break in, you'll realize that this thing is a pocket rocket.
I grinned like a fool for days after I drove away from the break in service. She’s amazing now and as your wonder wanes, the hiding personality shocks you into pure glee.
Appreciate 2
Bumpinjeep5465.00
CFO277.00
      11-28-2020, 01:41 AM   #13
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Congrats and welcome!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:47 AM   #14
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

With the right tyres the M2C is actually a great car on the track just out of the box...lots of owners did not have the opportunity to drive hard enough to explore and appreciate the full spectrum of its capability
Appreciate 2
Sublime001136.00
wibmag0.00
      11-28-2020, 07:13 AM   #15
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
The auto start-stop button is the one right above the start button, us Americans can push it to turn the system off and the car will remember and default to that setting the next time you start it up. I think most of us just leave the thing off because as you said, it’s pretty annoying.
Thank god for this. Previous BMWs and also my Audi do not default to the last setting. They default to the factory feature always on, which is annoying
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      11-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #16
zhp4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT/coral red/THP/MPerf

Congrats! very informative and detail review of your experience with M2C.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #17
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Congrats!

It's just as annoying on DCT btw.
      11-30-2020, 09:37 PM   #18
2020m2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2

The worst experience I had was the first 1k miles. So. Boring.
After break in svc I have only driven in sport+ and the thing is a riot between 4000-7000rpm.

Also do yourself a favor and buy BimmerCode. Aside from all the fun little settings you can tweak it is worth the cost just to turn off the fake Active Sound Design. I found the car was kind of annoying with it and strangely left me feeling fatigued after driving it hard.

And I totally agree — it's not a harsh ride at all when you compare it to many sports cars.
Appreciate 1
Sublime001136.00
      12-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #19
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Congrats!

It's just as annoying on DCT btw.
It is auto disabled in manual mode on DCT though which I use 99.9% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #20
kiosko
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
Hopefully when I get rid of the CDV it'll get rid of the clunky 1-2 upshift on power.
Sorry, newbie here. "CDV"?

I received mine on Sunday night from a WI dealer. I had a 17 M4C DCT for 8 months that my wife took for a swim and was declared total loss about 3 weeks ago. Still in mourning, loved the car. I wrote up a bit of my opinion between the two cars in a different thread if you would like to read my impressions of the two cars in more detail.

The car feels very light and nimble for what it really is, especially compared to the M4. The ride is somewhere between comfort and sport settings on the M4, that is to say, it was not as harsh as I expected it. If this makes sense, it feels dartier than the M4 but does not crash as hard. The shorter wheelbase, the higher-profile tires? Not sure what it is, but it is more comfortable than expected. I think I can also attribute that impression to the seats. Much more comfortable than in the M4C that had the holes on the sides and no lumbar support adjustment. Can't wait to track it, I think it might not beat the M4 times, but will be much more fun to drive, especially with the 6SP MT!
Sublime001136.00
      12-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #21
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosko View Post
Quote:
Hopefully when I get rid of the CDV it'll get rid of the clunky 1-2 upshift on power.
Sorry, newbie here. "CDV"?

I received mine on Sunday night from a WI dealer. I had a 17 M4C DCT for 8 months that my wife took for a swim and was declared total loss about 3 weeks ago. Still in mourning, loved the car. I wrote up a bit of my opinion between the two cars in a different thread if you would like to read my impressions of the two cars in more detail.

The car feels very light and nimble for what it really is, especially compared to the M4. The ride is somewhere between comfort and sport settings on the M4, that is to say, it was not as harsh as I expected it. If this makes sense, it feels dartier than the M4 but does not crash as hard. The shorter wheelbase, the higher-profile tires? Not sure what it is, but it is more comfortable than expected. I think I can also attribute that impression to the seats. Much more comfortable than in the M4C that had the holes on the sides and no lumbar support adjustment. Can't wait to track it, I think it might not beat the M4 times, but will be much more fun to drive, especially with the 6SP MT!
Clutch Delay Valve. A little restrictor on your clutch hydraulic line that doesn't allow all the fluid from a clutch release through all at once.

Took it out of my previous MT 135i and it improved the shifts a bit, will likely do the same to the M2C when I can get around to it.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:06 AM   #22
kiosko
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Clutch Delay Valve. A little restrictor on your clutch hydraulic line that doesn't allow all the fluid from a clutch release through all at once.

Took it out of my previous MT 135i and it improved the shifts a bit, will likely do the same to the M2C when I can get around to it.
Makes sense, I’m going to explore that as well. Thanks!