BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Too Bumpy! Must Go!

11-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #23
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
It's totally fine to not like the car. It's really not for everyone.

The cars I think would fit your bill would be a F80 M3. It has the good aspects of the M2 but has a longer wheelbase, making it more stable at higher speeds. I would recommend looking for Competition models with the old 437 wheels as they are smaller and have more of a sidewall, more comfort oriented.
Or I would look at a m340i or whatnot. That car is more compliant over crappy roads and will have better soundproofing.

Or I think you would enjoy a smaller SUV. Smaller roads but also longer suspension travel and taller tires. So that would benefit you. Maybe a X3 or a Audi Q3/5. I honestly think this is a better option for you.
Moflow2484.50
      11-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #24
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmango View Post
I miss my 350Z, what a car!
Huh.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-21-2020, 04:55 AM   #25
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Thanks guys, some great input. A friend of mine had the Range Rover Sport, beautiful inside, but the build-quality was bad. The suspension failed; £5k to fix .

If the M340i's cabin is better sound-insulated that would be great. That's the favourite atm I think.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #26
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I've had my M2 for a year now & I have not enjoyed a single day of it & will be selling it. I miss my 350Z, what a car!
I was thinking of the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio; are they as stiff as the M2? I'll have a look in the Alfa forums but posting here as I'm already a member & there's bound to be a petrol head who's had a go?
I'm watching a review on the Guilia & typical Alfa; full of problems; so might not look at it!
OP, get the Alfa Romeo and let us later know how terribly wrong this article is.
      11-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #27
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Man card revoked....Enjoy your new POS Nancy...Bye!!!
I see you're still clutching for dear life to your idiot card
Appreciate 4
///M TOWN13117.00
admranger2981.50
M2Debt98.00
      11-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #28
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for your comments. I use the car every single day, commute on motorways, country lanes & town driving.
  • America - population density 36 per Km2;
  • UK - London - 5,701 people per Km2; Speed camera's on almost every single road. There isn't enough room on the pavements for people to walk on & the roads are in atrocious condition. Granted corona-virus has got the govt working on the roads, but there's many more in disarray; it's not really a car for London/ Essex. Imho the 350Z was a far better setup for UK roads.

For those of you that get to use the car & a half decent road, with no speed cameras & not much traffic then yes this car would be more useful. I must say I'm disappointed in build quality. I have a job & I don't really have time to work for the car; don't have time to be taking off work jeopardizing my job to maintain a vehicle to the extent below:
  1. They've used 1-earthing wire on the rear indicators on the LCI models, (previously 3 earthing wires) & this overloads the circuit. This is well documented;
  2. A fool on the design team didn't put a rubber bung in the amplifiers causing water-ingress & making blowing amplifiers;
  3. A cheap plastic oil pan; which warps at 40,000 miles, leaking oil, ruining your driveway & not to mention engine damage! So you need to replace with a £1k alluminium-pan (which should've been OEM in the first place);

Many of you will attack me for this now I as I've insulted your pride & joy, but personally I don't think this is acceptable on a £10k car, on a £50k car it is outrageous. I think they have marketed the car for ultimate short-term benefit (performance), gaining high-ratings, but I think as time goes on these ratings will drop considerably.

Thank you for suspension input - I can't warrant adjusting the suspension on a new car. In my mind BMW should have programmed more adjustable settings to the suspension.
Also comfort mode feels so lame, whereas the 350Z just felt more torquey. Sure just turn on Sport+ all the time.

New Car:

So looking into the Julia Quadrifoglio Alfa's reputation has been well earned in that this car is not without it's issues. Out the window!

M3 - I could stretch to £40k if I love it; but to be honest the M2 has left such a bad taste in my mouth it's put me off M-cars. Also it looks like the fuel actuators go every 30k miles because BMW used a plastic cheap cog which wears; thanks BMW! There are people out there who have machined their own brass cogs which last forever; an another big oversight by BMW here! Does the adaptive suspension settings enable so much softer a setting?

Lexus RC300 - Lovely interior, but the crap sat-nav lets it down & performance is abismal. Fantastic customer service & superior build quality.

BMW M340i - This may be a real option; are they much softer? Around £20 - £25k this is really quite good value & I think I'd probably be happier in this.

BMW M240i - this seems pretty bleak tbh.

Nissan 370Z - I hear the lack of torque is disappointing & the interior will feel pretty bleak compared to BMW.

An Absolute Old Banger - I've been a petrol head all my life, sports-bikes & cars all the time; can one forego petroleum & still live a happy life?

Now let the stoning commence .
As others have said, this isn't the car for you. There are so many things you don't like about it that I think it is beyond salvaging. That said, the M3 w/ adaptive does have a more compliant ride. X2 if you go with adaptive AND 18" wheels. That said, best BMW recommendation for you is probably an M340 given your desire for a more compliant ride, a car that doesn't lack torque, and you've already ruled out the M240 which has tons of torque and a very compliant ride. Can't comment on other non BMW cars you are considering because I do not have experience with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #29
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys, some great input. A friend of mine had the Range Rover Sport, beautiful inside, but the build-quality was bad. The suspension failed; £5k to fix .

If the M340i's cabin is better sound-insulated that would be great. That's the favourite atm I think.
One other thing I wanted to say.

Before I had the M2 I had an '18 Lexus IS 350 FSport. The car was fantastic, inside and out, and obviously the build quality is off the charts. The car didn't suit me as well as I had wanted, it was too posh, the features weren't masculine enough, and it didn't have an inspiring sound. But in all other areas the car really shined. The interior is fantastic, a really nice place to be. And the tech is top notch.

You really should check one out.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      11-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #30
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
I see you're still clutching for dear life to your idiot card
Never had one! I'll just borrow yours should I need it.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #31
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
OP, get the Alfa Romeo and let us later know how terribly wrong this article is.
I've had quite a few cars & never have I disliked anything as much as the M2. I was very impressed with my friends M3 which pushed me towards the M2. But an M2 is not an M3, it's a cheap M3, so maybe that's why I hate it; compared to my friends satisfaction.

I've had 2 BMW dealer's call me regarding the sale (offering peanuts obviously). But they've both said they're getting a lot of exchanges on the M2 due to ride quality; so it seems it's not just me with the issue!

VisualEcho I agree, I loved my IS200, just needed more power really. I'm not too keen on the IS' but I'll look into your recommendation. Loved the interior of that car & that's where I am most of the time LOL.

Bit my lip with the silly comments, idiots need not post anymore .
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #32
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Think it is indeed terribly wrong ...because the reliabiliy index link in this article
https://www.reliabilityindex.com/ shows that the BMW M5 and M6 are the worst cars just after the Maserati Granturismo .
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:20 AM   #33
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
I've had quite a few cars & never have I disliked anything as much as the M2. . . Bit my lip with the silly comments, idiots need not post anymore
D

It is cool that the M2 was not for you, and I do not even disagree with the reasons you provided for not enjoying the M2 . . . as per my prior post, I am not even sure I would consider owning a car if I lived in a large city, let alone an M2.

That said, if I were to walk into Notre Dame stadium with a sign that says 'Fighting Irish suck!,' I might expect a few harsh comments.

Personally, I am not that sensitive and really do not care one way or another if you like the M2 . . . but there are some pretty passionate Fighting Irish fans around these parts

///AVM
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
doug_9992538.50
      11-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #34
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
I've had quite a few cars & never have I disliked anything as much as the M2. I was very impressed with my friends M3 which pushed me towards the M2. But an M2 is not an M3, it's a cheap M3, so maybe that's why I hate it; compared to my friends satisfaction.

I've had 2 BMW dealer's call me regarding the sale (offering peanuts obviously). But they've both said they're getting a lot of exchanges on the M2 due to ride quality; so it seems it's not just me with the issue!

VisualEcho I agree, I loved my IS200, just needed more power really. I'm not too keen on the IS' but I'll look into your recommendation. Loved the interior of that car & that's where I am most of the time LOL.

Bit my lip with the silly comments, idiots need not post anymore .
Using my M2C mainly on the back roads I think the suspension is just perfect . If London is your main drive I am sure it is different but what is the point of any sport car in these conditions. To the original question I tested the Alfa Guilia Quadrifoglio and the supension is definitely more compliant.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #35
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Buys a M2 and complains car is bumpy 😂😂 . Unbelievable things you see in the forums nowadays smh
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #36
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You guys don't know what a "bumpy" car is until you've owned an RSX lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #37
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_OZ View Post
Buys a M2 and complains car is bumpy 😂😂 . Unbelievable things you see in the forums nowadays smh

In his defense, he probably didn't realize how choppy the M2's suspension would feel, in relation to his commute, prior to purchase. And even with a test drive, you can only get so much out of that, to really ascertain how the suspension might react, on a daily basis.

Most people just like how the car looks or sounds and merely roll the dice on it fitting into their other needs and wants, banking on that renown, BMW-like comfort..

I know exactly what he is taking about; highway speeds, on semi jagged roads sometimes feels like a pogo-stick, with a constant up and down seesaw motion. And don't get me started on the constant dampers crashing, on most, if not all road imperfections.

Those of you that are privileged to live in regions with decent quality roads might never see his point of view and that's human nature but try to realize that is a big world out there, so maybe keep an open mind and try to not get so easily offended by other member's opinion.

That's why I was so eager for the addition of Adaptive Suspension on the M2 variant, to maybe smooth this jagged rebound but that was unfortunately only delegated to the all mighty CS.
Appreciate 5
///AVM2528.00
scoale682.00
Moflow2484.50
doug_9992538.50
      11-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #38
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
So 2 BMW dealers reach out to you telling you that they hear "a lot" that the M2 has a problematic ride quality + they offer "peanuts" for your car. But they want to buy your car, albeit for cheap money. Probably they will also make you believe that the "peanuts" they offer you is actually a great deal to get rid of this "problematic" car.

IMHO they carefully listened to you and then flavored the conversation with some 'confirmation bias'. Sales talk 101.

It's a BMW M car. For a softer, more plush, suspension set-up, BMW has other cars in its portfolio. BMW M engineers extensively test pre-production cars in order to find a 'compromise' suspension set-up, fit for purpose (2 in 1 car). I had an M2 and now have an M2C and drove/drive the cars over all sorts of roads good and bad, so can only speak for myself: zero complaints about ride quality. Maybe I'm like the car's stock suspension set-up: compliant ?
      11-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #39
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I watched a video of Chris Harris the other day testing an M2 competition & to quote "the M2 does not work as a daily driver... only on the track" which I agree with wholeheartedly. Many, many people are not happy with the ride on the M2. It is abnormally harsh! Categorizing it as a normal M-car just isn't the case! As others have mentioned (thanks for backing me up guys) it is abnormal! My guess is you haven't owned many vehicles.

Quote:
IMHO they carefully listened to you and then flavored the conversation with some 'confirmation bias'. Sales talk 101.
Sure - if they search the 250 M2's for sale atm LOL.

As mentioned in my OP I do drive down country lanes & motorways. They should've put adaptive suspension on the M2. I thank the more mature members for their comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #40
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
I watched a video of Chris Harris the other day testing an M2 competition & to quote "the M2 does not work as a daily driver... only on the track" which I agree with wholeheartedly. Many, many people are not happy with the ride on the M2. It is abnormally harsh! Categorizing it as a normal M-car just isn't the case! As others have mentioned (thanks for backing me up guys) it is abnormal! My guess is you haven't owned many vehicles.

Quote:

As mentioned in my OP I do drive down country lanes & motorways. They should've put adaptive suspension on the M2. I thank the more mature members for their comments.
This car was not made to be comfortable, if you wanna be in a nice soft ride then go buy a lincoln.
Yes ive own many many cars before
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #41
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
The M2 suffers from too high rebound IMO, which really shows up on larger bumps. It handles smaller road features just fine. When I drove mine home from the dealer I was surprised at how harsh medium/large road features were. My Fat Cat Motorsports Stage 3 bespoke suspension on my F31 has just about the same rear ride frequency as the M2 (so the effective spring stiffness is the same) but handles larger bumps much better so they don't upset the car nearly as much.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #42
Connors5453
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
I can add to discussion that The m performance suspension does solve a lot of this when dampers are adjusted for comfort, however if you want any sort of improvement in handling then you have to run them on the stiffer side but overall still more comfortable than stock
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #43
swc5150
Private
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo

Check out the M240? Something drew you to the M2, so I’d think the M240 may have what you’re really looking for? The ride can be daily cruiser in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50
      11-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #44
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a rookie as regards the F87, so please excuse my ignorance.

Someday I'll buy me one and will let you know.
Poochie9099.00